The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 09-08-2006, 01:02 PM

actors/actress who have disappeared from the face of earth ?

he actress that comes to my mind is Suzanna Love.

She was never a big star but she was perhaps considered to be some kind of video-queen back in the 1980's. She played in several horror movies (the boogeyman, Olivia, Devonsville terror) directed by Ulli Lommel, and was also married with him.

I find nothing about her after 1991
Advertisements  
Old 09-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Raymond Allen. Played the Aunt Esther's hapless drunken husband Woody in "Sanford and Son."

Bill McLean. A recognizable face who was in tons of bit roles, playing small, mousey, comical characters. (I mostly remember him as Les Nessmans long-lost barber father in an ep of "WKRP.")

Maren Jensen. "Battlestar Galactica" babe.

Bambi Woods. Widely reported to have have ODed in 1986. Not confirmed or corroborated.

Amos Reese. Frequent authority figure in the 1950s "Amos 'n' Andy" series. I think he probably died in 1979 (California Death Index). But there's absolutely no biographical info on him anywhere.

Ernest 'Skillet' Mayhand. Another "Sanford and Son" alumnus. He and Leroy Daniels (supposedly, the real-life inspiration of Red Foley's song "Chattanooga Shoe-Shine Boy) performed as "Leroy and Skillet." Daniels died some years ago. Who knows about Mayhand?

If I think of more, I'll add.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

... Well, he is in the IMDB, but he's not best known as an actor: Harold Holt

(And he also azppears as a character in The Last Bastion and Vietnam)

But perhaps that kind of disapparance is a bit more than you were thinking of.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:40 PM

Joe Pesci hasn't done thing since 1998, although according to the IMDB, he hs something commig out this year.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:52 PM
BANNED

Chris Tucker- no movies since Rush Hour 3.

Amy Locane kinda disappered after Blue Sky, School Ties & Airheads.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Charmian Carr.

Had one TV movie and one real movie back in 65/66. No one remembers the TV movie, but she will be forever remembered as Liesl von Trapp in The Sound of Music.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:07 PM
BANNED

Also Nell Potts (Paul Newman's daughter) one great movie role (Effect of Gamma Rays...) then nothing.

Judith O'Dea has been pretty much MIA since Night of the Living Dead.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:12 PM

Bettie, Bettie, where can you be?
Old 09-08-2006, 02:20 PM

Jan Smithers, gol dangit.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Steven Rogers. Played "Doc" in the first season of "Combat," then he was in a couple of ski and sand movies.

Then. . . . nothing.

Melonie Haller. Played an associate Sweathog on the last season of "Welcome Back, Kotter." That was it, although she apparently married some photographer or artist.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
Maren Jensen. "Battlestar Galactica" babe.
And her blonde Galactica counterpart Laurette Spang.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Bairn
Judith O'Dea has been pretty much MIA since Night of the Living Dead.
I saw a neat documentary called Something to Scream About that featured an interview with Judith O'Dea. She is now a bright, middle-aged, businesslike lady, but she obviously has fond memories of her brief turn as a "scream queen." She has a website and a blog.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan
Joe Pesci hasn't done thing since 1998, although according to the IMDB, he hs something commig out this year.
Yeah, his prostate.

bDOOM *kssh*

I was curious about Jane Badler and discovered that V might come back.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoke-
Bettie, Bettie, where can you be?
I ain't seen the likes of you in Hustler Magazine!

A BR5-49 reference, and about Bettie Page no less. Well played. Have you seen the recent photos (from the last year or so) of Bettie at a Playboy Mansion party? There was one of her with Hef, and another of her in between Pamela Anderson (who looks awed) and Anna Nicole Smith (who looks dazed). She has aged, but still has that radiant smile.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

The ultimate trivia answer, Klinton Spillsbury.

