Have you ever made a cranberry sauce that people would eat?

If so, I’d like the recipe. :slight_smile:

I make the standard homemade cranberry sauce every year, and nobody eats it except me (and I’m not that crazy about it). I added orange zest once. Didn’t help. I’ve made a cranberry-apple cobbler – guests liked it, but I want a relish or sauce, not a dessert. What’s the answer? Alcohol?

Have you ever tried a cranberry relish? My grandmother used to make one very similar, and it was so incredibly good, and I don’t like cranberry sauce.

In all seriousness, what’s wrong with plain cranberry sauce out of the can? The whole berry sauce is better, but even the jellied cranberry sauce is good. We usually put out both.

We had wonderful cranberry sauce at (of all places) Disney World. We bought their cookbook, which gave the recipe. The stuff is great – infinitely better than the jellied junk out of the can, and we all look forward to it every year.
It’s basically cranberries cooked with sliced apples and mixed with spices – mostly cinnamon.

Alice, yep, I’ve made that one.

robby, I’m not a food snob, but I think the canned sauce is too tart. I’ve served it – in a nice cut glass dish even – but nobody eats it.

Maybe my guests just don’t like cranberries.

Cal Meacham, that sounds good – applesauce with cranberries, almost. Maybe that’s the trick – cranberries not being the main ingredient.

Here’s the one we do. We cribbed it out of a cookbook years ago. It has apples, pears, and cranberries, and it’s eaten by the whole table, from kids on up.

Cranberries
2 bags fresh cranberries
2 large apples, peeled and chopped coarsely(1-1 1/2 inch chunks)
2 Bartlett pears, peeled and chopped(1 1/2 inch chunks)- use pears that are ripe but not soft
3 cups sugar
3 cups fresh squeezed orange juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix all together and cook at slow boil for 25-30 minutes. Pour into serving dish and let cool.

The secret for most people is sugar: lots, and lots of sugar.

Maybe your problem is that most of your guests just don’t like cranberries. I know almost no one I am acquainted with does. That’s ok, that just means there are more for me. :slight_smile:

Seriously, isn’t the tartness of a cranberry, like, the whole point? If you don’t like tartness, maybe you just don’t like cranberries.

I make a simple sauce every year. It gets good reviews.

Satsumas and clementines are usually nice this time of year so I use them sometimes but oranges will work perfectly.

1 bag of fresh cranberries per 10 people.
3 Satsumas or Clementines per bag or one large orange.
zest of the above
Sugar 1 1/2 cup or adjusted to your liking.
OJ

[ol]
[li]I take the zest from the oranges and then usually make supremes (a method of cutting" if you do not know how to cut a supreme just peel and dice up the citrus removing as much of the membranes as possible. [/li]
[li]Add the cranberries whole the cut up oranges, zest, 1/2c up sugar to a pan and enough orange juice or whatever to not quite cover the berries all the way. [/li]
[li]Cook till all/most of the berries break open 10 min or so.[/li][/ol]
Then for a nice presentation.

[ol]
[li]Take a bowl or a nice vessel and line the bottom with nice satsuma/orange slices.[/li]
[li]Then gently spoon the cold cranberry mixture into the bowl atop the slices.[/li]
[li]Cool it in the fridge overnight or for a couple hours at least. [/li]
[li]To unmold just invert on a nice plate. and if you really want to get fancy garnish with a mint leaf or some added fresh zest.[/li][/ol]

The molding part is truly optional. I will assure you though that the presentation will get more to try it. The taste I feel is great for cranberry sauce.

It is a great dish it molds easily and you can make it days ahead. And it will last weeks in the fridge.

My favorite is cranberry orange relish. I might have a recipe around somewhere, but I usually improvise. It’s really simple–chop up a bag of cranberries and one or two oranges and some walnuts (maybe about a cup). Add sugar to taste (it takes more sugar than you’d think, so just keep adding it until it’s sweet enough). It’s tart and sweet and just divine with a nice juicy piece of turkey!

My recipe can barely be called a recipe; just simmered cranberries, mashed up, with sugar.

Instead of the 1:1 simple syrup, I use one cup of orange juice and a half cup sugar, then cook the berries as usual.

Never had a problem with leftovers.

My Great Aunt’s Cranberry Relish

2 c. water
1-1/2 - 2 c. sugar
Boil 5-10 minutes.

2 oranges cut into 1/2" cubes (don’t peel)
Add and cook at low boil for about 10 minutes.

1 package cranberries, rinsed and picked over
*Add and cook 5-10 minutes.

Cool.*

If you wish, add 1 cup broken-up walnut meat, stir, refrigerate covered overnight.

My mother makes a version with Splenda and while it’s a bit more tart, it doesn’t put me in a coma.

My Grandma made the best cranberry relish ever, I will have to dig up the recipie. It uses jello, cranberries, nuts, celery, oranges (peel and all) I make it every year.

I thought it’d be fun to make this cranberry salsa for Thanksgiving 4 or 5 years ago. I’ve made it every year since. It has been a surprisingly big hit with everyone that has tried it, and my husband (a notorious cranberry sauce hater) reminds me every year to make it. It’s so good and so easy.

I don’t serve it with cream cheese though. I serve it on its own, along with tortilla chips and a dish of creme fraiche

Hmmmmmm… made with clementines. I love clementines. Matter of fact have a box of 'em right now. I just might try that. Thanks fifty-six!

Of course I have to have the jellied cranberry sauce right out of the can. It just ain’t Thanksgiving unless I hear the sound it makes sliding out of the can. :smiley:

1 bag of cranberries
1 jar of orange marmalade
2 apples, cored
1 cup walnut pieces

Dump in food processor, pulse a few times until the apples and cranberries are still chunky but not too big. Add brown sugar to taste. Whirl again. Store in the refrigerator. Try not to eat it all before the big meal. (“Just another spoonful…”)

Dang, I’m such a rube! I love the canned stuff - and I don’t mean the fancy canned sauce, either. Just the plain old Ocean Spray jellied cranbelly sauce: open the can, punch a hole in the bottom to let air in, dump it out schplock! and cut it into slices. Mom tried to fancy it up a couple times way back when, and nobody’d eat anything that hadn’t once been in the shape of a can: “EWW…that’s not REAL cranberry sauce!!”

I adore Mama Stamberg’s Cranberry Relish, and I do believe others eat it, but I don’t pay much attention because I’m busy scarfing it down myself.

Of course, it sounds horrible (cranberries, sugar, sour cream, onion, and horseradish), and it looks horrible (pepto pink), so perhaps not the best choice if people are rejecting standard cranberry sauce. But if you can get them to taste it - ah, it’s dynamite.

AuntiePam, could I have your recipe for cranberry-apple cobbler? It sounds good. But then, I love cranberries and would eat yours at Thanksgiving dinner without you having to fancy it up.