Explain the lyrics to me

Okay, I’m a little slow on the uptake with these things so bear with me…
That Kenny Loggins song that was remade by Ruben Studdard that plays on American Idol after a singer gets kicked off>>>

“Please, celebrate me home.
Give me a number.”

What exactly does this mean?
Is the singer asking to be given a celebratory sendoff?
What about the ‘give me a number’ part?

I haven’t heard the song (and you haven’t named it), but a “number” can also be slang for a (marijuana) joint.

Sorry, the name of the song actually is Celebrate Me Home.

It’s explained in the lyrics.
“Play me one more song that I’ll always remember.”
He’s asking his friends to play a song he can remember home by until he comes home again.

iiiiiiii still don’t get it.

If that’s the case shouldn’t it be “celebrate my home”?

I’m sorry you still don’t get it, but the song is very clear. He’s home for the holidays and before he leaves, he wants his friends to play him a song that he can keep in his mind to guide him home next Christmas. That’s what the song is talking about. There’s nothing else to “get.” You’re looking for something that isn’t there.

Well, you’ve made clear what the song is about but it still doesn’t explain the 3 word phrase “celebrate me home” or the follow up “give me a number”.

Number == song.
Me == stupid person’s way of saying “my.” (WAG)

Thanks.
I think I get it now.
“Please celebrate my home, give me a song.”

One more potential interpretation/meaning here:

If you take “celebrate” to be a transitive verb, as in celebrate mass, or celebrate Christmas, then it’s conceivable that “celebrate my going home” has been shortened to “celebrate me home” in much the same way that “sing me off this stage” could be used. I don’t see all that much mystery or hidden meaning, just a regional or colloquial way of saying something like:

I’m heading out of here
Make me feel better about leaving by reminding me how good home will be
Sing me something to make that happen

That’s how I always interpreted it- as a verb. Celebrate me/send me off with celebration

Digression: So Reuben didn’t write that song? I thought AI was throwing him a bone since he got dumped from his record label, but the song - or at least this version of it - (IMO) is crap. Compare with the excellent send-offs of “Bad Day” and Daughtry’s “Home” - those songs worked perfectly and struck the right tone to go with the “bummer you’re leaving but you had a great run” sort of vibe. This year the song is pure schlock and makes all the montages seem like the person just died, rather than getting millions of votes from beloved fans across the country and have gained more career-boosting exposure than most musicians could dream of. The hate I have for that song is practically pit-worthy. Gah! :mad:

Okay, sorry, carry on.

ETA: Er, to participate in the thread as intended, I have always thought as BoBettie does, though many of the other interpretations here make sense too.

Yes; “me” is not “my.” “Celebrate” is being used as a transitive verb.