what is the most common topic on GQ?

Perhaps this could be in a different thread, but I expect it will have a factual answer.

I remember there are often questions about Ice cube stalagmites, or circular patterns caused by pivot irrigation; or maybe the nefarious -gry question.

Which specific topic seems to be asked the most on GQ?

General questions like something about computers wouldn’t count; but specific questions like “why have I lost color on my monitor?” would.

I know I’ve seen a surprising number of threads on tonsil stones. Before I came to the SDMB, I had never heard of tonsil stones.

I hesitate to specifically name the question I’m thinking of, lest it inspire the topic to arise again, but I suspect that the most-asked question is a particular query involving the sum of an infinite series, and a resulting degeneracy in representation in place-value systems of notation of real numbers.

Oh, yes, the old argument “Does 1.0000… = 1?” :wink:

We’re not going to get a definite answer. However it may be possible to suggest some of the commonest questions in particular fields.

In biology, the one about “Could chimpanzees and humans interbreed?” seems to come up very regularly.

Likewise, “Why does my cat do [some weird behavior]?”

I could swear I’ve seen what is the most common topic on GQ? at least once before.

“Is it legal for department store security to detain you / check your receipt?” and variants thereof should be a contender.

Definitely something pertaining to animals of the feline persuasion.

There are 40 GQ questions with the word ‘ants’ in the title.
‘Poop’ shows up in 41.
‘Stain*’ takes the cake with 68 title mentions.

I’m going with:

‘Why is the American flag backwards on uniforms and airplanes?’

I think questions related to language are the most popular.

What’s wrong with my compuuuuuuuuuterrrrrrrrrrrrr?!?!??!

God knows I’ve had my share of them.

Well. If this sticky in this forum is an indicator, it has to be:

Next up is “How do you say [word/phrase] in [non-English language]?

Threads along the lines of “aren’t identical twins just one person really?” (i.e. is it OK to marry them both, or if one has sex with the other, is it masturbation?) - seem fairly common.

One that seems to come up with regularity is “How do I know if others see colors the same way I do?” or some variation on that theme.

What is this thing I saw alongside the road?

Do Muslims/Masons/Koreans/Carnies/Cubs fans really do this?

What the heck is this in my garden, and why does it growl at my cat?

Can I use my house plumbing to distill whiskey/operate my garage door/defrost my driveway/roast a turkey?

Should this be in IMHO?

Is you is, or is you ain’t my baby?

If you took this thread, and you put it on a treadmill…

Looks like we got the Whole Nine Yards here…

Computer problems.

Canker sores.

Language questions- oldest, least words, most words, easiest, hardest, ect.

Why’s my car’s engine light on?
or,
What’s this noise my car’s making and how much will it cost to fix?