7 hours. 40 minutes. And Counting. Enough already!

It isn’t even something special. An old, beat into the ground, Nissan Sentra. Why would anyone spend the money to install an alarm system in car that can’t be worth more than $1000. It doesn’t even have a radio in it!

It’s a very loud alarm. And it’s been filling the neighborhood with it’s shrieking horn and siren for 7 hours and 44 minutes. Must have a Diehard battery …

They (the neighbors) left last night to go into Salt Lake for some family thing. The alarm went off at 3:18 AM (according to my clock). It was apparently tripped by a stray cat jumping up on the hood. You can see the muddy paw prints.

But, despite all that, I’m not pitting the fucknut 19 year old asshat that has somehow disabled the auto-reset feature that most of these alarms have. Not even the fact that he has the sensitivity up so high that it goes off every time it starts to snow.

No, if I the person who has earned my wrath, and therefore this pitting, it is the idiot that called the Sheriff.

By the time I got there with my 8 pound sledge hammer to ‘disable’ the alarm, the Deputy had already arrived*. He says that there really isn’t anything anyone can do except let the battery go dead. And he’s been sitting out there on the hill for nearly eight hours now watching to make sure someone doesn’t vandalize the car to shut the fucking alarm off.

Someone like me.

I’m still surrounded by idiots.

Lucy

Alternate Pit Worthy Entity: Sheriff’s Department. Doesn’t that Deputy have somewhere else to go? No other crimes afoot? Aren’t there any good donut shops in town? How 'bout Starbucks? I’ll buy …

*Has to be the fastest response time ever. Usually takes two to three days to get them out on something like a ‘man with a gun’ or a ‘domestic violence’ call …

Christ, all one needs to do is disconnect the battery cables and it’ll stop. The deputy probably has the right to do that… moron.

Did he write a ticket for public nuisance or for a noise ordinance or something?

Uhh, actually, no. Not in Nevada. Or at the very least, this part of Nevada.

This car alarm is mobile. It is not a burglar alarm in a residence. A call placed to the Deputy District Attorney (DDA) this morning apparently places this stupid mobile alarm in a grey area not yet addressed by Nevada case law. At least, apparently, the DDA is unaware of any precedent.

IANAL, I do not understand this at all, but the DDA is unwilling to allow the deputy to forcibly enter the vehicle to disable the alarm. DDA currently consulting with higher(?*) authority :dubious: to see if public nuisance laws take precedent.**

Status: DDA left a message on someone’s voicemail … is waiting for a return call.

Still surrounded by idiots.

Lucy

*Frankly, I think the DDA is high enough already.

**Okay. Please tell me that you have got to be shitting me! Have hammer. Will deal with it. Pretty sure the kid’s insurance will cover it, too. Please look over there ---->> for just a minute … :smiley:

On preview: there ain’t nobody around to write a ticket or issue anything to!

Ugh. I get annoyed when I accidentally hit my panic button and have to hear the horn beep 4 times before I can shut it off. I feel for your pain.

I firmly believe there should be a law that says, if a car alarm goes off for more than 60 seconds, the car’s legal protection is removed.

It’s one of my many sensible legal suggestions. For example, I also think that if your turn signal has been on for more than 30 seconds, your car’s steering wheel ought to go ahead and make the turn for you, and Detroit should be required to build this override into all new cars.

Also, if you make a turn without first signaling it–even a lane change–your car should tell you that you have 60 seconds to reach a safe stopping point before the car turns off; highway patrol should carry some sort of device that will allow you to turn your car back on. (We could be forgiving with this law, and allow people, say, two signalless-turns per month before this measure kicks in).

Also, my car should have a gravity beam on it that allows me to lift other cars up in the air and gently set them down on the side of the road if they’re driving like idiots, and Detroit should be required to build this into any car I drive. Not anyone else’s car, because there are some real idiots out there who would abuse such a privilege, and I don’t want that.

I keep meaning to send these ideas to my senator, but I forget to do it.

Daniel

Is there anyone left who thinks car alarms are a good idea? For doing anything other than identifying the owner as a fucking jackass, that is?

No one really thinks “<Gasp!> A car alarm! Someone’s vehicle must be getting burglarized! I must call the authorities at once!”, so I’d like to extend this pitting to anyone who ever intentionally sets a car alarm.

Depending how pissed off you (and the neighbors) are, Lucy, you could argue that you, and your neighbors are now a class for a class action lawsuit, naming both the neighbors and the Sheriff’s department as being cupable in a effective conspiracy to prevent anyone from sleeping for the weekend.

I doubt it would go through all the way to a settlement, but I wonder whether the threat of such a suit might not convince the deputy to turn aside to watch the pretty flowers.

If a car alarm were going off right in front of the Sheriff’s Office, I wonder if they would take that same “we can’t do anything about it” attitude.

You could keep calling the sheriff’s department and let them listen through your cell phone… :wink:

Have I ever mentioned that I love the way your mind works?
Update: Okay. We can all go on vacation to Fairy Farkle Land.

At the sign post up ahead, we will be making a blind left turn into The Twilight Zone.

DDA showed up at the scene. Can’t get a ruling from a high* authority. It’s Saturday, and no one seems to be available. Imagine that.

Sheriff (not just one of his Deputies) came out and surveyed the situation. After calmly listening to the complaints and suggestions, he has ruled thusly:

Since I and each of 19 of my neighbors are willing to pony up $20 bucks cash ($400 total) he will allow us to call the local towing company and have the thing towed out beyond hearing range and left until the battery dies, at which time the vehicle will be returned to its present location.

We’re all pretty cool with that.

