Did Olmert make Rice change UN vote?

Now I am firmly in the camp which believes that the Israel lobby has too much influence in DC but this is pretty hard to believe especially the bit about Bush getting off the podium to speak to Olmert. The State Department is denying the vote was changed. So is Olmert making this up and if so why? Regardless of whether Olmert is telling the truth I think it's pretty revealing that he feels he can humiliate a US secretary of state in this way.

The Secretary of State does not vote at the United nations. We have a UN ambassador for that function.

OK, assuming that what Olmert meant was that Rice directed the UN ambassador to abstain, how reliable is Olmert? Has he a reputation for absolute honesty? Or does he have a Reagan/Clinton/Bush II tendency to create reality as he needs to?

Yes but the UN ambassador doesn’t get to choose how to vote for high-profile resolutions like this one. Presumably since Rice was playing such a big role in the resolution, he was receiving instructions from her.

Edit:saw your second post. That’s precisely the question I am asking. Is Olmert just making this up? Of course he could be partly telling the truth and also embellishing some details: i.e. Israel did manage to get the vote changed but the bit about Bush walking off the podium is made up. Even if he is making it all up he presumably think the story is believable which tells you something.

I don’t think your correct. This article has a picture of Rice voting to abstain. I suspect that when the SoS is present at UN Security Council meetings, she does the actual voting instead of the Ambassador.

ETA: Also I think the guy who looks like he’s taking a nap behind her instead of voting is Zalmay Khalilzad, the US Ambassador to the UN

It almost doesn’t matter if he’s lying – either way, he clearly feels comfortable either using, or portraying, Rice (and/or GWB) as his lackey. If I say your wife, uh, whatevered me, that’s hostile whether true or a lie.

It is not clear to me whom Olmert is rebuking for what. Certainly not Bush and Rice for doing what he asked?

I read it that “rebuke” is implicit in the fact that he is publicly lording his (claimed) dominance over them as punishment for Rice’s earlier plan to vote in favor of the resolution, which he was against.

More on the story:

Is there a reason Olmert wants folks to think that he has the “juice” to make GWB/Rice/USA do his bidding?

(Cue Vader: “What is thy bidding, my Master?”)

Is he intending this for his home crowd, to create some form of impression that he is a powerful guy, still?

Is he intending to inflame the stereotype that the other Middle East countries have of the USA/Isreali relationship? (Intended, maybe, to “force” the US in Isreal’s “camp”, by causing tension and hostility between Isreal’s enemies in the ME towards the US, leading to real acts, and creating an Enemy-of-my-enemy situation from the US viewpoint.)

Or is he not that clever?

I’d go with that, speculatively. It may not be coincidental that with a new Administration coming in, he would see it as advantageous to show that he’s not unwilling to try to make even a very pro-Israel Administration/official look like his biatch when they deviate from his party line. Hey Obama, there’s more in store if you give us any static on Gaza, etc.

My guess is that Olmert was more or less telling the truth but thought it wouldn’t be widely reported because it was in Hebrew.

Some more details:

Really, this is seriously humiliating for the US government. Bush and especially Rice must be livid.

Some piece missing here. How could it have been possible that Olmert didn’t already know how Rice was going to vote (or instructing to vote, whatever)? The story line seems to imply that Olmert found out at the last minute that State would support the resolution, and rushed to the phone.

Anybody see this too, or am I the only guy home on derange?

D’oh!

Why would you say “stereotype”? What other proof do you need beyond this article to stop calling it a sterotype when clearly that is the modus operandi?

On another note, if this is not it, what would be the proof beyond doubt ?

[SARCASTIC] Maybe if Mr. Olmert conferenced you in? [/SARCASTIC]

MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Sorry.

To answer your question, no, Ehud Olmert does not have a reputation for absolute honesty. Ehud Olmert has a reputation for being a smug, lying, arrogant, self-aggrandizing asshole. There’s a *reason *he has single-digit approval ratings, you know?

I don’t know. Talansky obviously figured he could talke Olmert’s words to the bank.

Now that’s what I call damning with faint praise.

Hey, if he’s not enough for you, there’s always Frank Lowy. I’m sure I can find all sorts of character witnesses for Olmert.

Clearly.
Along those clear lines, for how many years has Jerusalem been Israel’s official capital and seat of government?
For how many years has our embassy been located there?