Lazy, good-for-nothing, troublemaking organs

There are many outstanding organs in the human body - like the heart, lungs and brain, doing their jobs under tough conditions and standing up to incredible abuse. Then there are the organs who have a much easier time of it, but can’t seem to avoid being attention whores and drama queens.

Bearing in mind that I do not necessarily have personal issues with any of these organs (their eccentricities are constantly on display in a pathologist’s job), here are some of the top offenders:

1. Organs that serve as conduits, but can’t even get that simple task right.

First, there is the esophagus, just your average muscular tube. With a semi-normal host who eats three times daily, that means at best a couple hours of real work and lots of time off. But that’s apparently too much to ask. Reflux? Give me a break. Look, you’ve been close neighbors with the stomach for eons (evolutionarily speaking). The stomach makes acid. Deal with it. If a little squirts your way, you’ve got a perfectly adequate sphincter to block it. When a bit leaks through, don’t get your nerve endings all worked up and produce massive burning sensations and worrisome chest pain - or worse, getting into a premalignant snit over it (Barrett’s esophagus).

The colon, though is worse. What’s up with this irritable bowel stuff? What have you got to be so irritated over? True, you’re full of shit most of the time, but that’s your fault. If you worked right, you could take care of things in the morning and have the rest of the day free for tennis and light reading. Instead you’re either nonfunctional or overactive. And at the least “insult”, you’ve got one standard passive-aggressive response: Let’s make polyps!
Look at your neighbor upstream, the small bowel. It’s longer than you and has a more complex job. You don’t see it cramping, complaining and making polyps at every turn. And speaking of complaining - could you hold down the noise? Just this week Ann Landers had a letter from a poor woman who did something entirely innocent like eating a three-bean salad or rabbit casserole - then at church service the resulting fart symphony was so embarassing that she is considering never going back to that church again. You’re impeding her spiritual growth. This is pretty hoity-toity stuff for an organ that isn’t even essential anyway. Plenty of people get along without a colon if they need to.

Other non-essential organs know their place. Take the spleen. You can live handily without a spleen. It’s a humble organ that doesn’t cause trouble. When’s the last time you heard someone say “I can’t go in to work today - my spleen is cramping up something awful.” Or, “Honey, pull into that rest area. I’ve got to vent my spleen.” On the other hand, the colon is always causing us trouble that way.

One more organ to gripe about is the thyroid. It’s passive-aggressive too. Since it is a solid organ, its knee-jerk response to any given stimulus is “Let’s make nodules!” Doctors can’t tell through scans which are Good Nodules and which are Bad, so they have to stick needles in the nodules, yank out cells, and I’m stuck looking at five zillion slides a day trying to interpret the mess. I am sick of the thyroid. I loathe it with the intensity of a billion suns. I never want to see another thyroid fine needle aspirate. I finish one, two more spring up in its place! I wanna go home.

Thank you, my spleen is vented.

Hm. I think we should biopsy that.

Musn’t forget another famous yet unnecessary organ: the prostate.

The Edsel of organs. Don’t need it. But, if you live long enough, it will do it’s best to awaken you repeatedly, make peeing take much longer than it used to, and then, to top it off, it’ll go malignant and try to kill you.

Would you like some ovaries to look at? You could have mine. Now, granted, I oughn’t be that ungrateful since they seem to function as they should so I’m very appreciative. However, it would be grand if the ovulation phase wasn’t accompanied by the feeling of carrying a large rock swinging about in one’s insides. Then there’s the late-PMS delight of ‘stab in both sides’ when I have the temerity to sneeze, cough, or rise from a prone position.

All in all, they’re not bad, but I would have preferred the Deluxe! Improved! models that worked silently and painlessly.

Although my excellent gyno did say that it’s the ones that hurt that turn out to be the healthiest so maybe I should love the little guys.

Oh you maybe want to rethink that. It has another couple jobs that you’d be sad without, I’m thinking.

No… I’m thinking you’ll want to keep that organ. Wiki up its job description, you’ll see.

