Please Settle the Daniel Dingle Debate

Is Daniel Dingle’s water powered car legitimate?

According to Daniel, the IMF and the World Bank prevent him from producing any product that will compete with their global monopoly.

Does his car really run on water or is it a hoax?

Please settle this debate once and for all.
Not with theory or speculations.
Straight dope proof about his car, and how it works or how it is a hoax.

I’m pretty sure that it’s a hoax but perhaps you could do us that favor of posting a link so that we can evaluate it. How could the IMF and the World Bank stop him anyway?

EDIT SPELLING: Daniel Dingel

The IMF and the World Bank help the Federal Reserve protect American business interests. They are notorious for their dominance often blames as the sole cause for world poverty, and billions in starvation.

Daniel mentions them in the following video:

How do I edit my posts? I mispelled some words.

While you are coming up with information for us to answer, why don’t you tell us the above information could possibly work. Not theory, just how any of makes any sense whatsoever and then how it would apply to the physical world.

Sure they do, in the minds of loons.

You can’t edit your posts here.

I don’t know anything about Daniel Dingel’s science, but usually people who claim their amazing invention is being quashed, rather than purchased, by The Powers That Be (and the IMF is hardly what you’ve represented it as), are what is scientifically known as “nutjobs”.

This is a skeptical board, and rightly so, though sometimes the skepticism dismisses analyses of propositions that appear zany from the outset (see my paragraph above). However, for a view of how this board analyzes similar, if slightly less wild, claims, check the thread on Steorn, an Irish company that claims to have discovered a “free” energy source.

I don’t know what you mean. I have no idea. The car is supposed to run on water. I don’t know how it would possibly work, so I have come here to make sure it is legit or illegitimate.

The last five million or so people to have made the same claim were frauds. What makes you think this Dingle is anything else?

I’d actually like to hear more on how the World Bank is responsible for the starvation of billions. Of people, I assume, but they might be starving musk oxen instead. Or harp seals.

We don’t know how it would run on water either. That is the problem. People that claim this stuff throw it over to you to prove or disprove when it should be the other way around.

I am just scared that he is going to be unwelcome competition to my car that runs quartz crystals.

Discuss

The idea of a water powered car has been around since at least 1935, and it seems to reappear every couple of years. This is usually in connection with people looking for investors.

Dingel, offers no explanation for how his vehicle works and has never demonstrated the technology. Dingel claims: "“The electricity from the battery splits the water into its hydrogen and oxygen components, and this hydrogen can then be used to power the car engine. Normally it takes temperatures of about 5,400 degrees Fahrenheit to generate hydrogen from water, but here I am just using an ordinary 12-volt battery.”

The actual electric cars that are in production, of course, follow the opposite principles, with water as the end product.

What do the IMF and the World Bank have a monopoly on? I’ve got plenty of criticisms of both institutions, but to my knowledge, they don’t sell any commodities, so I don’t see what they might have monopolized.

I’m not just pointing this out to play gotcha. If someone makes a vague claim like that about some powerful institutions, and it’s a claim that’s pretty easy to poke a hole in, it’s a clear sign he’s trying to distract attention away from his lack of evidence.

**lixluke ** – You have to understand that this board keeps an open mind, BUT extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.
In other words, if you say you have a brown dog, and we don’t have any proof about your dog’s color, we’ll believe you. But if you say you have a glowing green and purple dog that lays golden eggs, we think it’s up to you to prove that. Now, there’s no way a message board can prove that you don’t have such a dog, but for such a crazy claim, it’s really up to you to prove that you do. And we’re going to assume it’s not true until you do provide some proof.

And in fact, since not only have we never heard of a glowing green and purple dog or any real animal that lays golden eggs, but well-tested and long standing biological theory says that green and purple dogs or golden eggs are very very unlikely, we’ll probably want very good proof, and “See, my brother says it’s true” probably isn’t good enough. Neither is “I could prove it to you, but my Mom won’t let me.”

Basically someone claiming they have a car that runs on water is pretty close to claiming they have a glowing purple dog that lays golden eggs. The basic theories of physics that have been upheld by everything we can see about the universe say that there’s no way to run a car off of water, any more than you can heat a house by burning ashes. So while we can’t prove the nonexistence of it, we’re going to believe it’s not true (and keep firm hold of our wallets) until we get some extraordinary proof.

It is thermodynamically impossible to run a car “on water”. Water is H20. What chemical reaction could water undergo with the air that would liberate energy? The air is mostly N2, 02, CO2, H20 vapor, and Ar.

