Cranberry sauce: Canned or Homemade

Of course it is a person that prefers the canned sauce that is posting this poll. People that prefer the homemade stuff can’t fathom that the canned is preferred. In my case, it isn’t just preferred, but it is a complete disappointment to have a Thanksgiving dinner without it. You cant slice homemade cranberry sauce like you can out of the can. For god sakes it has cranberry skins in it that muck up the texture.

Don’t get me wrong, I like homemade cranberry sauce. It just has to be served in addition to canned cranberry sauce. Of course, I’m talking about the kind of cranberry sauce without the berries.

I prefer homemade but I won’t turn my nose up the canned jellied kind either. I mix some dried cherries in with my homemade stuff so it will be more palatable for my kids.

I don’t eat cranberry sauce at all, but if I buy it, it MUST come out of the can. It’s not Thanksgiving without the cylinder with the can ridges…

Oh, hi honey. I didn’t know you posted on here. :dubious:

The canned jelly has its applications (and would be a total PITA to make at home, it’s jelly!) but the homemade stuff is dead ass easy: bag o’ berries, scoop of sugar, on lowish stove for about 15 minutes in a non stick pot, stir sometimes, pull off heat. The directions are on the bag of berries.

My dad makes his own bread cubes for stuffing, so our family’s pretty turkey-extreme

A little balsamic goes nicely in there too.

I’ve never been a big fan of cranberry sauce in either form. Is it that big of a deal? Am I comitting serious crimes to humanity by leaving it out?

Although I have been on a jelly-making kick lately, and it might be fun to make and can my own…

The only acceptable kind is the kind with the berries still in it. Homemade is best, but canned sauce with the berries still in it is still edible. The jellied kind, on the other hand, is for people who have just gotten past the Gerber’s strained peas phase.

I used to eat at least one can by myself growing up. I was confused the first time I saw the non-formed cranberry stuff and while my tastes have refined, it’s still gotta be canned.

I used to wonder why people enjoyed it at all, but then I had the canned stuff, and it’s great!
Who doesn’t love Jello as a kid, and getting to smear it on Turkey? It just makes it better.
I prefer Cranberry sauce and Turkey any day over Turkey and Gravy.

mmm homemade! We use gingerbeer (aka ginger ale) in ours, along with a little sugar, some orange and orange zest. I think that’s all (besides the cranberries, of course). It is just scrumptious!

Add a handful of chopped walnuts, a half-cup of orange marmelade, and it’s even better.

Heretic! The nuts go in the stuffing. The (dried) cranberries do not go in the stuffing. The stuffing goes inside the bird, hence ‘stuffing’.

You though BBQ aficionados were fanatical about beef vs. pork? Get people going about turkey day preferences:D

Blasphemer! NO NUTS IN THE STUFFING! Oysters go in the stuffing.

(That oughta get everyone riled up. :wink: )

This recipe changed my life. Well, not really. But it does make me buy up and freeze tons of cranberries every Thanksgiving so that I can have it year round. Highly recommended (even if it is Martha).

Actually, I like both! But I’m one of those gals that goes overboard for every holiday dinner…everything must be made from scratch, and I cook myself into a stupor getting everything ready. So, it must be homemade for me. Although my Mom still brings at least one can over every Thanksgiving, so we end up serving both. But for the record–my homemade is better!

I want the canned. And I want the bottom slice with the ridges on it.

Sliced is how it was always served in my family, but wouldn’t stirring it up in a bowl after you plop it out of the can be the proper way to serve it?

Exactly. Fortunately all my family agrees. :cool:

It’s not like I’m morally opposed to chunky cranberry sauce. If that’s what you want, feel free to make some.

It has to be homemade for me, because I don’t have access to the canned version, and although I have never actually eaten cranberry sauce, it isn’t Thanksgiving without it, so there you go. I’m always on the lookout for a new recipe, so many thanks, Doctor Who!

MUST be homemade! 1 bag of fresh cranberries, 1 cup orange guice, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup walnuts, 1 can mandarin oranges, drained. (You can use this in the 1 cup juice) Boil it till the berries pop, remove from heat.

Yum.