Ask the (wedding) photographer

Ok. What the hell. I’ve never tried one of these before.

As some here may know, I’m a photographer. I started in college working for the school paper, working on to freelancing for AFP (Agence France-Press, a wire agency a la AP and Reuters), worked as a staff photog at a business paper in Budapest for a couple years, freelanced from there for three years or so for people like Business Week and Car and Driver, and now have settled down over the last few years into the business of wedding photojournalism.

I’m here to answer any questions related to photography, photojournalism, or the specific speciality of wedding photography/photojournalism. Anything from opinions on digital cameras, to technique, to the art of photography to selecting a wedding photographer, what to look for, etc.

So have at it. I’m working tomorrow and Sunday, so if I’m a little slow on Saturday and Sunday responses, that would be why.

Did you ever tell the bride to make sure she wore make-up on the wedding day??? :confused: Ours Did, and my now wife almost ripped his head off.
Not a good way to start with a new photographer.

Do you like to be a little artistic or do you do run of the mill whatever they want stuff mainly?

Ever had a mishap? Please explain:

How much do you make (can give a %%) on reprints?

My folks just ordered some reprints for my brother’s wedding and they were HELLA expensive. Maybe they’re matted with a silver wash or something, but for the prices this guy charges it’s like he has to build a time machine to go capture the moment again or something. I should call him and tell him Walgreens will do what he’s doing for 7 cents a print :slight_smile:

Sorry, ranting.

1. I never request makeup to be worn. That’s the brides choice. I come from a journalism background, so I really don’t care about that kind of stuff. I want to make people look as good as they do, no matter the circumstance. Some brides are makeup heavy, some aren’t. I’m very much into more natural looks myself, but a little bit of foundation goes a long way with portraits.

2. I try to keep artistic. You can see my website at http://www.peterpawinski.com. Here’s a picture from a couple months ago that to me sort of defines what I really want to capture in the context of wedding photojournalism. Obviously, you have to take good portraits and that sort of thing. I love taking portraits now, although when I started it was a little different experience for me, given my background. But it’s the unexpected moments I live for.

3. No mishaps that I could think of. I once had a minister not show up for a wedding in Jersey, just across from Philly. The bride kept her composure. She was obviously a little distressed, but she didn’t go crazy. Her dad happened to know a judge in town. He gave him a call, he was on his way to dinner, stopped at the country club, gave one of the funniest, most lively ceremonies I’ve ever seen, and quickly went back to dinner after the saving the day. He’s my (and the couple’s) hero. All in all, the ceremony was only taken 45 minutes off track by the minister’s absence.

I don’t structure my business on reprints. Since I come from a journalism background, I’m used to charging for my time. I’m not in the business for product sales, except for albums. This may not be the wisest business decision, but I’m happy with the money I make, and my clients are happy with me. I charge $16 for an 8x10, which is pretty low. From that $16, I make maybe $5-$6 profit after the company that sells my prints takes their take.

My base price includes a full-resolution DVD, from which you are allowed to make any prints you want. Now, it does concern me, as QC is variable among printers. I always encourage couples to make large prints through me, since I can clean up the photo a little bit more and I have the final say when it comes to quality. However, I give the couple the option. Some photos offer the DVD of full res images for something like $500 or $1000. Some give it away for free after a 6-month or 1-year embargo. I don’t care about that right now. Maybe if I had kids and a big mortgage, I’d change my business plan, but it works for me now. The average photographer, according to the folks (Pictage) that do my print sales, make about $400 in print sales for each wedding. I make nothing near that. Perhaps $100. But that’s because I include full-resolution DVDs in my package.

Is it true that single women at weddings are looking to hook up?

I think single women would better be able to answer that question, but I do get the sense that that is the case for many weddings, but the type of weddings and the guests have a lot to do with the hook-up-ness of the event.

Remember, questions need not be specifically related to wedding photography. Any general photography or photojournalism questions are welcome. The wedding stuff is only very recent in my career.

Dude, your photos are amazing.

As a relatively serious amateur photographer (who occasionally sells prints), do you have any advice for making additional cash on the side with my skills? I’ve done two paid shoots this year…both small, and have sold some of my travel and art photography as prints, but certainly nothing to really supplement my income. I don’t really have the desire to go full blown pro…but if I could pull down a hundred or two extra a month with photography it would be great!

I’ll be completely redoing my website (which is in my profile) to be more aesthetically pleasing, easier to search, and with a direct purchase shopping cart, but I’m not sure if anyone will even want to buy prints. Suggestions?

Thanks.

No questions (sorry) but thanks for starting this thread.

I have reluctantly agreed to photograph 6 or 7 weddings. I appreciate that my friends think I’m a “good” photographer, but it’s not something that I enjoy. I’ve had a few notable disasters: one time the photofinisher screwed up the prints (but not the negs), and another time my camera broke–but at the end of the reception (thank Og). You’re a braver man than I.

BTW, I got drafted for another wedding next week. I’ve known the groom for more than 40 years…he’s my brother.

Thanks! I try my best. :slight_smile:

What equipment do you use? Do you use natural light? How does it differ from your days in photojournalism?

