RIP Nurse Chapel, Lwaxana Troi, Computer Voice

http://www.accesshollywood.com/star-trek-creators-widow-passes-away_article_12706

Zev Steinhardt

Oh, no! :frowning:

Shit.

I didn’t even know she was ill. I hadn’t seen anything about it.

Nooo!

That sucks.

Personally, I thought that Number One (from The Cage) and Nurse Chapel were blah characters. Lwaxana, however, was a great character. She did a great job with her.

Zev Steinhardt

Ah man! That’s really sad.

Let’s not forget her work on Earth: Final Conflict, either.

Whaa! How terrible! MSNBC says leukemia. I didn’t even know she was ill.

She did the computer voice too? Hm. Never knew that.

RIP, Most Excellent Consort of the Great Bird!

She was an essential part of the ST family and will be missed.

This is sad. :frowning: On the bright side she’s probally enough voice work to continue playing the voice of the computer in any future Star Trek productions.

Anybody know if she did the computer voice for the new re-imagined (or re-booted, or whatever) Star Trek film coming out?

IMO, they ought to dedicate the film to her.

IMDb credits her as Enterprise Computer for the new film.

And I agree with the dedication idea.

[memory I wish I didn’t have]
Went to see Undiscovered Country and when the title card dedicating the film to Gene came up, snot-nosed asswipe in the seat in front of me turns to his equally snot-nosed asswipe friend and says, “Who’s that?”
[/memory I wish I didn’t have]

I’d be enormously surprised if they didn’t.

My co-worker just told me she did indeed. That is a fitting end to her career.

My favorite line of hers was when the Enterprise computer has been “upgraded” to give it personality and she replies to Kirk’s memorandum about scrapping the upgrade with, “Computed.” There is genuine hurt in her voice as she says it. Steals the scene, and does it without even being seen!

Crap. Her characters could get on my nerves a bit, but I understood she wanted to poke a little fun at the stodginess of the series and respected her for it. That’s a shame. And she did have a killer voice.

Well, phooey.

But, Gene waited a long time for her to join him…I’m glad they’re together again.

There’s a great scene in the one of the very few good Voyager episodes (Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy) wherein the Doc starts having hallucinations. In one fantasy, he is convinced that there’s going to be a warp core breach, and Majel’s voice booms “Warning: Warp Core Breach a lot sooner than you think! Time to be a hero, Doctor, GET GOING!

She does it with such comic sincerity yet still manages to sound like a computer. A truly great moment in voice acting.

Youtube link to that scene. It IS great!