Relocating a squirrel = death sentence? (for the squirrel)

Would live-trapping and relocating a squirrel, right now, likely cause said squirrel to freeze or starve to death?

About two days ago a squirrel became a nuisance around my home (the reason why is below, but isn’t really part of my question). For a number of good reasons, simply dispatching him to squirrel heaven (quickly and humanely) isn’t an option. So my idea is to buy a live trap, catch him, drive 20+ miles away, and release him.

However, someone pointed out that here, locally around my house, he might have a nest and food stores. Relocating him would mean he’d likely freeze or starve to death, which would be less humane than just shooting him in the first place.

So that’s my question. For the reasons mentioned (or other reasons, please let me know), would relocating him right now likely cause his death? I live in central Maryland.

(Would the *location * he was relocated to make a difference? Maybe a housing development that borders on woods, like mine? My thought was… if he’s surviving here, the same environment (but far away from here) might also work.)

Thanks.

(The Reason Why – I have a bird feeder on my deck, which is off the second floor of a townhouse. There are no stairs to the ground level, neither on mine nor the other second story decks on this row of townhouses, but of course there are posts in the ground holding it up. I’ve had the birdfeeder out there for almost a year. The squirrels hadn’t discovered it, until this past Thursday or Friday. One did. I’m pretty sure its just one. I’ve been watching it this weekend, and I’m pretty sure it’s just the one. I’d rather not have to squirrel-proof the feeder, but neither do I really want to kill the squirrel. Which is why I ask… would relocating it likely be killing it?)

Yeah, good luck with that.:rolleyes:

Everyone I know, including myself, who tried to use those “have a heart” traps found that while trying to release the little bastards they tend to bite and scratch and are overall freaking out like crazy in the cage. It’s not as easy as the trap maker says it is.

And I can assure you, you have or will have more than one to contend with. Squirrels leave a scent in an area of shelter or food that tells other squirrels it’s an ok place to come to. That, combined with the bird feeder is a beacon for a zillion squirrels to show up. Seeing they’ve finally discovered it, you may have to go to a squirrel proof feeder or get rid of it entirely.

I won’t debate the issue, but when I had problems with them I dispatched them humanly and in a legal manner. Theres no guilt to be had in killing a freaking rat with a bushy tale. But that’s just me.

You will probably reduce the squirrel’s chance of surviving the winter, by an amount that’s difficult to quantify (depends, among other things, on the food resources in the area where you dump him, and the number of squirrels already there).

As pkbites notes, it may be a bit naive to think that this will eliminate your problem. Another squirrel will move in, and may soon figure out the bird feeder.

With a slight ideological adjustment, you might be on the cusp of a new fad.

Apparently, the little critters are tasty eating. For some.

NY Times story

:slight_smile:

On a par with rabbit, I’d say. Worthwhile if you can economically catch enough.

Not really. People have been hunting/eating squirrel forever. My Dad had to do it during the depression if he wanted anything to eat.

Not me, though. Blech! It’s a rat! A rat with a bushy tail, but still a rat! I’m not a fussy eater, but I’ll starve to death before I eat a rat! Yuck!

In the winter, yes, it’s going to be rather rough on the squirrel.:frowning:

You can also put of food for the squirrel, they make some very amusing things for squirrels and cornonthecob, for example.

Why not be nice to him until the spring?

Would you eat a bird? A bird is just a large rat with feathers. Ecch! Turkey for dinner!

And if you relocate the squirrel, he may come back – the homing instinct is strong. Try relocating to another continent to be sure.

Hey, it might taste like pumpkin pie. :stuck_out_tongue:

I bet that if you went 72 hours without food, you’d eat a rat right out of the sewer.

Here’s a YouTube video of an interesting squirrel “relocating” device.

Can’t comment on the effect of relocating the squirrel(s) - but one other alternative is to use a hot-pepper-laced feed. One link.

