Films that should be remade.

In this thread, the OP is dissatisfied with the 1966 film Fahrenheit 451 and argues that it should be remade. I haven’t seen the film, so I can’t comment. But I have seen the 1949 film The Fountainhead. I loved the novel, but IMO the film adaptation sucked. I think it’s a great story, and would love it if a competent & talented filmmaker would remake it.

What film(s) do you think should be remade? Bonus points given for older films based on well-known novels.

I would love to see an adaptation of Gulliver’s Travels done properly, giving the story the weight it deserves. The f/x are such that you could visit each story - not just the “Gulliver is a giant” one, but the Houyhnms, him as a tiny person, the story about how he would live his life as an immortal vs. how they actually do live, etc.

I would also like to see someone take on League of Extraordinary Gentlemen again.

HG Wells hasn’t been done too well lately - how about a new Time Machine movie?

To Kill a Mockingbird, but as a miniseries instead of a movie and to make it less a courtroom drama.

Gone With the Wind for reasons I’ve mentioned many times.

Bell, Book, & Candle- I think it could work as a light romantic “boy meets witch” comedy updated to include the Internet and cell phones and the question of “what’s the best and worst about magic in a modern world?”

Some Like It Hot, Seven Year Itch, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, etc…

Yeah, redo some classic Marilyn flicks, make them hotter, update to current social mores, add a couple of time traveling robots.

DUNE - give it the Peter Jackson 3 movie treatment so we can get some depth without silliness. Current effects would be fun to see. A proper treatment of several of the supporting characters would be appreciated. Add a couple of time traveling robots.

They LIVE! - NSA spying on us? No, it’s them! OBEY! Eat at Joe’s! Add a couple of time traveling robots and BAM! There ya go.

The Pit and the Pendulum - as cool as he was, Vincent Price’s version wasn’t that true to the story. Add a couple of… you get the point…

THey should never remake a classic, only movies that missed the mark.
We saw the original ‘Kiss of Death’ on Netflix the other day. Gawd, did it ever suck. How the hell did Richard Widmark get an Oscar nod for that?? The Riddler from the Batman TV show was more believable!

The remake was a much better film.

rumours lately of a remake of Slaughterhouse Five, written by Kaufman and directed by Guillermo del Toro…

Starship fucking Troopers.

A remake of M - but set in the immigrant communities of Manhattan around 1900.

Though the 1939 MGM version is a classic, it’s not really much like the original 1900 “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.” I’d love to see a genuinely faithful version of L. Frank Baum’s rather peculiar book.

“American Hot Wax” from 1978 inspired by Alan Freed. Only this tell us exactly what part of “Maybellene” did he write. You can even get Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and Frankie Ford to appear. Maybe even Jay Leno, Fran Drescher, Laraine Newman and Melanie Chartoff too.

I love “Run Silent, Run Deep” with Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster. But the novel’s author Edward L Beach Jr wasn’t satisfied, so perhaps try a mini series or film.

Oliver Stone’s "JFK’ only this time tell the truth instead of his fantasies . You could do the same with his entire oeuvre.

“It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World”
“King Rat”
“The Great Race”(with Pierce Brosnan in the lead).

I’d love to see this too–a movie based on the book, informed by the other Oz books and with character and set design based on the classic John R. Neill illustrations (yes I know this would be anachronistic since the TWWO was illustrated by WW Denslow, but so what?).

The problem is that a semi-faithful remake that captured the spirit of the book(s) could not happen in today’s media landscape.

I would love to see Chris Nolan do an update of the Shadow. Alec Baldwin’s version is fine, but it a bit too campy and is not aging well.

Return to Oz didn’t get the look half bad…

The “spirit” it captured was more like a “howling, wandering ghost,” but hey, ya takes what you can gets.

Lessie…

•Ditto on Starship Troopers. (Oddly enough, Starship Troopers 2 felt a bit closer—emphasis on “-er”—to the spirit of the original novel than any of the other films—like if Heinlein had written the sequel, but not the original.)

•Awhile back, I heard some buzz that Top Gun was being considered for a remake, with (negative) fan speculation that China was going to get plugged in for the nebulous “the enemy.” I opined that if you really wanted to make things interesting, you’d make it about Chinese fighter pilots, competing for the top slots in China’s stealth fighter/naval aviation program. Maybe have Maverick be the “bad guy” who’d shot down one of the Chinese fighter jock’s father in the 80s, or something.

I would watch that. :slight_smile:

A TV series is in the works.

I don’t really want a remake, but I’d like to digitize all the film recorded of Krull and re-edit it and redo all the VFX to match modern sensibilities.

Meanwhile I, personally, want to remake Condorman.

FUCK YOU!

That is movie magic defined, don’t you DARE change a singe frame!

I support remaking Oldboy, which Spike Lee is doing right now, though I doubt they can match the original.

Here is the trailer, if you are curious.

Robot Jox - if ever there were a movie screaming for modern special effects, this may possibly be one of them. Real Steel didn’t quite scratch that particular itch for me.

You realize that older movies continue to exist even if they’re remade, right? Remaking a movie does not consume it.