Exactly one credit, a starring role, and never heard from again. In this case, they did pull the mask from the ol' Lone Ranger.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Pseudolegal

Quote:
Chris Tucker- no movies since Rush Hour 3.
There...was a third one?
Old 09-08-2006, 05:27 PM
BANNED

Oops I meant since Rush Hour 2, probably nothing until Rush Hour 3 materializes
Old 09-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

The kid from the original Willy Wonka. That was his only film role, now he's a veterinarian in upstate New York.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Voodoo Lou
A BR5-49 reference, and about Bettie Page no less. Well played. Have you seen the recent photos (from the last year or so) of Bettie at a Playboy Mansion party? There was one of her with Hef, and another of her in between Pamela Anderson (who looks awed) and Anna Nicole Smith (who looks dazed). She has aged, but still has that radiant smile.
I thought that might bring a BR5-49 fan out of the woodwork.

And no, I haven't seen any recent photos of Bettie. Last I heard, she was living in Florida and refusing photographs because she wanted people to remember her the way she was. I gather that has changed?
Old 09-08-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Maren Jensen. "Battlestar Galactica" babe
Yanno, for whatever reasons, this woman popped into my head the other day and made me wonder, "Whatever happened to Maren Jensen?"

Yes, I knew her actual name. Can't remember what her characters name was.

I have no idea why I suddenly thought of her after 25+ years.

She will probably die of an overdose/car accident/nuclear explosion now because this would be how things work.

Whatever happened to Lauren Tewes and Captain Stubing?
Old 09-08-2006, 07:29 PM

Carrie Henn (Newt from Alien 2). Apparently enjoying post-college life right now...
Old 09-08-2006, 07:36 PM

I haven't seen Mary Miles Minter in anything since Trail of the Lonesome Pine. Wonder what she's been up to?
Old 09-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

William "Officer Obie" Obanhein. Got very good notices playing himself in Alice's Restaurant, but immediately went back to his day job arresting people for litterin'.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:19 PM

Sarah Holcomb.

Appeared in four movies in a two year period, including both Animal House and Caddyshack, where she played Maggie, Danny's girlfriend.

Caddyshack was her last role, according to IMDb.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:24 PM

Ms. Christopher Norris, saucy brown-eyed blonde best remembered as Nurse Ripples on Trapper John, MD. Last surfaced on a TV show called Diagnosis Murder in 1998.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Sith Mod

Possibly the only woman to believably play the "nerdy girl who's really hot" in a movie (in both Revenge of the Nerds and Real Genius), Michelle Mayrink stopped acting in 1988 to move to Canada, raise a family, and practice Zen Buddhism full time.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Steven Rogers. Played "Doc" in the first season of "Combat," then he was in a couple of ski and sand movies.
I'm pretty sure he's working in New York as leader of a small group of highly skilled--some might even say superhuman--government operatives, and dating a cute but absurdly petite oriental chick.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Diane Franklin - I absolutely loved her in Better Off Dead and Last American Virgin. I see on IMDB she's done some sporadic TV work since her last major film role in 1989, I thought she should have been a huge huge huge star.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Diane Franklin - I absolutely loved her in Better Off Dead and Last American Virgin. I see on IMDB she's done some sporadic TV work since her last major film role in 1989, I thought she should have been a huge huge huge star.
Good news: She's still looks great and she's back working again.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure he's working in New York as leader of a small group of highly skilled--some might even say superhuman--government operatives, and dating a cute but absurdly petite oriental chick.
Glad to hear he's doing well. But you have to admit, it's like he dropped out of sight for fifty years.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:

And no, I haven't seen any recent photos of Bettie. Last I heard, she was living in Florida and refusing photographs because she wanted people to remember her the way she was. I gather that has changed?
Here's the image I was referring to, modern-day Bettie flanked by Pamela and Anna. Totally work-safe as a direct link, but I don't know what's on the rest of the site:
http://www.punkglobe.com/images/bettiepam.jpg
Old 09-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Kristin Holby. Played Dan Ackroyd's snotty girlfriend in "Trading Places." Two movie roles, and. . . nada.

