The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Sattua Sattua is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Schick Personal Touch razor discontinued

I've had my Personal Touch since I was 13. It's just been discontinued. I am disgruntled.

It was just the best razor out there. It had the multiple blades and the aloe--and the reusable handle--but none of this swively-head, wires-over-the-blades NONSENSE that every other refillable razor for women seems to have, now.

Can anyone please, please point me in the direction of a satisfactory replacement? I've been trying to use a Schick Silk Effects and I just hate it. I can't get a close shave at all.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 12-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Zsofia Zsofia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Men's razors. They work soooo much better and never have any of that wire crap. I use the Mach 3.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Sattua Sattua is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
hmmmm
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Surly Chick Surly Chick is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Face down in the dirt.
Posts: 2,499
I'm a big fan of Venus. The blades are expensive but they seem to last forever. No aloe strip tho.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Sattua Sattua is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly Chick
I'm a big fan of Venus. The blades are expensive but they seem to last forever. No aloe strip tho.
Don't like Venus. Don't like swively heads. I want to be able to control where the blade goes.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Nightsong Nightsong is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: DC (ish)
Posts: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattua
I've had my Personal Touch since I was 13. It's just been discontinued. I am disgruntled.
Discontinued?

<Steriotypical Movie Scream>
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
</SMS>

The handle is nearly perfect for my hand: large enough so I can grip it comfortably, small enough so that I can hold it in a non-awkward position. *sniff sniff*

I guess I'll have to buy up as many of the refills as I can and start hunting.

...unless perhaps a refill from another blade will fit? I'll have to start checking in to that.

___
<< Manual? We've just been pushing buttons until it works. >>
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-08-2006, 12:05 PM
WhyNot WhyNot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 30,178
I second the Mach 3. Wonderful razor for women. The swively head is not uncontrollable like I had assumed.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Zany Zeolite Zipper Zany Zeolite Zipper is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
If you are at all interested, the Gillette Sensor 3 has an even less swively head than the Mach 3
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-07-2012, 07:17 PM
MaggieS MaggieS is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I totally agree!

I just found out today that the personal touch razor was discontinued. Like you, I've had mine forever and love it, so of course Schick would get rid of it. I went on their web couldn't find any info about it. I was in Walmart today and then Rite-Aid, but what I saw in their selection just looked to circusy for what I need. That was the beauty of the Person Touch - it was very basic, but did a fabulous job. I did find blades for sale through Amazon from one of their online stores called The Razor Store. Eventually I will be out of options, but at least there are still blades available through online stores until I find something else suitable or Schick comes to their senses. Good Luck in your hunt.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Imasquare Imasquare is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
Men's razors. They work soooo much better and never have any of that wire crap. I use the Mach 3.
Yeah, but the head is a little narrow for efficiently shaving legs.

Try the Schick Intuition.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-08-2012, 01:33 PM
cochrane cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieS View Post
I just found out today that the personal touch razor was discontinued. Like you, I've had mine forever and love it, so of course Schick would get rid of it. I went on their web couldn't find any info about it. I was in Walmart today and then Rite-Aid, but what I saw in their selection just looked to circusy for what I need. That was the beauty of the Person Touch - it was very basic, but did a fabulous job. I did find blades for sale through Amazon from one of their online stores called The Razor Store. Eventually I will be out of options, but at least there are still blades available through online stores until I find something else suitable or Schick comes to their senses. Good Luck in your hunt.
It's been six years, but Sattua's still around. Maybe she'll come in and give us an update.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Sattua Sattua is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Okay, that was weird. I totally just read the OP and didn't realize that I WAS THE OP OMG!!!

I suffered a lot of years using a Venus razor with the most standard blades I could buy. I never liked it much. Recently though I discovered the disposable Venus razors. They give a great shave without wires or too much swively nonsense. Try 'em.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Dogzilla Dogzilla is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Ya know, the replacement blades for my beloved Schick Quattro seem to be either discontinued or not carried at my store anymore, so I decided to try the disposable Venus razors. Apparently, I am slightly razor disabled because they tend to give me razor burn and not really get a very close shave. I was hoping there would be an intense discussion of some fancy new thing that will work just great for me, but no.

Upon preview, I googled and discovered that I just need to go to a different store. Apparently, Walgreens carries the Quattro blades I'm after. Stupid Publix...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Nawth Chucka Nawth Chucka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
It's no 6 year gap but this thread's a bit zombie-flavored; I got a great deal on Schick blades that I didn't recognize (how do you turn down 4 refills for .79??) figuring since between my husband and I we have every razor handle known to modern man, I would have one that fit these 'Personal Touch' refills.
HA It is to laugh. I do not.

