The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 12-08-2006, 11:06 AM

Schick Personal Touch razor discontinued

I've had my Personal Touch since I was 13. It's just been discontinued. I am disgruntled.

It was just the best razor out there. It had the multiple blades and the aloe--and the reusable handle--but none of this swively-head, wires-over-the-blades NONSENSE that every other refillable razor for women seems to have, now.

Can anyone please, please point me in the direction of a satisfactory replacement? I've been trying to use a Schick Silk Effects and I just hate it. I can't get a close shave at all.
Advertisements  
Old 12-08-2006, 11:35 AM

Men's razors. They work soooo much better and never have any of that wire crap. I use the Mach 3.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:40 AM

hmmmm
Old 12-08-2006, 11:52 AM

I'm a big fan of Venus. The blades are expensive but they seem to last forever. No aloe strip tho.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly Chick
I'm a big fan of Venus. The blades are expensive but they seem to last forever. No aloe strip tho.
Don't like Venus. Don't like swively heads. I want to be able to control where the blade goes.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattua
I've had my Personal Touch since I was 13. It's just been discontinued. I am disgruntled.
Discontinued?

<Steriotypical Movie Scream>
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
</SMS>

The handle is nearly perfect for my hand: large enough so I can grip it comfortably, small enough so that I can hold it in a non-awkward position. *sniff sniff*

I guess I'll have to buy up as many of the refills as I can and start hunting.

...unless perhaps a refill from another blade will fit? I'll have to start checking in to that.

___
<< Manual? We've just been pushing buttons until it works. >>
Old 12-08-2006, 12:05 PM

I second the Mach 3. Wonderful razor for women. The swively head is not uncontrollable like I had assumed.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:48 PM

If you are at all interested, the Gillette Sensor 3 has an even less swively head than the Mach 3
Old 10-07-2012, 07:17 PM

I totally agree!

I just found out today that the personal touch razor was discontinued. Like you, I've had mine forever and love it, so of course Schick would get rid of it. I went on their web couldn't find any info about it. I was in Walmart today and then Rite-Aid, but what I saw in their selection just looked to circusy for what I need. That was the beauty of the Person Touch - it was very basic, but did a fabulous job. I did find blades for sale through Amazon from one of their online stores called The Razor Store. Eventually I will be out of options, but at least there are still blades available through online stores until I find something else suitable or Schick comes to their senses. Good Luck in your hunt.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
Men's razors. They work soooo much better and never have any of that wire crap. I use the Mach 3.
Yeah, but the head is a little narrow for efficiently shaving legs.

Try the Schick Intuition.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieS View Post
I just found out today that the personal touch razor was discontinued. Like you, I've had mine forever and love it, so of course Schick would get rid of it. I went on their web couldn't find any info about it. I was in Walmart today and then Rite-Aid, but what I saw in their selection just looked to circusy for what I need. That was the beauty of the Person Touch - it was very basic, but did a fabulous job. I did find blades for sale through Amazon from one of their online stores called The Razor Store. Eventually I will be out of options, but at least there are still blades available through online stores until I find something else suitable or Schick comes to their senses. Good Luck in your hunt.
It's been six years, but Sattua's still around. Maybe she'll come in and give us an update.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:11 PM

Okay, that was weird. I totally just read the OP and didn't realize that I WAS THE OP OMG!!!

I suffered a lot of years using a Venus razor with the most standard blades I could buy. I never liked it much. Recently though I discovered the disposable Venus razors. They give a great shave without wires or too much swively nonsense. Try 'em.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:06 PM

Ya know, the replacement blades for my beloved Schick Quattro seem to be either discontinued or not carried at my store anymore, so I decided to try the disposable Venus razors. Apparently, I am slightly razor disabled because they tend to give me razor burn and not really get a very close shave. I was hoping there would be an intense discussion of some fancy new thing that will work just great for me, but no.

Upon preview, I googled and discovered that I just need to go to a different store. Apparently, Walgreens carries the Quattro blades I'm after. Stupid Publix...
Old 06-18-2013, 01:56 PM

It's no 6 year gap but this thread's a bit zombie-flavored; I got a great deal on Schick blades that I didn't recognize (how do you turn down 4 refills for .79??) figuring since between my husband and I we have every razor handle known to modern man, I would have one that fit these 'Personal Touch' refills.
HA It is to laugh. I do not.

