Since when is pet ownership so emotionally tiring? (long, likely boring)

I have a cat named Rachel (cite) who is going on 15 years old.

Originally, Rachel belonged to an ex-roommate of mine. They moved in with me in May 2002 and we all lived together until August of this year. Rachel liked me so much that it was decided that I would take her and my roommate would just get another cat at her new apartment. I don’t regret that decision for a second. But goddamn has this year been hard for both of us.

For about fourteen months, we have known that Rachel is a hyperthyroid cat and have done our best to treat that. We’ve tried several medications in several doses and I think we’ve found the right one (a topical lotion version of methamizole that is rubbed in her ear). Unfortunately, that medication has also worked against her and caused renal failure, which I treat with enalapril. Additionally, if she eats food that isn’t “special diet” (i.e. helps maintain urinary ph levels), she gets urinary tract infections. One she got in October caused her walk around crying and pee blood.

After several vet visits this fall, I thought I was finally in the clear. I’d been able to get rid of the UTI, her thyroid levels were balanced, and her renal failure was treated. All was good. Was.

In November, I was holding her when I felt something that didn’t feel right. A couple of tests later, it was confirmed: soft tissue sarcoma - cancerous. I had a surgical consult at an Animal Hospital in December to find out that removing it would require an invasive removal surgery, reconstructive surgery, and four weeks of four-day-a-week radiation therapy equaling $8,000. For many reasons, that’s just not feasable. There is the possibility of a treatment that can be used to slow the growth of the tumor, but the truth of the matter is that this tumor will kill her. I accept this.

My family is all over the place and the Christmas season is very busy for us, so I unfortunately have had to spend the last 10 days traveling. Rather than having to rely on a friend, I decided that the best choice was to put Rachel in a PetsHotel (a chain that is owned by PetSmart). I took her there on December 20th, handed over the medications, gave instructions, all that. The woman I spoke with was very friendly and understood all of my instructions. While I was worried about Rachel, I knew that this was the best choice I could make for her.

I picked her up today to find that some employees at the PetsHotel can’t fucking read. The same woman I spoke with on the 20th came out with Rachel to talk to me. Every day, you rub 0.1 ml of the topical lotion twice in Rachel’s ear. Not too hard. But some idiots didn’t read the damn thing right and rubbed 1.0 ml of the lotion in her ear twice a day - 10x the dose. The woman told me that she was furious when she found out, but apparently she found out very late as an entire month’s worth of medicine was used over a period of a couple of days. Fucking great. Thankfully, the PetsHotel admitted its mistake, was very apologetic, and refunded me completely for the entire stay.

I’ve spoken to the vet and was told what I should watch out for as far as the effects of being so overmedicated. So far, so good. No ill effects.

Seriously, though, what else can go wrong? I’m doing everything I can to take care of her. I’ve taken her to see doctors something like 10 times since October and have paid nearly $2,000 for all of the tests and treatments. I’ve loved her and held her and petted her as much as I can.

If she dies, that’s okay. I’m ready for it. I’m also ready to put her to sleep if her quality of life seems to be bad - at this point, it isn’t an issue. When her issues are treated, they’re not a problem. The tumor is getting bigger, but she can’t seem to feel it or at least doesn’t show that she can. Still, I’m trying to watch closely to make sure that she is happy.

All of this is taking its toll on me. I can’t count the tears I’ve cried for her. I feel stupid investing so much in a pet, but I can’t help it. Has anyone else had to go through all of this?

Yes, and it breaks my heart to read your story. That picture of you both is just lovely. You were both lucky to have come into each other’s life.

I spent thousands of dollars on Minette who lived to the age of 21. She died in her sleep, at home, as I was petting her.

Until you have pets, you don’t realize that they’re FAMILY, and you find a way, spend money, time, care, in order to make things right.

I know you’re sad now, but your decision to let Rachel live the rest of her life in peace is a good and wise one. <hugs to you both>

I’m sorry to hear about Rachel.

Three weeks ago we had to say our final goodbyes to Tamara, our 14-year-old All American Mutt. I have no advice beyond saying that no matter how prepared you are for it, it still feels like your heart is being torn apart. That’s why we spend so much time and money and emotional work on pets; they’re loved.

I’ll keep you and Rachel in my thoughts and hope she stays comfortable for as long as possible. Please feel free to give her some cuddles from me.

Thanks, guys.

This was the first time I’ve ever taken Rachel out of her home for a long period of time and I think the reintegration into the home is a little rough right now. She’s happy sleeping around the apartment, happy to eat, happy to drink, happy to get attention. However, she’s still just randomly walking around and crying. She doesn’t seem to be in any physical pain so I assume (and hope) that she will stop doing that in time. If she doesn’t, it’s going to be a long night tonight.

Also, I know what you mean about not ever being fully prepared to lose a pet. Just offhand I can think of eight separate cats that I’ve lost since I was a child (my family was big on cat ownership, obviously!). I think the loss of Rachel will be the worst, though, as this is the first one that has been my cat. All the other ones were my family’s. There is no doubt and no question, she is mine.

She’s a real doll.

Yes, I’ve been through that too. It’s hard but in my opinion it’s so worth it in the long run.

My guy was a gray and black tabby (named dwyr). I had him for around 16 years. He developed sarcoma too and I went the surgery route. I’m still not sure about that.

Whatever happens, she’ll always be yours.

Losing Trouble at 15 ripped out a chunk of my heart. And, as he was long-term ill before he died, I also felt the emotional exhaustion. You have my sympathies.

I’ve been through it (almost the same exact path with my Bo) and know how badly it sucks. You are doing all you can for her. Don’t ever feel bad about caring; it shows you are a person with a large heart.

I went through it this year with two cats. The first one went into renal failure, and never pulled out; he just gave up so I let him go. With the second one, it was also renal failure, but she was doing well enough that the vet let me take her home and continue her on fluid therapy at home. But the fluid therapy induced heart failure, and it was just too much for her. So, almost eight months to the day since my first cat was put to sleep, she went, as well. They had been with me through college and law school, a number of moves around the country and around town, and now they’re just not here anymore.

Yesterday I found out that on the day I let my family know I’d put the cat to sleep, my BIL tried to get me another cat. Fortunately, his mother stopped him. Be aware that there may be well-wishers out there who will do that for you when you finally have to let Rachel go. Don’t let them push you into anything you don’t want. And hang in there; you’re doing the right thing.

My sister’s got a beautiful Boxer, called “Luneta”. She’s 14 years old (the dog, not my sister). And I don’t think she’s going to outlive 2008.

Yesterday she had a seizure (she’s had one or two per year) but this time she simply was unable to walk. And she’s extremely well house-trained, so, a couple of hours after that stroke, I had to assist her to get outside the house (she insisted) so she could relieve herself. Man… it’s extremely difficult to watch the poor dog doing something because she wants to do it but is physically unable to do so by herself. And yet, I’m often unable to understand her… and misunderstand her… and react the wrong way…when all I want to do is help.

Right now she’s well again (amazing how she recovers… at her age!) But I know that her loving eyes won’t last for long…
I feel for you… I really do.

you have company here. my nod the naughty at 14.5 years old has been diagnosed with cancer. she is doing her usual things right now. i do hope she will pass on like winken the wonderful did, but noddy is her own little feisty girl and i can see she will not go gently.

like barbaro’s owner said last year: “grief is the price you pay for love.” how very, very, true.

I lost my beautiful, wonderful black lab who lived to be 16. He went to Greener Doggie Pastures in September and I miss him every day.

I have an old cat now who is dying of throid disease; we use the ear medicine as well, but she’s really kind of past it doing much. Poor baby.