Now, tonsils, I could live without. Them and their no-good tonsil stones. I’ve got plenty of other lymphoid tissue in my immune system, so can I please get rid of the damn tonsils?

And fill in my sinuses. I’ll flip my head upside down, someone mix up the cement and just pour it on up there. I’ll put up with the stuffy voice if it means no more sinus infections. My sinuses seem to have no other purpose than to raise large families of happy bacteria.

If you’re not in the market for offspring, the prostate is utterly useless. Unless, as noted, you’re interested in trouble peeing or getting cancer. Or the joy of a painfully inflamed prostate. The prostate goes beyond useless to being sociopathic.

You could say the same about the appendix, except it doesn’t get cancerous as much. And the appendix is really part of the colon, so it’s one more reason to dislike the colon.

The gallbladder is another useless drama queen. Its only real function is to help surgeons purchase BMWs. What’s so tough about being a gallbladder? The rest of the biliary tree manages just fine most of the time, one exception being when the gallbladder screws up and sends down stones.

The existence of all these warped and badly behaving organs just goes to prove how ludicrous the idea of “Intelligent Design” is.

Both you and Antigen might want to find out how actually unnecessary it is. Guys can live (and love, as it were) quite well without it. In fact, if it wasn’t for the nerve damage often caused by it’s removal, the only thing noticeable about it’s departure might be a lessening of volume. (Of course, a prostatectomy can also result in retrograde ejaculation (into the bladder), but that just means a smaller wet spot. :slight_smile: I’m unaware of any adverse effects of retrograde ejaculation. That is, unless you’re trying to fertilize someone. That could be a problem.)

For some reason these phrases stood out for me.
Kinda reminds me of Saturday night back at the frat house.

I was going to mention this one, too. The mnemonic for gallstones was an amusing one: The 4F’s (Forty, fat, flatulent, female)

Although it prefers to afflict females, it isn’t above torturing the occasional male. Oddly enough, I’ve heard anecdotal evidence that says that, following a cholecystectomy, patients sometimes report an increase in flatulence.

For women, that might be a drag. But for men it’s, “Nice rip, Joe!”

I’ll put my uterus on the list. Not everybody’s, but mine. The chances of my actually using it for its intended purpose are pretty much nil. It doesn’t actually cause me any unusual problems. Hell, it hardly even gives me cramps. But I don’t need it. I’m not going to need it. It doesn’t need to be setting up a nursery every 30 days or so. It sure as hell doesn’t need to make me BLEED every 30 days or so. It’s a waste of time and energy!

Stupid useless uterus.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=4842089&postcount=21

I always wondered what a doctor would say in the pit. My personal least favorite organs right now are my ovaries. If they’re not going to let me get me pregnant I wish they’d at least stop tormenting me with painful periods.

I should mention to the Prostate Defenders that another organ with virtually the same function manages to do its job without hassling its owner.

Two organs in fact - the seminal vesicles. They help make seminal fluid, and they’re sitting there in close proximity to the prostate, but do they cause trouble? Hardly ever, even with the prostate egging them on. They’re just nice-tempered placid paired organs.

I actually feel sorry for them - they’ve got the prostate for one neighbor and the rectum for another, kind of like living with the Hatfields and McCoys.

And no one has brought up the appendix?

See post #7. But you may denounce it as well.

I’m not going to touch that one with a ten-foot…ah, never mind.

There is definitely one organ in particular that gets a LOT of guys in trouble over here. :smiley:

The speech organ? Maybe that’s just me :stuck_out_tongue:

For oral, you mean? :smiley:

Appendix: Useless, indirectly traumatized me when my father’s nearly killed him years ago. More recently nearly killed my grandmother (who is down a number of organs/bodily bits and doing remarkably well).

Female reproductive system: Oh god take it all away please. As long as I have a say in it I’m never going to have kids. So what do those fair organs give me? A few days a month of physical and mental agony. Plus, I’m sure that the monthly spike in my sodium intake can’t be healthy, but apparently, my internal girly bits think that salt cures all ills.