Anyone want them? I'll happily shove them in a puffy, prepaid SASE for you.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:06 PM

Nawth Chucka, You have "personal touch" replacement blades???!!! Can I Please have them???

Where do I send the SASE? My address is P.O. Box 2684 South Padre Island, TX 78597. I will happily pay you - more than .79

I have had my Personal Touch for 20 years!!! I love it. I can't believe it has lasted so long. I bought this razor in college, but now I share it with my husband and teen son. I used to buy the Personal Touch because it was inexpensive. Who knew it would last so long. Now I just can't find a razor that I like. I could buy P.T. refills at Walmart till last year. I stocked up on the refills, but now I've run out

Thanks!
Faith B.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslaTex View Post
Nawth Chucka, You have "personal touch" replacement blades???!!! Can I Please have them???

Where do I send the SASE? My address is P.O. Box 2684 South Padre Island, TX 78597. I will happily pay you - more than .79

I have had my Personal Touch for 20 years!!! I love it. I can't believe it has lasted so long. I bought this razor in college, but now I share it with my husband and teen son. I used to buy the Personal Touch because it was inexpensive. Who knew it would last so long. Now I just can't find a razor that I like. I could buy P.T. refills at Walmart till last year. I stocked up on the refills, but now I've run out

Thanks!
Faith B.
Hey Faith! What's an email address I can reach you and we'll exchange info? (If you want to create a Gmail just for this, I won't be offended.) I was reminded of the blades again today when I saw that Noxzema's entered the game w/ a razor that pivots; they have a 2 blade version that looks similar to the PT. I saw them at Walgreens.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:40 PM

W00T! I started a double-zombie!

Unfortunately I threw away my PT handle years ago. I guess IslaTex gets the blades.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:22 AM

Thanks Nawth Chucka!!

Please contact me at bugbog@mac.com.

You made my day. But now I'm going to have to shave once a month so I don't wear out those precious blades too fast
Old 07-08-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslaTex View Post
Thanks Nawth Chucka!!

Please contact me at bugbog@mac.com.

You made my day. But now I'm going to have to shave once a month so I don't wear out those precious blades too fast
And you have mail!
I've seen on here and other places there are things you can do to extend the life of blades, like wipe them dry w/ a cloth after every use and never use them on dry skin.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:16 PM

Get yourself a vintage Lady Gillette safety razor. They can easily be found on eBay.

I'm a guy and I use a vintage Gillette Super Speed on face. It puts any of the disposable or cartridge razor trash you can buy today to shame. Plus blades are waaaaaay easier on the wallet.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:48 AM

Nawth Chucka.... Any left??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawth Chucka View Post
It's no 6 year gap but this thread's a bit zombie-flavored; I got a great deal on Schick blades that I didn't recognize (how do you turn down 4 refills for .79??) figuring since between my husband and I we have every razor handle known to modern man, I would have one that fit these 'Personal Touch' refills.
HA It is to laugh. I do not.

Anyone want them? I'll happily shove them in a puffy, prepaid SASE for you.
Do you by any chance still have any left?? I just came across this and just thought I'd see if you did! My email is <mod redacted>

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Hal Briston; 10-04-2013 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: Removed e-mail address
Old 08-07-2013, 12:00 PM

I'm sorry, Alice, I don't. They went to a good home about a month ago.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:49 AM

OK, thanks for the reply!!
Old 10-04-2013, 01:13 PM

Personal Touch Razor

I have had my Personal Touch razor for over 15 years and loved it also. I have two blades left when my razor broke! I have found that the men's Schick Hydro 3 works really great. If anyone would like my two blades, I can mail them to you.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

As a guy, I also recommend the humble safety razor, once you get the handle unit, the only recurring expense are the blades, and I get far better face shaving results with a single blade safety razor than I ever did with the multi blade monstrosities
Old 12-09-2013, 10:15 PM

I would love them, ZENAVEN

Hello Zenaven! I have had my razor since the early eighties! how crazy is it that it is still in perfect shape?? they sure dont make them like that anymore!! I would love those razors if you have them I am down to my last refill. I can send you my address if you email me at tewanda7@yahoo.com. Let me know how much to ship. If you have a paypal account, i can send it there, or we can work something out . Thanks so much!!
Teresa