Miracle Fruit! (Or holy crap this tastes like awesome)

So I heard this stuff called miracle fruit a few years back, how it was the craze in Japan. Apparently, they were eating this fruit and then for the next hour or so, everything sour or bitter tasted sweet. “Interesting,” thought I, and did a little research, and looked if there was anywhere to buy such a thing - no luck. Mostly it was only grown in Japan, and shipping here was problematic due to it not keeping well. Well a few years go buy and I again read something about it - but this time it’s more readily available. A few places in Florida sell the berries, and I found a couple places in the UK that sold it freeze-dried. I decided to buy two grams of the freeze dried stuff, since it was pretty cheap and kept well. Well, it came in the mail today, and so I went to the grocery store to buy the two most popular things to try with it - lemons and Guinness. Let me tell you, the lemons taste fantastic. Like candy, only fresher. Only a hint of sourness. The Guinness is in the fridge cooling down some, but I’ve got a golden ale in front of me I’ve been sipping down, and it’s fantastic. Again, only a hint of the bitter. Kind of tastes like malty sweet tea…only more appetizing than that. I’ve still got some granny smith apples and the Guinness to try, but so far this is fantastic.

I should order some pure citric acid to use as a sweetener from now on!

Wow–I’ve never heard of anything like that. Could you tell me the name of the fruit, so I can try to find some for myself?

At the risk of getting wooshed- It’s called “miracle fruit.”

Or even magic berry.

That stuff is the BEST! I had a friend in collage who was a botany major and was working on breeding it here in FL. He brought some for a party once and we all had fun drinking the most bitter stouts we could buy. Once you removed the bitter aspect, it was amazing all the nuances you can detect in alcohol!

I grow a couple of miracle fruit bushes. They are not easy to grow, but its not impossibly difficult. They are very slow growing so its better to buy a good size plant that is mature enough to be producing berries. You can get one from Pine Island Nursery in Florida.

Growing them in a greenhouse like I do and like they do in Japan is best, but you can try one just indoors in a bright location with added humidity. A very acid soil like peat moss is also very important.

Eating “acid” fruits like tomatoes, strawberries and citrus after eating one of these berries is awesome. Everyone should try one!

OK, where can you get this stuff retail? I do not plan on growing my own…

Must…have…links

Now I want to try this. Maybe it’ll get Dangerosa to actually like beer. Although it’d wear off…

Here’s one! Not too expensive, either, looks like 4 UK pounds + 2.50 pounds international shipping for a 2 gm tube.

ETA: And this place says they’ll match any price…

If the West has known about this fruit since 1725, as stated in the Wikipedia entry, how come someone hasn’t made a big deal about it until now?

Sailboat

I got mine here for 5 pounds UK (about 10USD), shipping included.

That sounds awesome! It says all you need to use to for the effects to work are a few granules. How many would come in 2 grams worth? Is that like tiny grains of sugar? Or a whole piece of dried fruit?

Lemme know how it works with Diet Soda. I’m very curious about this… I hope I can track some down locally.

I wonder if it would help me eat vegetables?

I just have to ask: How does it taste with Bacon Salt?

I had a dream about Miracle Fruit last night. Thanks, Straight Dope. :stuck_out_tongue:

I just ordered some from http://www.miraclefruit.co.uk/buy.html .

The site has some interesting videos of people trying it out. This guy also describes his experience. Can’t wait to try it.

Edit: NPR story. I’m trying to find this Curtis Mosey guy in Florida. Apparently you can grow MF and distribute it but can’t advertise it.

EVIL! EVIL! You’re supposed to drink Guinness WARM! damn Americans.

How have I never heard of this before? Am ordering some stat. Then eating all my yucky veggies.