They will bury my cousin today

It’s a sad day.

My cousin ,Sherianne, will be buried today. She was a beautiful woman, the age of my younger sisters, wife and mother of two.

She was killed in when her SUV was struck broadside by a dump truck that ran a traffic signal. Her car was dragged across the highway and pushed into a ditch. She died of massive internal injuries after being sent by life-flight to Nashville’s Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

Her mother, my aunt, in the passenger seat survived with massive bruising and cracked ribs. It’s a small blessing that my cousin’s two young children were not in the vehicle that day.

Sherianne’s two children, both under 10, are now motherless. Her husband is without his wife. They recently bought a fixer-upper house and her husband took a new job that requires significant travel.

Her children don’t know how to deal with their mother’s death, of course. In the way of children, they are inadvertently causing more pain to their father. The five-year old told his father he’d have to find them a new mommy because they needed to have one.

Sherianne’s brother is mentally retarded. In his mid-thirties, he has the mind of a child. He went to the closet where the old keepsakes are kept and found his favorite childhood stuffed toy. That toy now sleeps with him in his bed at night.

He lives now with his mother and father and Sherianne was always going to be the one that provided his care when his mother and father became too old. The family cannot deal with that issue yet but the future of her brother will probably be one involving hired caretakers instead of his family.

Friends of this locally well-know and well-liked family are providing information that suggest at least four fatalities have occurred due to this trucking company.

The driver claims he was unable to stop but the lack of skid marks before the impact point and their presence after suggest the brakes on the truck were fine. The sight-line to that intersection is over 500 yards, it was a clear day and dry pavement. All indications are that the driver simply didn’t want to stop for the signal. He left his lane with the intention of driving through the intersection in the turn lane.

One life gone from this planet. It warrants a single article in the local paper, an obituary, and a picture. Two families lives will be changed forever because of one impatient truck driver.

If you’re a believer, I ask that you pray for this family today.

It’s odd that as I’ve typed this, I’ve had to keep going back and correcting the verbs to the past-tense.

You and all of her family are very much in my thoughts and prayers. I’m so terribly sorry for your loss.

I’m so sorry for your loss. In the next few weeks, I suggest your cousin’s husband look into suing the driver/truck company. From what you said about the police report the driver was certainly at fault, and although it will never replace Sherianne, the money may make it easier to raise the kids.

I am sorry for your family’s loss.
As someone who lost a parent at the age of nine, I wish my family did counseling of some sort. My entire life would probably be a whole lot different than it is now had someone dragged me to counselling instead of church.

Urge, nudge, shove, kidnap your cousin’s husband to go not only for himself, but take the kids as well. Their entire foundation of life has been ripped out from underneath them.

Surf the web and bookstores for books on grieving.

From my own personal collection:

The Next Place
Ten good things about Barney It is about the loss of a pet, but it still holds water.

Mountains of Tibet My personal favorite, my review is the first you see. :slight_smile:
Amazon usually has really good Book Recommendations that are work a look at.

Helping a child cope with the loss of a loved one I don’t have it, but it looks interesting.

Cousin Bob works for a big legal firm in another state. I can’t say which but suffice it to say at least one case they worked on was made into a film. He’s offered to help out, I’m sure, limited by his ability to practice in another state. Nothing happening on this front yet, of course.

Yes, the expenses for this extended family have just jumped significantly.

I second this. The kids are old enough to know what is happening, but young enough to be very confused about it.

I’m very sorry for your family’s loss, Belrix.

What a sad story. I’m very sorry for your loss.

I’m so sorry for your loss, I hope you and your family get the help you need.

I’m so sorry for your loss. What a tragedy.

I’m so sorry. Your family is in my prayers.

I’m very sorry for your loss. We buried my grandfather yesterday, and I can’t imagine what you and your family are going through to lose someone so young.

How awful. I am so very sorry.

I’m so sorry for your loss, Belrix. Prayers and good thoughts headed out for your whole family.

GT

may her memory be eternal.