Anyone want them? I'll happily shove them in a puffy, prepaid SASE for you.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-07-2013, 01:06 PM
IslaTex IslaTex is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Nawth Chucka, You have "personal touch" replacement blades???!!! Can I Please have them???

Where do I send the SASE? My address is P.O. Box 2684 South Padre Island, TX 78597. I will happily pay you - more than .79

I have had my Personal Touch for 20 years!!! I love it. I can't believe it has lasted so long. I bought this razor in college, but now I share it with my husband and teen son. I used to buy the Personal Touch because it was inexpensive. Who knew it would last so long. Now I just can't find a razor that I like. I could buy P.T. refills at Walmart till last year. I stocked up on the refills, but now I've run out

Thanks!
Faith B.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Nawth Chucka Nawth Chucka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslaTex View Post
Nawth Chucka, You have "personal touch" replacement blades???!!! Can I Please have them???

Where do I send the SASE? My address is P.O. Box 2684 South Padre Island, TX 78597. I will happily pay you - more than .79

I have had my Personal Touch for 20 years!!! I love it. I can't believe it has lasted so long. I bought this razor in college, but now I share it with my husband and teen son. I used to buy the Personal Touch because it was inexpensive. Who knew it would last so long. Now I just can't find a razor that I like. I could buy P.T. refills at Walmart till last year. I stocked up on the refills, but now I've run out

Thanks!
Faith B.
Hey Faith! What's an email address I can reach you and we'll exchange info? (If you want to create a Gmail just for this, I won't be offended.) I was reminded of the blades again today when I saw that Noxzema's entered the game w/ a razor that pivots; they have a 2 blade version that looks similar to the PT. I saw them at Walgreens.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Sattua Sattua is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
W00T! I started a double-zombie!

Unfortunately I threw away my PT handle years ago. I guess IslaTex gets the blades.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-08-2013, 08:22 AM
IslaTex IslaTex is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Thanks Nawth Chucka!!

Please contact me at bugbog@mac.com.

You made my day. But now I'm going to have to shave once a month so I don't wear out those precious blades too fast
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Nawth Chucka Nawth Chucka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslaTex View Post
Thanks Nawth Chucka!!

Please contact me at bugbog@mac.com.

You made my day. But now I'm going to have to shave once a month so I don't wear out those precious blades too fast
And you have mail!
I've seen on here and other places there are things you can do to extend the life of blades, like wipe them dry w/ a cloth after every use and never use them on dry skin.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-08-2013, 02:16 PM
PotatoPeeler PotatoPeeler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Get yourself a vintage Lady Gillette safety razor. They can easily be found on eBay.

I'm a guy and I use a vintage Gillette Super Speed on face. It puts any of the disposable or cartridge razor trash you can buy today to shame. Plus blades are waaaaaay easier on the wallet.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-07-2013, 11:48 AM
AliceaM AliceaM is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Nawth Chucka.... Any left??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawth Chucka View Post
It's no 6 year gap but this thread's a bit zombie-flavored; I got a great deal on Schick blades that I didn't recognize (how do you turn down 4 refills for .79??) figuring since between my husband and I we have every razor handle known to modern man, I would have one that fit these 'Personal Touch' refills.
HA It is to laugh. I do not.

Anyone want them? I'll happily shove them in a puffy, prepaid SASE for you.
Do you by any chance still have any left?? I just came across this and just thought I'd see if you did! My email is <mod redacted>

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Hal Briston; 10-04-2013 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: Removed e-mail address
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Nawth Chucka Nawth Chucka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
I'm sorry, Alice, I don't. They went to a good home about a month ago.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-08-2013, 08:49 AM
AliceaM AliceaM is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
OK, thanks for the reply!!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Zenaven Zenaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Personal Touch Razor

I have had my Personal Touch razor for over 15 years and loved it also. I have two blades left when my razor broke! I have found that the men's Schick Hydro 3 works really great. If anyone would like my two blades, I can mail them to you.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-04-2013, 03:18 PM
MacTech MacTech is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Posts: 5,633
As a guy, I also recommend the humble safety razor, once you get the handle unit, the only recurring expense are the blades, and I get far better face shaving results with a single blade safety razor than I ever did with the multi blade monstrosities
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Tewanda7 Tewanda7 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
I would love them, ZENAVEN

Hello Zenaven! I have had my razor since the early eighties! how crazy is it that it is still in perfect shape?? they sure dont make them like that anymore!! I would love those razors if you have them I am down to my last refill. I can send you my address if you email me at tewanda7@yahoo.com. Let me know how much to ship. If you have a paypal account, i can send it there, or we can work something out . Thanks so much!!
Teresa
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.