What is the difference between Ruffles and Wavy Lays?

This is something I’ve been wondering. They’re made by the same people, both fried, made of potatoes, and have ridges to allow for dip holding?

Why two different names?

The amplitude and wavelength of the waves in “Wavy Lays” are greater than those of the “Ruffles” product.

They also taste different.

Ruffles - Bed quilts and bed linen by Laura Ashley.

Wavy Lays - Sex on a bed with quilts and bed linen by Laura Ashley.

At least you didn’t ask about Ruffles & Flourishes.

whut?

Aren’t Ruffles an actual slice of potato, whereas Lays are reconstituted potato flakes?

Ruffles taste better.

Ruffles are superior in every way. Taste, rigidity, texture, dipping ability… But actual differences, it’s just a finer ridge. I’ve also wondered what the point of making both but perhaps there’s a difference in preference significant enough?

Ruffles have ridges. They were around way before the Wavy Lays and were the only ones that didn’t break in the dip. I don’t see any reason for them both other than to take up more shelf space, and be be there for people that have always eaten one or the other. The only difference is the larger waves on the Wavy Lays.

Aside/hijack: what do you guys call these things?

1. Chips
  2. Crisps
  3. Fries
  4. Other
  1. Chips - Potato Chips- Thin crisp slices of a potato fried or baked.
  2. Crisps - Potato mush molded thin and fried or baked.
  3. Fries - French Fries - Cut potato strips or potato mush shaped the same way fried or baked.
  4. Fries - Curly Fries - The same as french fries except they are cut into spirals.
  5. Wedges - Cut potato wedges fried or baked.
  6. Steak Fries - Cut potatoes about half an inch thick and one inch wide fried or baked.
    6.Cottage Fries - A wavy cut potato slice that has the pattern for both sides running 90 degrees to each other and fried or baked. The waves form a pattern of holes.
  7. Tater tots - a shredded potato molded into little cylinders fried or baked. It’s a lot like a hash brown.
  8. Hash Browns - Shredded potatoes fried in a pan. People add onions and other stuff to this.

Any fry can be called Seasoned and they have a thin seasoned batter over them.
There are other’s but I’m done.