While water can react with the above chemicals, none of those reactions is exothermic. Meaning, it takes energy to make water react with nitrogen.

Contrariwise, when you react octane, C8H18 with 02, you get CO2 and H20 plus a bunch of energy. This energy is used to drive a piston, which turns a shaft, which turns the wheels of your car, and makes the car go forward.

With me so far?

So there is no known chemical process whereby water can react with elements in the atmosphere to release energy. If you want to convince me that such a process exists, you’ll have to demonstrate it. Since I have no good reason to suspect that such a process exists, in fact, I have good reason to suspect that such a process does not exist, I am justified in claiming that your process does not actually exist unless I can observe that demonstration.

Now, there are plenty of engines that USE water. Steam engines, for instance. Or we could imagine an engine that reacted metallic sodium with water to produce energy. But in those cases the source of energy is not the water. In the case of the steam engine, the energy comes from coal. In the case of a hypothetical sodium engine the energy comes from the sodium, and it would take much more energy to purify the metallic sodium than you could possibly get back by reacting the sodium with water.

Or you could claim that the engine is a fusion engine. Except then it wouldn’t be the water that’s the fuel, but hydrogen. Except we have good reason to suspect that low temperature fusion is impossible, and anyone who claims it IS possible will have to demonstrate that it is possible. Just asking people to prove it doesn’t work is impossible, because none of us knows how it works…because likely it DOESN’T work. I can’t prove you don’t have an invisible fire-breathing dragon in your garage, but I suspect that you don’t. But if you won’t let me into your garage, and won’t let me test for invisible dragons, I have no reason to listen to your claims.

See how that works?

Step 1, hook exhaust of one car to intake of the other and vice versa
Step 2
Step 3 Profit

In my scant knowledge of these things, Lemur866, I think the usual claim in these cases is that H[sub]2[/sub]O is split into H and O molecules, and the H is combusted in the O (+air). The method for splitting it is the mystery part, usually something to do with some unnamed “resonance” rather than electrolysis, which of course would take more energy than it would put in.

Well, it is certainly possible to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. I’ve done it many times myself with the aforementioned 12 volt battery, all for the amusement of myself and the high school kids I tutored. It certainly doesn’t take thousands of degrees.

Except no matter how you split H20 into H and O, you’re going to have less energy after you split and recombine than you did at the beginning. So it is physically possible to use a 12 volt battery to generate hydrogen, then use the hydrogen to power a car. Except you aren’t running the car on water then…you’re running it on a 12 volt battery. Now, it may be that this guy’s figured out a superefficient way to power a car on a 12 volt battery. But no one is gonna believe that, it is a laughable claim. Even the most thermodynamically efficient use of a 12 volt battery isn’t going to be enough to power a car for more than a few feet.

I just wasted fifteen minutes watching that video.

No.

That’s interesting, because in the video, he claims that more than one company wanted to buy his technology, but he didn’t like their offer. So these companies don’t have to worry about the IMF monopoly, but Daniel does? That’s a rhetorical question, because the real answer is that Daniel wants investors, and the IMF talk is just a dodge to explain why he would need investors.

No and yes, in that order. He purports that his car uses water as an energy source. He passes current from the battery through the water, producing hydrogen and oxygen by electrolysis. The engine (purportedly) runs on the hydrogen.

However, the problem here is that the energy gained by burning hydrogen can’t be any more than the energy it takes to seperate it out from the water in the first place. A system like he explains would require constant recharging of the battery from some external source, and thus it wouldn’t really be “running” on the water at all–it would be powered by whatever’s charging the battery.

It’s a hoax.

The biggest issue here is the thermodynamic impossibility of getting more energy out than you put in, which I covered above and other posters covered in more detail. If that doesn’t satisfy you, take a look in the video at the trickle of hydrogen produced from the water tank. Think that amount of hydrogen is enough to run an engine, even at idle? Hint: the answer is no.

And if that doesn’t convince you, ask yourself which is more likely:
a) Some guy has a wonderful idea that will make him and everyone involved filthy rich, but he just can’t seem to get it to market due to shady global monopolies that apparently do nothing overt, but leave the guy unable to produce more than one car at a time.
b) Some guy’s a scam artist and looking to fleece investors.

If you answered (b), I have a patent pending on a fan-powered car. All I need are some investors. See, you duct tape a bunch of portable fans to the hood of your car, and run them backwards to generate electricity. Then you hook up an electric motor…