Movies with similar names that should never, ever be confused.

Ever made a mistake in your Netflix queue and end up with something you weren’t expecting?

Let’s say you wanted a nice gentle foreign film like Babette’s Feast

and you ended up with plain old Feast

What other possibilities can you dream up?

After hearing how wonderful the film The Color Purple was, my mother and a friend decided they should go see it. Then they couldn’t remember the title of the film.

They remembered “purple” was in the title and figured “Hey, how many movies could be in theaters right now that have the word purple in the title?” They decided there couldn’t possibly be more than one movie with the word purple in the title playing in theaters at any given time.

They went to a movie theater and bought tickets for Purple Rain.

They couldn’t understand why so many of their friends had recommended it.

The very excellent THE SEVENTH SEAL
and the not-as-much THE SEVENTH SIGN.

Well, they’re not really super similar sounding, but it’d still be pretty bad to confuse Koyaanisqatsi with Urotsukidoji.

28 Days and 28 Days Later.

I was stuck watching several children for an afternoon and couldn’t remember the difference between Monsters Inc. and Monster’s Ball. Why no, I don’t get asked to babysit very often. Why do you ask?

SSG Schwartz

Midnight Run and Midnight Express.
I told someone how much I love Midnight Run, and can watch it over and over, and got a very dubious look back when it transpired they were thinking I enjoyed watching the brutal life in a turkish prison…

PoTC and PoTC - that is Pirates of The Caribbean and Passion of The Christ. I think I heard of some people who experienced some kind of text-message mixup when getting friends to party book one or the other of these.

A lot of folks might put Mr. and Mrs. Smith expecting a hijinks assassin comedy flick. Imagine the surprise when the hijinks, but sadly assassinless, comedy flick Mr. and Mrs. Smith turns up.

Aristocats and The Aristocrats.

Aristocats is a Disney animated feature about cats.

The Aristocrats is a history of a really super raunchy warm up joke comedians use to get ready before they put on a show.

Confusing the two would be traumatic.

E. F. Benson fans might be confused and disappointed if they aimed for Mapp and Lucia and got Sex and Lucia instead.

"The devil and Miss Jones: and “The devil in Miss Jones.”

There’s Crash, the 2004 Oscar-winning film about racism and the intersection of various people’s lives in LA.

Then there’s Crash, the 1996 film written by David Cronenberg, about people who are sexually excited by car crashes, especially being in them.

(According to my friend, this happened to his wife and her coworkers, who went to an outside-of-work get-together and someone apparently had the first film in mind when they told the person who arranged the movie. Of course, it was the second which was shown to a bewildered and disgusted audience.)

Yes, this is confusing. My wife was saying that she had been told that Crash was worth seeing - I was :dubious:

She was talking about the 2004 film, I knew about the 1996 one :smack:

She got the new one - I haven’t watched it yet - it doesn’t contain car crashes and sex :frowning:

Si

The Stella Tillyard novel The Aristocrats, an historical novel, was adapted as a TV miniseries and is available on DVD. By that title.

If you wanted the animated Disney flick where one of the Gabors plays a spoiled kitty and there’s a streetwise alley cat named O’Malley, that would instead be the Aristocats.

But as I’m sure y’all are well aware, confusing those with each other is the least of your confusion-worries.

Hey! Aww dammit… fooey…

well, you didn’t mention the Stella Tillyard Aristocrats :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually it does contain car crashes and sex. Just not at the same time. Plus, the new one sucks. See the Cronenburg.

Broken Arrow

If you’re looking for the John Woo/John Travolta action picture, this is the one you want.

If you’re not specific, you’ll wind up with this Jimmy Stewart vehicle.

K-9 and K-19.

Cabin Fever and Cabin Boy.

Not very similar at all.

Aliens III with any of the other installments in the same series.