General Questions

Why do people post crap like this to General Questions:

1. I have a problem with my computer. How do I fix it? Is it because I overclocked my mouse? How do I turn this pic into my wallpaper? How do I get this program to work?

2. I have a health problem. Could I get some medical advice from a bunch of random people? I don’t actually want to see a doctor until someone on a message board tells me it’s serious.

3. I would like some free legal advice.

4. Help me with my homework.
    Yeah, I’m sure Cecil will get right on that. In fact, his next column will be all about that rash you have.

Simple answer - people post it because other people answer it.

Well I would say they’re General Question directed at the other posters to this message board and not to Cecil himself.

Do you think that all questions should be for Cecil ? If they were it would be a very slow message board .

yojimbo:

Yes. All questions posted in GQ should be posted with the intent of giving Cecil material for a column. That doesn’t mean other people can’t answer or discuss them.

Would it slow down the pace of the messages? Yes. So what? Have you forgotten the purpose of this message board?

Personal problems should be posted in MPSIMS where they belong. THIS IS NOT ASK ANN LANDERS. The Straight Dope is NOT an advice column. It answers questions that are generally interesting.

From the front page .

While I do agree with you that there are things posted in GQ that are MPSIMS material , your example of the wallpaper thread is flawed IMO . It is a valid question for GQ . Granted it may not be setting the world alight with originality or interest value but it does have it’s place in the forum .

Also should this thread be in MPSIMS ? It is a complaint is it not or do you look at your POV as mundane and pointless ?

I really should have put a :wink: after that last point as I don’t want it to seem like I’m being confrontational .

How’d you know I overclocked my mouse?
Damn.

Yup, I’m the one who posted this question.

Let’s see. Oh, yes, here it is - the definitions to the message board topics:

General Questions
Got a question for the Teeming Millions (and possibly Cecil) to consider? Post it here.

I had a question. I posted it in General Questions. Sounds logical to me.

It is not interesting and it’s not enlightening. It’s advice. It has no chance of becoming a column. It has no place in GQ.

Like I said before this is is not a board set up to give free advice. There’s plenty of other places for that.

I’m thinking of the target audience. Complaints against the administration go to the BBQ pit but this doesn’t really have anything to do with the mods.

sandyr: A blurb is not a definition.

Shouldn’t this be in the Pit?

Ohhhhhh, sorry. I suppose I should have said description instead. If you don’t like that word either, Konrad, please tell me, Konrad, what word I should use.

Are you insinuating that we should take this page with a grain of salt and post where we feel like posting? Who made you the SDMB guru? I’m sure that if Manhattan didn’t like my question he’s have moved my thread by now.

For all you know there are a dozen other newbies out there who couldn’t figure out how to take a little 2x3 picture of something they liked and turn it into wall paper, and my question - and the extraordinarily helpful responses (thanks again, sailor!) I received - enlightened them.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. If I wasn’t afraid of the Pit I’d take this one there.

That’s why, Cnote :smiley:

If you say that some threads have no place in GQ and they are not moved by the mods. then you are saying something about the mods.(manhattan in this case) whether you meant it or not .

sandyr sez:

Like I already told ya, it’s a blurb. It’s a short description that you are expected to be smart enough to take within the right context.

You’re just pissed off that I specifically picked out your question. If you want to take it to the pit then come and get it, you panty-waist. I’ll be glad to put you in your place.

Actually, requests for advice used to get moved to MPSIMS very quickly. In case you haven’t noticed, the SDMB is a lot busier than it used to be. Maybe the mods actually do exist in an corporeal state which would prohibit them from devoting all their time to this board.

This thread is to pathetic even for MPSIMS, Konrad. What the hell is your problem?

Konrad’s problem is that he deludedly believes himself to be a moderator. Perhaps no one else remembers, but Konrad periodically starts a thread or two where he begins to hamfistedly dictate how everyone else will post.

It’s really very pathetic, but reliable. I was wondering what had become of him, when this showed up.

–John

Hmmmmm. I can’t tell if this is a bitch (Pit), a minor debate (IMHO), a real query (GQ), or a plea for attention (MPSIMS). I do know it’s annoying.

Konrad, you need to keep in mind, the name of the forum is General Questions, not Cosmic Questions, which would be more Cecil’s domain. The specific topics you reference are just that, general questions. I don’t see what the problem is.

Oh… meglomania? :smiley:

Get a life, Konrad. This issue just isn’t worth getting your knickers in a twist.

Besides, if you are so certain that SDMB’s standards are not to your liking anymore, go join a board that’s up to your level of expectation.