I thought that was a _________

With apologies to Black Cossacks? thread title, I couldn’t help but think of a game we used to play that started off something like:

1. I thought a Cossack was that ankle-length garment worn by clergy and laymen in Roman Catholic churches

2. No, you’re thinking of that padded cushion or low stool that serves as a foot rest or a seat

3. No, no, you’re thinking of that swinging couch or bed made of canvas or netting and swung from two supports at the ends

4. … and so it goes…

A) did you play such a game?
B) want to keep this one going?
C) what then?

1. I thought that was an area projecting out of a marsh.

Nice one, twickster. Thanks for jumping in so quickly.

I ran the OP (after I had posted it) past Zoe to be sure I had the rules right and she insisted that her version was more fun because in hers you have to go,

1. No, you’re thinking of a cassock which is a padded cushion or low stool that serves as a foot rest or a seat

2. No, that’s a hassock which is that swinging couch or bed made of canvas or netting and swung from two supports at the ends

3. No, that’s a hammock which is an area projecting out of a marsh

4. No, that’s a __________

The benefit to Zoe’s version is that the previous item is at least hinted at, for the benefit of others who wonder WTF is that?

Any better?

:eek: Providing answers? Where’s the fun in that?

:wink:

Well, that’s what I said. I believe we have enough Dopers who would prefer the lack of answers as a more challenging way of playing.

I can go either way. Somebody else ought to decide. Assuming anybody else wants to play…

What is the answer to number one? Because I made that mistake, too, and now it’s driving me crazy.
ETA: Wait, a cassock IS something worn by the clergy. So what is the low stool?

See Post #3, please.

hassock

I’ll play – with or without answers, but would prefer without. Or, we could do with spoiler boxes and split the difference. For instance, for my first post, I’d say:

Hammock

I thought that was an area projecting out of a marsh.

Then whoever guessed mine would put that answer in a spoiler box and make the next move.

Nice compromise, twickster. Should allow the maximum of “playability” in what could probably become quite weird before many plies. An added benefit to your way is that including the spoilered answer would keep multiple answers to the same “question” separated, thereby cutting down on the dead-end offshoots.

If it matters, I was thinking of hillock and wondered if somebody else would go with grassy knoll as a clever retort.

But yours is really Hummock right?

In that case, I’ll say that I thought that was one of those gas-guzzling SUV things.

You are correct, though when you say Hummer I think you’re getting confused with what a hippie would say to express disappointment.

May be you’re thinking of

Bummer

which is that modification to standard pool in that there are rubbery things to act like a pinball machine

What, you mean:bumper?No, those are the cables you use to start up a car with a dead battery.

Excuse me, but a

jumper

is one of those shrubs like a cedar used in landscaping

No, a juniper
is the vein in the neck that you want to cut!

No, sir, a jugularis a fan of that miserable rap group, Insane Clown Posse.

Pardon moi, but I believe you are confusing that with

jugular which is one of those folks at the circus that throws a bunch of balls or swords or dwarfs in the air and catches them

(Dude, you missed my intervening post by like five minutes. Refresh, why dontcha?)

Aaaaaaaanyway…that’s ajuggler…which is a ferocious great cat native to South America.

I can’t get refresh to speed up the 5 minutes. Sorry.

But your jaguar is really the card game they played in The Band Played On that didn’t have any steady rules

Talk about screwing up big time. The movie was Bang the Drum Slowly and the game is Tegwar – The Exciting Game Without Any Rules.

I need severe help. Talk about “I thought that was_____”

Free pass, everybody. Start where you will from “jaguar.”