The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 05-17-2007, 09:41 AM

Teen electrocuted while spray painting electrical substation

From here, sorry, I couldn't find a site that didn't require registration.

Quote:
An 18-year-old man suffered serious burns Wednesday after he was electrocuted while spray painting graffiti inside an electrical substation in northwest Santa Fe, according to police.

The man, who was airlifted to University Hospital with third-degree burns to 50 to 70 percent of his body, called 911 from his cell phone at about 4:30 p.m., said Assistant Fire Chief Ted Bolleter.
Yes, it's sad that this guy was hurt so bad (3rd degree burns on 50-70% of his body), but it's still pretty awesome.

Quote:
“Entering an electrical substation is a very dangerous thing to do,” Buell said. “We strongly encourage people not to duplicate this act.”
No kidding?

Last edited by Pygmy Rugger; 05-17-2007 at 09:41 AM..
Advertisements  
Old 05-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Why would you tag the inside of the box? How many people are going to see that, maybe two or three a year?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Nitpick: he is apparently still alive, therefore not quite "electrocuted."

Patiently awaiting the follow-up story describing the man's multimillion-dollar lawsuit against the electric company for failing to prevent him from jumping the fence and tagging the substation.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:51 AM

If you believe in a merciful Darwin, the accident will sterilize him without killing.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip
Patiently awaiting the follow-up story describing the man's multimillion-dollar lawsuit against the electric company for failing to prevent him from jumping the fence and tagging the substation.
This is the really sad part. I'm betting there's no insurance, a long and painful recovery, the utility company has deep pockets -- so they get vandalized and raped.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip
Nitpick: he is apparently still alive, therefore not quite "electrocuted."
So what do we call it when you don't die from it? (You're right...I'm just wondering what word we're supposed to use). "Shocked" doesn't have quite the punch I'm looking for.

Last edited by Kalhoun; 05-17-2007 at 09:55 AM..
Old 05-17-2007, 09:59 AM

I didn't realize electrocution necessarily resulted in death. I'll be darned.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNew
Electrocution, execution, I guess. I think electrocuted works better than "got shocked the crap out of" myself.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
It doesn't, does it? Isn't that why death sentences for the electric chair now have to specify "electrocuted until dead?"
Old 05-17-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P
Why would you tag the inside of the box? How many people are going to see that, maybe two or three a year?
I thought the substation refered to the vicinity, which could have one or several junction boxes.

Which doesn't make the dude any brighter.

Last edited by Pygmy Rugger; 05-17-2007 at 10:15 AM..
Old 05-17-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmy Rugger
Well, he was a bit brighter as the amps coursed through him. Nearly incandescent.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:32 AM

"Electrocute" is one of those words which, through constant misuse, is starting to mean something it didn't mean to begin with: that is, injury by electricity, not necessarily death. It was originally a portmanteau of electricity and execute, meaning death by electricity.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fachverwirrt
"Electrocute" is one of those words which, through constant misuse, is starting to mean something it didn't mean to begin with: that is, injury by electricity, not necessarily death. It was originally a portmanteau of electricity and execute, meaning death by electricity.
Learn something new every day; kind of like you haven't "drowned" unless you've passed out, I guess.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:55 AM

Just to make it official, according to webster:

Main Entry: elec·tro·cute
1 : to execute (a criminal) by electricity
2 : to kill by electric shock
— elec·tro·cu·tion \-ˌlek-trə-ˈkyü-shən\ noun

I also was not aware you needed to die to be electrocuted. Even using a thesaurus I could not find a better word for really big shock.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:00 AM

Depending on the degree of burns, 70% is often a death sentence.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

No sympathy for this idiot. I hope if he sues the jury laughs him out of court. I hate taggers anyway. This just made me smile.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:05 AM

I guess they could have had a warning sign posted. Someone would probably have painted it over with graffiti or something, though.

