Five Vowels

Re the column on five-consecutive-vowel words
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_237.html

The OED also includes the word Rousseauian (influenced by the philosophy of Jean-Jacques Rousseau).

“The page cannot be displayed”

Did it include abstemious, facetious? I’ve forgotten the third one and any others. What are they?

Linky.

Five consecutive vowels, not five different vowels.

Thanks for “linky”, C’puntal. That opened.

Thanks, Mr. Mapcase.

My digressive effort, as you mayhave noticed, was two of the three English words that have each of the 5 pure vowels included in alphabetical order. There’s one more of which I cannot think.

That’s discussed in the -gry column. And words under discussion are actually facetiously, abstemiously and abstentiously, having all the vowels (including Y) in order. Of course, you can just leave off the -ly to have the “5 pure vowels” requirement, and abandon the poor neglected Y off in the corner. :smiley:

Khaaaaan!

loooool

While it’s claim to wordhood is tenuous, I’ll put forward eunoia. I’m only really posting it to link to chapter U of Christian Bok’s lipogram, which proves just what the dirtiest letter in the alphabet is. Just click on the poem to advance the pages. WARNING- page three is NOT SAFE FOR WORK! (That’s four clicks away- you’ve been warned! Besides, it’s art.)

Aieee!!!

that is so cool

I don’t know if you would call these “English” words, but hey,
unlike queueing, they’re in my dictionary.

grep ‘[aeiouy]{5}’ /usr/share/dict/words

Aeaean
cadiueio
Chaouia
euouae
Guauaenok

Notice that "euouae" has six in a row. It's the only one like that

in my dictionary which, I believe, is the Oxford American. You can throw a
“y” in there, if you like, and grep a coupla more words.

Hmmm, I don’t know if I would trust a dictionary that does not recognize a common word English like “queueing”. OneLook Dictionary, which claims to search 1062 online dictionaries (some must be very specialized, I think) does not find any of those except “euouae” and “Chaouia”. The first is found just once (in Wikipedia rather than a dictionary) and it appears to be a mnemonic string rather than a real word. “Chaouia” (also appearing just once, in Wikipedia) is, apparently, not only a proper name (of a North African language), but also French. The most usual English name for the language in question is apparently Shawiya.

By contrast, OneLook finds queueing in 17 different dictionaries. It is a real English word.

So let’s make up a word with seven consecutive vowels and popularize it on the net.

I think that’s a perfectly frageueiaous idea!

I disagree. I think it’s downright haeiouoieable.

And then what? Go down to the quarry to throw it in?

Aeaeae is essentially magic or the arcane, presumably aeaean is a magician or practitioner of the arcane arts. At least that’s what I recall from a dictionary of recondite words (read it some time ago, may be mistaken).

sudont’s dictionary might not include inflected forms, which would be why it omits “queueing”.

I’m getting “Page not found”, and now I’m really curious.