So, on a Mac, PI + PI = 6 ?

I’m terribly sorry if this fits within the bounds of help-me-fix-my-computer threads but I need to make sure I am not crazy.

On Mac OS 10.4, Intel, whipping up the calculator app, jumping into scientific mode and entering PI + PI = returns 6. Yes, just 6. On the other hand, PI * 1 + PI = gives 6.28318530718.

My question is thus: am I insane or are Apple developers using Bible-based code?

Apple does everything so neatly.

Are you sure there isn’t some integer math thing switched on somewhere in your calculator app?

I guess it defaults to rounding to zero decimal places, in which case pi + pi does equal 6. Or the Apple developers are big Bob Shaw fans [/obscure sci-fi reference].

I thought this was the OP being insane, but I tried it on mine, and woah, same thing. But PI*2 gives the correct result, or if I do PI+PI and then go to the “notepad” function (don’t know what it is in the English version, the French version calls it a “paper band”) and tell it to recalculate totals, PI+PI gives the correct answer… How odd…

Any time you run into a situation like that it’s because Steve knows better than you. :slight_smile:

Decimals are like sharp corners. We rounded them off because it looked nicer.

I think you found a genuine bug. I get the same result on a PowerPC system.

pi + pi = 6
3.14159 + 3.14159 = 6.28318
pi - 3 = 0
pi * 2 = 6.28318530718
pi / 2 = 1.570796326795

I normally use an HP-48GX emulator on my Mac, so I’ve never bothered using Apple’s calculator app.

Application-specific bug.

Sounds like the sort of thing Apple would be quite keen to patch - how does one go about submitting bug reports?

I’m submitting a bug report to Apple.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html/

Cool.

Wow. That’s pretty shocking. Although Calc isn’t so important an app as Excel, it wouldn’t surprise me to see some harsh public criticism in the blogosphere over this.

No bug in 10.5.

I was about to type a “Works for me” post but after trying it a few times saw the issue. Playing around, I figured out how to get an answer of “6” and how to get an answer of “6.28…”.

If I do a different floating point operation, such as Pi * Pi, and then do Pi + Pi right after that without hitting the C button, you’ll get the correct answer 6.28…

But, if I hit the C button first, then Pi + Pi will show 6.

I don’t often use the C button which explains why I didn’t see the issue at first.

I’m on OSX 10.4.11, PowerPC.

The Bible says Pi = 3?

Not really, no. Bible literalists would have you believe otherwise, based on a reading of First Kings, 7:23-26:

However, if you apply a little logic, you actually arrive at a fairly good approximation of pi.

Isn’t it actually the case that it’s not the bible literalists, but their critics/mockers who started that PI=3 thing? - and like the ‘Jesus Horses’ thing, it later got attributed to the fundies?

Apple pi bugs? Why those are as American as Mom and… something.

My calculator app doesn’t even have pi.