Oh wait....
Old 05-17-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrazor
This is the really sad part. I'm betting there's no insurance, a long and painful recovery, the utility company has deep pockets -- so they get vandalized and raped.
And even though juries aren't supposed to consider insurance coverage, they will know the utility company is covered, so this stupid vandal will probably get a hefty payout. Which does nothing to deter future Darwin Award candidates.

Burns are painful. Really, really, painful. I hope this kid considers his "art" worth it. Idiot.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Learn something new every day; kind of like you haven't "drowned" unless you've passed out, I guess.
Actually, you haven't drowned unless you have died.

I hope electrocution's meaning doesn't become changed by people using it in a new and different way. And I hope drown doesn't change either.

Last edited by I Love Me, Vol. I; 05-17-2007 at 11:12 AM..
Old 05-17-2007, 11:35 AM

From AskOxford.com

electrocute

• verb: injure or kill by electric shock.

— DERIVATIVES electrocution noun.

Sad, but true.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:40 AM

What's really amazing to me is that his cell phone survived the electric shock. I would think those suckers would short out.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:43 AM

Let me guess-the lawyer will sue, because the warning signs were NOT in english and spanish! Or maybe, the power company didn't have a high enough fence? Or (just occurred to me): the kid was actually an art student-he was working on his senior thesis!
Old 05-17-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E
What's really amazing to me is that his cell phone survived the electric shock. I would think those suckers would short out.
Nah, the phone wasn't part of the circuit. Kind of like a bird on a high voltage line.

As far as the shocked versus electrocution debate. I'd rather be electrocuted (dead) than covered 70-80% in electrical burns. Electrical burns start from the inside and work their way out.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncommon Sense
Nah, the phone wasn't part of the circuit. Kind of like a bird on a high voltage line.

Well, that's good to know should I ever be electro... get a really big shock.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I thought the substation refered to the vicinity, which could have one or several junction boxes.

I suppose, I remember reading about him jumping the fence, and I though I read something about him opening a door (to a box I assumed), I guess not.

I suppose it's a good thing he got a shock. I'd feel worse if the guy from the city's graffiti removal taskforce got zapped instead. Since he got shocked everyone else will be aware of the danger and I'm sure they'll either cut the power to cover it up, or the person doing the painting will wear appropriate gear.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Me, Vol. I
Actually, you haven't drowned unless you have died.

I hope electrocution's meaning doesn't become changed by people using it in a new and different way. And I hope drown doesn't change either.
, I was thinking of near drowning, which means you've passed out.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:51 PM

I have a disturbing/funny image of a beautiful, half finished mural, followed by an electrically induced scribbly line dropping down to the ground. Is that wrong?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:52 PM

So is there a term for what happens to me occasionally when I change out an electrical receptacle and accidentally cross the hot and neutral posts with my finger?

Zapped? Buzzed? Shocked?

Stupidity?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Quote:
So is there a term for what happens to me occasionally when I change out an electrical receptacle and accidentally cross the hot and neutral posts with my finger?

Zapped? Buzzed? Shocked?

Stupidity?
I'd go with that last term. Been there, done that. Ouch.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSwinglineOne
I have a disturbing/funny image of a beautiful, half finished mural, followed by an electrically induced scribbly line dropping down to the ground. Is that wrong?
Now I'm getting mental "Castle of Aaaaaaargh" images. Stop that!

Quote:
Bragging rights is about the only reason I can think of. "Hey guys, I got inside a box and actually tagged it without being electrocuted to death! You don't believe me? Take a look for yourself!"

Only, you know, he didn't.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:53 PM

Whoah, I just saw a picture of the dude's pants. The right leg was completely gone from the knee to the crotch, which was also missing and charred. They say he only has a "slim chance to live," but, I really don't feel any sympathy.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:29 PM

Well, I don't care what he was doing. I feel bad for anyone who "becomes one with the current". Especially when he wasn't trying to hurt anyone. I knew a guy who climbed a pole and crispified his hand and arm, which was amputated above the elbow. Not a bright move, but shit...that's gotta be awful.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalhoun
Well, I don't care what he was doing. I feel bad for anyone who "becomes one with the current". Especially when he wasn't trying to hurt anyone.
Not physically, of course. But he trespassed with the intent to deface property, which would've hurt someone financially, and would've required that someone(s) expend the effort to clean up his vandalism.