BTW, I don't consider people who simply left the business for one reason or another "dropping off the face of the earth. The names I've listed are people whose credits end after a certain point, and there's no biographical info on them after that.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Ernest 'Skillet' Mayhand. Another "Sanford and Son" alumnus. He and Leroy Daniels (supposedly, the real-life inspiration of Red Foley's song "Chattanooga Shoe-Shine Boy) performed as "Leroy and Skillet." Daniels died some years ago. Who knows about Mayhand?
See Black American Writers Past and Present: A Biographical and Bibliographical Dictionary, by Theressa Gunnels Rush, Carol Fairbanks Myers, and Esther Spring Arata. Two volumes. Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press, 1975.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:41 AM

Please. It's after midnight on a freaking weekend. Spare us the bibliography.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:44 AM
Charter Member

Gary Smith. He was the black actor (Hitler and Abe Lincoln) in "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes." Whereabouts unknown.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:47 AM

P.S. Ernest Mayhand is now 90 years old, and lives in Los Angeles.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

Cool. Thanks!
Old 09-09-2006, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Also Nell Potts (Paul Newman's daughter) one great movie role (Effect of Gamma Rays...) then nothing.
She's pictured with "Pa" Newman, doing their own version of American Gothic, on numerous Newman's Own products.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Maren Jensen. "Battlestar Galactica" babe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley Ujest
Yanno, for whatever reasons, this woman popped into my head the other day and made me wonder, "Whatever happened to Maren Jensen?"

Yes, I knew her actual name. Can't remember what her characters name was.

I have no idea why I suddenly thought of her after 25+ years.

She will probably die of an overdose/car accident/nuclear explosion now because this would be how things work.
Her character's name was Athena.

Maren Jensen was one of my early adolescent crushes and the only reason I watched the original "Battlestar Galactica." Unfortunately, she seemed to appear less on the show as the season went on so I often found myself slogging through episode after episode of this cheesy Star Wars-wannabe without getting my weekly Maren fix.

Anyway, years later I'm reading a snarky review of Reagan-era America called "The Clothes Have No Emperor" by Paul Slansky and see a Maren Jensen listed in the Acknowledgments section. I'm not 100% sure it was the same one but how many other women named Maren Jensen could there be?

As for what happened to Jensen, according to IMDB biography, she stopped acting in the early 80's after being diagnosed with Epstein-Barr. She also dated Don Henley for a time. I also remember reading at another site that she married and moved to the Midwest.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:44 AM
Charter Member

I usually write the actresses off as Marrying Well and the guys as Real Estate Agents. It's surprising (or NOT surprising, depending on how much you respect my ESP-fu) how often I'm right. there are some people who realize that acting is a sucky job and there are better jobs out there.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:23 AM

Quote:

She's been in "Playboy" in the recent past (few) years. Not a pictorial, but in the "party" section at a Mansion party with Hef. She looks fine (she's in her 70s, I think), and as someone posted above, she has the most delightful smile - same as in her heyday.

VCNJ~
Old 09-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walloon
She's pictured with "Pa" Newman, doing their own version of American Gothic, on numerous Newman's Own products.
Is that who that is!?!?! 'Cause I knew that wasn't Joanne Woodward!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan

I'm not talking about artists that haven't been in movies recently, but artists that seams to have disappeared from the face of the earth

I've searched for Suzanna love on the net, but didn't find anything about her after 1991
Old 09-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Claudia Wells , Jennifer in the first Back to the Future.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth
Claudia Wells , Jennifer in the first Back to the Future.
The reason why she didn't play in the sequel (according to the message board on IMDb)

Quote:
Little Known Fact::Everyone knows that Jennifer was played by both Claudia Wells (pt 1), and Elizabeth Shue (Pts. 2&3) But not alot of people know why. Claudia Wells was a manic depressant, and in 1989 was in such bad condition that she couldn't act. She went "crazy". She now feels better, and says she is willing to do another BTTF installment.
gozzip ?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0920148/board/nest/494709
Old 09-09-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walloon

Actually, I think she is the head of their organic products division. I assume it's a full-time job.