Holy Crap, I'm In Manhattan!

happydance

Yeah, yeah, I know, emotes unbecoming of a dignified Doper. :wink: Seriously, though, I am ridiculously excited. I had a small adventure getting from Islip to here, but it was a good adventure. I’ve only nearly gotten run over once, and that was by a bus running a red light making a left turn. I flipped him off; it seemed the thing to do. (Not particularly because I’m in NY, but more because I have a habit of flipping off drivers who nearly run me over when I’m not doing anything stupid.)

Thanks to good Doper advice, I have successfully navigated both a local restaurant and the subway system with extremely minimal hassle. Tomorrow will be a day full of wandering around, probably buying yarn, and eating exotic food that my dear spouse wouldn’t touch while he works. I am totally excited about getting lost and tired and having to drag my ass back to the hotel at midnight and passing out, only to get up the next morning and do it again.

So, if there’s anything that I Must Not Miss ™, tell me! I am still riding the high of being a small town girl not getting killed or feeling stupid in the big city.

Do you happen to have a link to a SD thread where you procured this advice? Thanks.

Flipping off bus drivers, good, good. Extra points if you were jaywalking. What? Not jaywalking? Sigh. Never not jaywalk in NYC. Now ya got tourist cooties. Hmmm, how to fix… Well, at your next flipping off occasion, add a crotch grab (either hand is okay).

Try the Cooper-Hewitt Museum. It’s pretty cool, and just the right size. Consider also walking across the Brooklyn Bridge’s pedestrian footpath. It’s a little long, but nice in this weather. On the Brookly side, go to Grimaldi’s Pizza, it’s supposedly one of the best in NYC, and probably the best in Brooklyn.

Females do this too?!* Wow. Rough place. :stuck_out_tongue:
*OP is female

Enjoy the warm weather we’re having.
It should be a great day for exploring.

Just stay out of my way…damn tourists always clogging up the sidewalks. Why can’t they just send us checks and stay home!

The crotch grab is more in the light of a philosophical statement made by the grabber in reference to some asshole’s character, antecedents and probable personal hygiene and habits. It is therefore gender-free. Think “giving someone the finger” only with a whole lot more emphasis.

I will admit that I, personally, don’t indulge - mostly because my work coat (which I’m wearing when I’m actually in the City) is an ankle-length trench. Awkward.

Drastic_quench, that thread can be found here.

So, today’s notes are: walk around a lot, and be happy that I can in January. Grab crotch often while staying off the sidewalk, preferably while jaywalking. Somehow I have the feeling that today is going to be interrupted by a thread titled “ER Care in NY - is it normal for them to cuff you to the bed? Need help fast!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys - now I’m off to see if it’s possible that you guys have a Starbucks somewhere in this city. :smiley:

Edited to add: Aangelica, the idea of crotch grab as philosophical statement has just cracked me right the hell up. Good explanation!

Ooh, you should go see the Cloisters! Then you get to see Ft Tryon Park (where the museum is located) along with some really incredible medieval art. If you decide to go check out the Cloisters and you want some company PM me…I live in the neighborhood and I am always looking for reasons to go to museums!

If you want a bigger adventure, try to find and explore areas of Manhattan where there is not a Starbucks within 3 blocks. :cool:

If you want to buy yarn, go to Knitty City on 79th Street and Amsterdam Avenue. My wife is a yarn addict and truly gifted knitter, and this is her drug den of choice.

Waitaminnit. Isn’t the flip off in the UK like two fingers or something? Did you show just the middle finger? You gotta show just the middle finger. If you didn’t, you wished him peace.

Oh, and when you grab your crotch, say “Here’s your _____, right here, buddy.” Insert whatever you like pertaining to the incident in the blank. So, for your bus incident, you would say, perhaps, “Here’s your left turn on red, right here, buddy.”

I see from the other thread that you are at the Waldorf. Now, unlike the other posters asking for PMs to go and do things and visit places, I’m going to reiterate - stay out of my f’n way! :cool:

I’m just across the street, and whenever I venture out, I’m usually already 10 minutes late and in a rush. And because I know where I’m going, I move quickly, avoiding the mobile obstacles keeping me from getting from A to B quickly. But other than that, have a good time in NYC, completely blow your budget, then get out and next time, just send cash! :smiley:

It’s peace if the palm was facing out - it’s FU if the palm faces the flipper.

If you’d share your adventure coming in from Islip airport I’d be most intrigued. I have lots of out of town non-city slicker types coming for my wedding through Islip and I’d love to know what parts you found confusing/difficult.

Welcome to the Big Apple!

If I were to name one must-do, it would be stopping by Veneiro’s Bakery (11th Street betw 1st & 2nd Ave, but just off 1st). Its a very old Italian bakery – the quality is at least as good, if not better, than signature bakeries in Little Italy, for 1/2 the price they charge. Get the vanilla cannoli with the shell dipped in dark chocolate!