One. You need a good website with good examples of your work. That should be obvious, but it’s really surprising how many photographers just have crap websites.

Second, for an extra hundred bucks or two. That’s easy. Depending on where you live, actually Craigslist is not a bad source for some quick and easy work. I’ve been looking to broaden my horizons a little but, so I put up an ad to do some photography for dating websites, that sort of thing, and have gotten some responses. It’s really just a practice exercise for me, but, since I don’t want to do it for free, I just charge $50 a pop, and people go for it. Surprisingly, craigslist folks will actually go for more expensive things, too. I don’t do any paid advertising. All my work comes from the WPJA (Wedding Photojournalism Association), referrals, and the occasional ad on craigslist. When you see photographers selling themselves for $1000 for a wedding, I didn’t think anybody would go for somebody who starts at $2K+ (no prints or albums included), but I’ve gotten at least $10K worth of business over the last two years from that site. As long as you sound professional, have good samples and can do it up a little bit, you should get some bites.

Local newspapers are also good, but you need a photojournalism portfolio and you really do need some experience. I don’t do any freelance work because the pay is pretty low (to me). A Chicago Tribune assignment, for instance, pays $100. I’d rather branch out and try some new stuff, and then get people to pay me $250 or so for a portrait rather than do that.

Just be creative. Try to find a niche market and find a way to target the market. But, most of all, you need the work to show to back up your skills. Look professional and people will treat you like a professional.

I would never ever shoot a wedding without a backup camera. I have three cameras with me at all times–two I keep on myself, and a third I use in case something goes wrong. Part of what you pay for in a wedding photographer (or any wedding professional) is that sort of redundancy.

I’ve been a Nikon shooter most of my professional career, but I’ve been veering slowly towards Canon. I’m in a bit of a conundrum now, because Nikon introduced the D3 right when I’ve began deciding to switch completely to Canon.

I have the following that I use for weddings:

2 Nikon D200s
1 Canon 5D (my favorite digital camera so far)

Nikon 80-200 f/2.8
Nikon 60mm macro f/2.8
Nikon 85 mm f/1.4 (superb lens)
Nikon 12-24 f/4 DX
Canon 85 mm f/1.8
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
Canon 20mm f/2.8
2 Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
1 Nikon SB-28 Speedlight
1 Canon 580EXII
4 Pocket Wizards Plus II
2 10" high lighting stands
2 umbrellas (I don’t recall the size)
Red Wing soft box (don’t recall the size–just big enough for headshots)
Magic Arm

Also, I have:
Nikon FM2
Nikon N90
Nikon F5
Holga
Lomo
Nikon 85mm f/1.8
Nikon 24mm f/2.8
Nikon 20-35mm f/.28
Nikon D1

I might be forgetting something, but that’s what I use. About 85% of my wedding shots these days are taken with the Canon 5D and 24-70mm f/2.8L and 580EXII. It’s simply the perfect combo for most shots. My favorite lens, though, is that Nikon 85 f/1.4. I’ve shot with the Canon 85mm f/1.2 as well, and it’s simply awesome.

Oh sorry, missed the last two questions.

I use natural light when it looks good. When it doesn’t, I supplement with flash. Off-camera flash as much as possible, but bouncing it either straight up, off the walls, or using flash diffusers such as Gary Fong’s Lightsphere or even a simple bounce card works well. Don’t be afraid of using flash. Flash is a wonderful tool if you know how to use it well. When I see photographers advertise the fact that they only shoot natural light, it often means to me that they’re afraid of or don’t know how to use flash well. It’s not always the case, but quite often that’s what it means. Flash can kill the mood or ambiance of a room, but the key to good flash is to make it look like you’re not using flash at all.

As for part two, it’s quite often not much that different than my days in photojournalism. I try to remain true to the day, but with weddings, almost all clients want good portraits of themselves, which means you do have to step in and direct these portraits. At an average wedding shoot, for me, about 85% of the time it is completely unscripted. I don’t want to mess with the flow of the day. It’s a wedding, not a photo shoot. But during the “formals” (which I try to keep as natural and relaxed looking as possible), you do have to step in. When I first started wedding photography, this was quite a new skill for me to learn. Now, I love it. It’s the only part of the day that’s completely under your control, and if you nail the portraits, the client will love you forever.

The other thing that’s different about strict photojournalism is that you’re allowed to move things around a little bit to make a better picture, if need be. If the cake is in the wrong place, you can ask for it to be moved, or if you see a good photo and somebody moves away from the light, you can ask them to go back into the light. This is stuff I would never dream of doing in a strict PJ assignment.

Mostly just chiming in to express camera/lens envy.

Do you still enjoy photography to the point of having it be a hobby as well? (I see on the webpage that you have non-wedding pics.) Do you belong to a camera / photography club?

How sick are you of Pachelbel’s Canon and Louis Armstrong’s What A Wonderful World?

'Cause I’ll tell you, I got bloody sick of both of them.

I’ll have 5 Nikons (2 digital /3 35mm) next week. I’ve learned my lesson!