This is the The Twilight Zone part: The DDA insists that an armed constable be provided at taxpayer expense to guard the vehicle until such time as the rightful owner returns to take possession of the vehicle. Even after the vehicle is brought back to it’s present location. :confused:

Taxpayer expense. :confused: :confused:

To guard a vehicle who’s want ad would read:

1997 Nissan Sentra. Blue. Runs. Good Alarm System. $500 obo. 555-7777.

I happen, by a really strange coincidence, to own a 1998 Nissan Sentra. I doubt it’s worth more than $500 and it’s in much better condition than this piece of shit noise maker. Will the county provide a guard for my car when I leave town??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I just want to know what kind of battery this POS has in it. 9 hours, 21 minutes. And counting.

Tow truck at least 45 minutes out. :mad:

Lucy

*That ain’t no typo of the word higher. Although a case could certainly be made for the increasing level of the DDA’s apparent highness.

Please tell me that you and the neighbors have come to an agreement that the next time this happens, nobody will make a phone call.

Keep a hammer and screwdriver handy.

Ack! Someone’s car alarm went off directly in front of my store for about 2 hours one day and I was practically catatonic. Just recalling it is giving me a headache. I’m amazed you could see to type to post this thread.

best wishes

I believe that in my state an ‘alarming’ car can be towed after half-an-hour, at the owner’s expense.

Gah! I’m sorry Lucy. That’s awful. I’m not too hopeful about the voicemail thing. The boonies of Utah have fuck-all for cell phone reception. They won’t get the message until they make the turn into their own driveway. Maybe you’ll get lucky, and one of your neighbors will start a trash fire with the deputy sitting there. At least your tax dollars won’t be completely wasted. :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay. In our continuing tour of The Twilight Zone:

The DDA has, much to our dismay, made contact with a judge. After discussing this situation at length, here is where we stand:

On one side, we have a DDA, his armed constable, and a Judge in a cell. On a cell. Phone. On a cellphone.

On the other side, we have the Sheriff, four of his Deputies, the tow truck driver, 41 neighbors, interested observers and rubberneckers. There were 42, but after hearing what I just heard, me and my 8 pound sledgehammer just had to walk away before the sledgehammer took it upon itself to hurt someone. And just where the hell is the reporter from the Elko Daily Free Press? I want pictures. I want documentation. 'Cause nobody with more than a 3rd grade education is gonna believe this!

Here’s the deal: Putting the car on the tow truck would constitute an impoundment. As I understand it, if understanding it is even possible, Nevada law makes no provisions for impoundment of vehicles on private property, except in the case of an abandoned vehicle, in which case the complaint must be made by the property owner.

This vehicle is clearly not abandoned (it has current tags, registration and insurance), and anyway, no complaint is forthcoming from the property owner due to the fact that he’s in Salt Lake with his dipshit teenaged son.

Soooo, the Sheriff can take no action until after 10:00 PM, at which time the nuisance noise ordinance will become applicable. Then, and only then, can the Sheriff or one of his deputies make forceable entry into the vehicle and disable the alarm. Oh, yeah, one more thing will have to happen: someone will have to call in a new complaint about the noise.

The fact that all of this started at 3:18 AM or so when the nuisance noise ordinance was in full effect appears to bear no relevance at all in this situation because the Judge did not render his opinion until after noon.

Until then, we’ll just have to ride it out. With ear plugs firmly in place. Oh, and just to be certain that no one will take the law into their own hands, the constable will continue to stand guard, cause that will cost less than leaving a Deputy behind. (Let me assure you that I sincerely pity that poor son of bitch. Hope he don’t have to pee … 'cause a more than just a few of us will be watching!)

Surely the battery will be dead by 10:00 PM. Won’t it? I know that if it was my car and I accidently left the lights on the battery would be dead in 15 minutes!

I’m telling you: Ya just can’t make shit like this up.

Here’s the really frustrating part about all this: the offending car is parked just 300 feet from my living room. My wife is in Salt Lake with the Jeep. The Nissan is buried in a 3’ snow drift, 60’ away from anything resembling dry land (We just don’t bother with it during the winter months. That’s what the Grand Cherokee is for …). My big truck is parked in town due to the fact that recent snow storms have made it impossible to bring the rig home. I’m basically a prisoner in my own home 'til my wife gets back tomorrow, so I can’t even leave to get away from this shit.

And, as a personal note to any law makers who may happen upon this: Why do you guys think it’s okay to be obnoxiously noisy until 10:00 PM??? Some people go to bed before 10 PM. In fact, some of us even try to go to bed as early as 8:00 PM (especially those of us who usually get up at 3:00 AM because we actually work for a living).

Dammmit! Nearly eleven hours now! I want that battery!

Lucy

[SIDEBAR] To Cheez-Whia: How nice of you to remember. However, the burn restrictions were lifted last fall, so it would make no difference - except for providing a small measure of warmth for the constable. For everyone else, I believe the reference is to the fact that some of my neighbors are idiots. I also believe I may have mentioned that before. At least that time I managed to get some documentation! [/SIDEBAR]

:o

Hmmmph. Maybe not.

Apparently the links in that thread to the documentation I thought I had no longer work. And a preliminary search of the EDFP website failed to turn up the appropriate articles.

Am I in a 1984 time warp or something? :dubious:

Lucy

I would shoot that car. And then I’d put its owner in the stocks with “MORON” tattooed on his forehead. And put him in the middle of town with a basket of rotten tomatoes bearing the sign “Free. Please throw.” on it. And then the wolverines would be released.

I think that you are not in a time warp, but rather that you are in an alternate universe populated by all the great legal minds who were once probed by space aliens – a black hole of stupidity.

Wait, there’s snow over where you are? Why don’t you and your neighbors go shovel (or snowblower) your front yards, and maybe practice building igloos?