I wouldn't have sentenced him to near-fatal electric shock if I were a judge, but it's one of those completely avoidable, self-inflicted misfortunes that doesn't particularly jerk my tears, either.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:42 PM

Wow. Reminds me of a safety film ConEd showed us in high school about electricity. The highlight was a baboon that escaped from the zoo and blew itself up when it grabbed some high-power lines.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

What a complete and utter moron. Still, he's served a useful purpose by graphically reminding people how dangerous electricity can be.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Whoah, I just saw a picture of the dude's pants. The right leg was completely gone from the knee to the crotch, which was also missing and charred. They say he only has a "slim chance to live," but, I really don't feel any sympathy.
If his crotch is gone, it sounds like he might be in the running for a Darwin Award, even if he survives. I notice that the story hasn't been submitted just yet (The search capability isn't all that great and you can't sort submissions by date).
Old 05-17-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:

Zapped? Buzzed? Shocked?

Stupidity?
Shaking hands with Reddy Kilowatt?
Old 05-17-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, and that's why you're among friends here.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakesCatLady

Burns are painful. Really, really, painful. I hope this kid considers his "art" worth it. Idiot.
I thought third-degree burns are painless, though. Serious - life threatening, even - but not painful. It's the second-degree ones which are agonizing.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I had a teacher who said he wanted to die...in class...at his chalkboard...during a lecture...with a chalk mark going off the bottom of the board and the chalk still in his hand.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I had a teacher who said he wanted to die...in class...at his chalkboard...during a lecture...with a chalk mark going off the bottom of the board and the chalk still in his hand.
Please tell me he doesn't teach kindergarten?
Old 05-18-2007, 06:57 AM

ETD broad brush

Last edited by sinjin; 05-18-2007 at 07:00 AM..
Old 05-18-2007, 08:07 AM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Apparently, the tagger managed to knock out the DMV mainframe, killing all DMV services across the state, and took out some other systems as well.

The story I'm pulling this from has also upped the burn amount to about 80%.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Excellent
I thought third-degree burns are painless, though. Serious - life threatening, even - but not painful. It's the second-degree ones which are agonizing.
Well, to be honest, you don't just get 3rd degree burns without some second degree burning thrown in too. Electricity and fire are very generous that way.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncommon Sense
Well, to be honest, you don't just get 3rd degree burns without some second degree burning thrown in too. Electricity and fire are very generous that way.
Agreed. If I understand correctly, nobody ever really gets just a third-degree burn. You get a third degree burn (blackened at the center), ringed by second degree (red, blistered and openly weeping) and first degree (red and possibly blistered). Electrical burns might be different.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

I hope he doesn't get super powers, We don't need another villian to deal with.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Excellent
Initially, they are numb, however it doesn't take long until you need a morphine drip. My daughter suffered 3rd degree burns to 17% of her body and almost died. She was on morphine, ativan, versed (sp?) and many other drugs around the clock for weeks. This guy may deserve trespassing and vandalism charges, but nobody deserves what he's going to be going through, assuming he survives.

eta: She only had two dime sized areas of 2nd degree burn. She was burned with boiling water. IANAD, but I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about how much of a burn will be how bad.

Last edited by frog princess; 05-18-2007 at 12:29 PM..
Old 05-18-2007, 12:41 PM

frog princess:

Quote:
This guy may deserve trespassing and vandalism charges, but nobody deserves what he's going to be going through, assuming he survives.
I'm not a cruel person, but I have a hard time thinking that he did not invite this fate, and therefore deserve it.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:26 AM

Well, he's gone.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:48 AM

Stupidity gets another poster boy but a shame none the less.