Ask the girl who was in the hospital

1.Yes thet wake you up in the middle of the night out of a dead sleep to give you a sleeping pill.
2. Yes just when the sleeping pills kick in the come in and “take you vitals”.
3. No they don’t make you wear ugly, ass hanging out robes…at least were I stayed in my stretchy pants and tee shirt.
4.Hospital furniturture is the worse in the world.
5.Hospitail food is not as bad as reported.
6.They will take your blood for any damn reason. (usually at 4am right after the sleeping pins and the vitals.
7.They won’t let you lock you bathroom door…which I can understand, they don’t need people cracking they’re head open behind a locked door. But do I really need a nurse poking her head in every five seconds and making remarkes about how I should use a washcloth, as I have never don’e , ever (I use soap).

Oh and if you wander out of your room after being woken up for the tenth time in search of some kind of snack (as on does)you are told of course you can go were every yo want but WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUT OF BED???

All in all a fun experience. Any other questions?

Are you all better now?

Just askin’ – where was this hospital?

I’ve been in the hospital more times than I like to think about and I have never, ever, been wakened to take a sleeping pill. Never.

Also, just in case you are in the U.S., did you know you can refuse to let them draw blood? All you have to do is say no.

Why were you in the hospital?

Sort of defeats the point of going into the hospital, no?

If you don’t trust your doc’s plan, why stay?

bolding mine

That gave me the shivers.

I can only imagine what they do with sleeping pins.
I’m never going to the hospital.

Did you have any old ladies with dementia in your room? Cause I did. Man, that sucked.

They wake one up in the middle of the night to “take vitals” to be sure you are still alive. they would be in serious trouble were I to die at 10:00 Post Meredian and they didn’t find out until 6:00 Ante. :slight_smile:

No actually, but I got a rainboaw of meds out out it so I’m gettting better.

Errr…Jew Jersey actually. Princeton. (Didn’t see Hugh Laurie anywhere. Grumble.)

And I didn’t see any point in not letting them draw blood the quicker they let me the hell out of there with my medication which is all I wanted. 4am seems bit much though.

I had three red blood cells to my name (now I have 5!.)

This is very good to know, thank you. I’ve wondered for a while if this was reality or cliche. If I’m ever hospitialized (again, I haven’t been since age 1) they better not wake me up to give me a sleeping pill unless they’re prepared to babysit me given they cause me massive halucinations. And vomiting.

I don’t know if she qualified as demented but when I wasn’t being woken up by sleeping pills and blood pressure cuffs, it was by here ringing for the nurse to have her diaper changed. Sometimes they wouldn’nt pull the curtin. Fun, fun.

Hey I got no problem them taking vitals. I much prefer them coming by and poaking we with a stick to wheeling me out under a really ugly sheet.

I know it’s gotta suck getting stuck for blood so early in the morning. But they do it so the doctors will have results as soon as they come in in the morning and can further plan your treatment.

I agree, and would say the same. Just nit-picking.

Yes, usually. But sometimes it’s not due to the doc’s plan, but for the convenience of the staff. Which is not to say that this is not a valid reason, either, since IMHO hospital staff are usually just trying to do their very best.

However, a person does have a right to have a say in their own treatment. As we know, some doctors may be great diagnosticians and clinicians, but don’t take as much care with the patient’s comfort and feelings as they should.

I’ll give one example, and then stop hijacking:

Someone I know was in the hospital and they were having a hard time diagnosing what the heck was wrong with her. They’d take one sample, get negative results, and come back a few hours later for another, ad infinitum for a day or so. She also had rather small veins or something, because it was a major hassle to get a good stick. She finally told them, look, I’ll let you take one sample a day. Just take as much as you need all at once and then leave me alone. (She was eventually diagnosed with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.)

If only someone would invent a machine of some kind that could be attached to a patient’s finger and tell if they had a pulse.

I think they are more concerned about Mrs. Plant’s lawyer asking them, “Did you actually look at the patient to see if he was alive?” :slight_smile:

Um…

what’s with the Jew Jersey? Typo? Or other?