You can sit down in the cafe and get table service if you want (its a bit more expensive) or just grab and go at the take out counter. From there its a moderate walk to Katz’s Deli, location of the famous “fake orgasm scene” in When Harry Met Sally.

I love Veneiro’s, I love dark chocolate, and I love love love cannoli.

That said, keep your dark chocolate, or any chocolate, away from my cannoli shell. If there must absolutely be chocolate, then some semi-sweet chips in the filling (not too many) is acceptable.

I’ve not been to New York City yet, so if you would be so kind as to go to the public library where great literature was and is both read and created, that would be great. Please pet the lions.

Is it like being in a movie? I mean, I’ve ‘seen’ New York in books and films all my life, and I am sure that when I finally get the chance to go there, I’ll feel like I’m in a dizzying kaleidescope of all the myriad impressions that have saturated my imagination over the years. And I’ll be the geek looking up and gawking at the skyscrapers.

Oh, I envy you tonight.

I want to go to New York.

We just got back from Spamalot, which was pretty good. It was a little weird - going to an “official Broadway” show was really not that different from a lot of other theater I’ve seen. Yes, it was well-produced, and there was a lot of technical accuracy and energy that is missing from smaller or slightly shoddy theaters, but it was not a different experience, if that makes sense. Still well worth the money, though, and I’m looking forward to Ave Q on Saturday afternoon. (I have all of tomorrow open, and am going to find a couple of smaller things to go see, which will be awesome.)

Re: the trip from Islip in - it was stupidly easy. I mean, ridiculously so. Machines that gave me clear directions on ticket purchase, good signage, and a very peaceful train ride into the city. Getting from Penn to Grand Central was a little harder, but only because I hadn’t prepared to have to switch lines. Once I’d ridden a train or two and made subway transfers once, it was totally easy. To put that in perspective, I have ridden buses twice, and that’s the full sum of my mass transit experience. I shied away from Atlanta subways because they are so poorly labelled and confusing, and NYC’s have been quite easy all the way around.
On that score, two things of note: have $5 handy for the shuttle from Islip to Ronkonkoma. They show up every hour, and are clearly labelled. Two: have a clear plan for navigating the subway system when you get into Penn. It’s not terribly hard, but knowing in advance which line you’re getting on makes it much easier. Hello Again, if you’d like the longer version, let me know - it’s pretty damned mundane and pointless, even for here. :slight_smile:

Weirdly enough, the city feels a lot like every other big city I’ve seen in America… just… well, bigger! Heh. Everything is taller, and brighter - but it’s not nearly as busy as I expected, and it’s much easier to get around than I thought it would be. I haven’t ventured far from my base of operations much yet - that will be tomorrow and Saturday during the day - but what I have seen has been both impressive and not really surprising.

The weirdest thing is riding in a subway car by myself and thinking “this is when the music comes on in the horror movie and the people in the audience start screaming for me to turn around or something.” If that’s the scariest it gets, I could stroll around here for weeks without being fazed. :slight_smile:

D_Odds - you haven’t run me down in the street yet, so I assume that I haven’t gotten sufficiently in your way yet. I’ll keep an eye out for a guy with his head down, looking late for something and annoyed… I may run out of fingers to count on before I get to the end of the block, though, so you’re probably okay. :wink: (Contrarily, if you see a chubby girl in a purple suede jacket gawping at things and laughing a lot, that’s probably me. Feel free to body check me on the way by - it’ll be a Real NY Experience ™!) I have taken a fair amount of care to stay well to the right on sidewalks and escalators, which has been pretty effective - and forcibly hauling my beloved husband out of the path of traffic when he stops to stare at something.

“You see those people? Those are the people we fuckin’ hated in Nashville - dumb, in the way, need to get hit by a truck. Don’t be those people!”

I am having fun. I cannot wait to come back, and I haven’t even left yet!

I’ve seen shows on Broadway and on tour, and one advantage of Broadway is that the sets were designed for the theater, not for traveling. There is also a special thrill of seeing a show with the original cast, but those are much harder to get tickets for.

As for cars that impede you, I was a classicist. I would pretend to pound on the hood and say “I’m walkin’ here” like Dustin Hoffman in Midnight Cowboy.

I’m sure you’ve noticed how packs of New Yorkers intimidate cars. I was a messenger on Park Avenue one summer, before bicycles, and I was on the streets every day. It was great.

Well, let me clarify - I meant foot traffic, because he’s not quite oblivious enough to stand in the path of taxis that will run a lone pedestrian down like a hungry lion on a wounded gazelle. :slight_smile: I’ve seen the packs of people stopping the flow of cars, though, and taken advantage of being among them once or twice. It’s an interestingly aggressive pedestrian style, which I wish I could implement elsewhere.