Remakes That COULD Work

If Follywood didn’t screw them up. I know that it’s fashionable to dis on remakes, but occassionally, Follywood gets it right. The Maltese Falcon being a prime example of a remake that worked perfectly. I think that a properly done remake of Apocalypse Now set in modern day Iraq could work, if given the right cast, director, and script. Of course, Follywood would probably blow it, and the thing would play like Mission: Impossible: IV. What are some films that you think are ripe for a remake, if only Follywood wouldn’t fuck them up?

The Omega Man… No wait do a sequel. Survuivors fight off Cloaked Albinos in a post apocalyptic world that stopped progressing after 1975. Yeeeesssh The nightmares!

A more faithful rendering of Stephen King’s The Running Man could be pretty cool – especially in this era of reality television.

kingpengvin, you know a new version of** I Am Legend ** comes out this year, right?

I want to see **Greatest American Hero ** as a movie. Desperately.

That’s exactly what I was going to say. I recently purchased the GAH DVD set- the episodes have held up fairly well, but if there was ever any show that needed to be remade, it’d have to be that one.

Supposedly, there was a movie in the works a few years ago, but it must’ve stalled out.

I wanna see a remake of the 1931 Spanish-language Dracula, with Bela Lugosi playing Drac. But I guess I’m never going to see that–or could one Wise in the Ways of Photoshop make one?

There was talk of using a computer generated Bruce Lee to make an entirely new film. No idea of what happened to it, though. Computer tech is rapidly approaching the point where doing something like this would be possible for the home user.

Hollywood occasionally DOES get it right. The 1950s version of Moby Dick was infinitely better than the silent The Sea Beast.
I’d like to see them do I, Robot right. Despite the naysayers, I think Ellison’s script would be very filmable (especially with CGI). It has the approval of Asiomov himself. It certainly couldn’t be worse than the recent supposed version.
Or Heinlein’s The Puppet Masters.
I’ve wanted to do Fredric Brown’s Arena myself (ripped off many times, and ostensibly done as a Star Trek TOS episode). It could be extremely powerful, if done right.
And most of all I’d like to see Mark Twain’s A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court done with at the very least an attempt to translate Twain’s book onto the screen – and not make it a star vehicle or shoehorn it into an implausible version of a Politically Correct rewrite.

Well, one gulf war ago was Three Kings. Seems to be slightly related to Apocalypse Now, if not a remake.

I could see Damon/Affleck/DiCaprio re doing an old Film Noir. Maybe The Third Man or Double Indemnity. Lindsey Lohan could channel her own life to redo Valley of the Dolls. And I’d love to see what they could do with movies that are dialogue driven rather then action driven. Think African Queen
A few others I’d like to see
It Happened One Night
And…well I had a few others in mind, but so many of them, haven’t been redone, per se, but such similar movies have been done since, I don’t know that it would be worth it.

I don’t think Hollywood is ready to keep the compulsory nudity from the novel intact.

Hollywood filmmaking need not be our only method for getting a movie made.

I think if we know for a fact an audience exists for a given movie concept, it need not be financed through Hollywood as we have a fine tradition of independent film, Bollywood, Hong Kong cinema and internet movies.

I think a number of early films have the potential to be remade: frankly, I think the internet would be a fine medium to bring back two forgotten forms; serial adventures shorts and radio plays.

Lillian Hellman’s play “The Children’s Hour” has been filmed at least twice (in a bowdlerized version in 1936 as These Three and in 1961 as The Children’s Hour. I think a remake could be very powerful, and these days the filmmakers would not need to tiptoe around the subject matter.

Tuckerfan, who is this Follywood you keep talking about? You seem pretty pissed at him. Is he some kind of inept, Gilligan-like crewmember who screws up every remake ever in existence. Why, there’s been remakes of movies since the aughts, he must be some ancient old man now. How could you have such disdain for the elderly?

For shame, Tuckerfan, for shame.

I always thought the George Romero movie The Crazies was a film that was just screaming for a bigger budget treatment.

Oh wait, nevermind.

I have some great ideas if somebody wants to fund remakes of Star Wars I-III. And VI for that matter. :smiley:

Ask and ye shall receive.

There’s a remake of Sleuth coming out later this year; directed by Kenneth Branagh, screenplay by Harold Pinter, starring Jude Law and…

Michael Caine.

Now, the original was amazing (might even be worth a thread of its own) and it didn’t really need to be remade, but there just might be enough talent behind this new version to pull it off.

Bwahahaha. I am the World’s Biggest Fan of Bollywood and yet those two phrases do not go together.

I’ve always thought Race with the Devil was just screaming for a bigger budget treatment with more gore and nudity.

Oh wait, nevermind.

:rolleyes:

Fuck! Is there a horror movie from the 70s that hasn’t already been remade or is in the development stage of being remade?

At this point, I totally expect Blackenstein Returns to be in theaters by 2008.