Apparently the squirrels can taste the hot stuff, and the birds cannot. Our seed feeder is squirrel-proof (they do get the spillage, which I don’t mind) but we also have suet feeders - which the squirrels would empty out in 24 hours. Switching to a hot-pepper suet fixed that.

Well, until this year with the acorn shortage. The squirrels were so hungry they developed a taste for the stuff. I wound up buying corn to put out for them, which has helped somewhat.

I don’t know about squirrels leaving scent markings to attract other squirrels because they are definitely territorial. As long as your squirrel is around he will keep others away. If you kill it or relocate it another squirrel will show up pretty quickly. The best bet is to get a squirrel proof bird feeder.

As far as eating them being a new fad, maybe so in yankee land but in Alabama they have been eating them for a long long time. I moved to California years ago and now prefer to hug them but my cousins go squirrel hunting regularly and they sure don’t do it to mount them on the wall…

My favorite squirrel disposal method: Large Rubbermaid garbage can, filled 2/3 full of water, covered with enough leaves that there is a dry-looking layer of leaves on top. For some reasons the little suckers are convinced there is something worth having in there, and they jump in and drown. Discovered it quite by accident.

Jeez, that’s flipping awful!:eek: Damn, if those people don’t like squirrels, they should have the common decency to kill them quickly and humanely, not use that horrible catapult.

Hello Jimmy. You are to be commended for not wanting to unnecessarily kill the squirrel. Squirrels and birds can coexist at the same feeder. I am not sure what bird feed you are currently using, but if you have some sunflower seeds in the mixture that should satisfy the squirrel. What will typically happen is the squirrel will come to the feeder and clean out the sunflower seeds, and then the birds will come and eat the smaller remaining seeds. You could also try setting up an easily accessible feeder with just sunflower seeds – the squirrel will lose interest in the other feeder very quickly. Also, in-shell peanuts (unsalted!) are popular. If you are patient, you can even get a squirrel to take it out of your hand once it gets used to you. Birds are certainly nice, but a squirrel can be a welcome addition to your “wildlife experience”.

Speaking from personal experience, squirrel is much better tasting than rat.

Squirrel tastes like rabbit.

Rat tastes like rat.

Maybe you could just eat the birds, and keep the squirrel.

Yeah, I agree. My dad used this tactic for a while and relocated the squirrels into one of our local parks. That handle is pretty damn close to the freaking-out squirrel. I think he used heavy leather gloves, and tied a string on to do the final release. Not really worth the effort, but it did seem to cut down on the number of squirrels.

Hilariously, his new problem is fat grey doves that sit on the feeder and keep away the songbirds.

I believe this was a topic right about the time I joined the SDMB.
For one thing, make certain about the laws in your state. Most certainly, some states have laws against killing them, relocating them, etc.
Basically, I’d say (speaking hypothetically as I did in the original topic), killing them is the only solution.
Relocating them causes a bunch of problems. They are on new turf and might find tracking down food is too difficult or as someone else said they are territorial and will not like a new kid in the neighborhood. The chances are that the squirrel will try to find its way back home. Pursuing that return route could be harmful if not fatal (lack of food, hit by cars, etc). If the squirrel miraculously survives and gets back home … well you’re right back at the start of the whole problem. :smack:

There will always be another squirrel. You could kill one every day for a year and you still wouldn’t get them all. I’ve talked to a lot of people who have had success with the pepper sprays for seed. They’re usually a mixture of peppermint oil and cayenne. Birds can’t taste it but the squirrels hate it.

Depending on how you have your feeder mounted you might be able to use a simple baffle. If you describe your setup I can make some suggestions. A baffle is useless if you have any nearby trees that they can leap from. If you want to feed them you could try putting out plain shell corn at ground level. Shell corn is cheap but it will attract more squirrels and may be illegal in areas with a rat problem.

Consider this. If you’re in any sort of urban or suburban setting (or anywhere near a farm or barn) those tree rats are filling a niche that could be occupied by real rats. You can’t put out tasty food without attracting the attention of all the local critters even the less desirable ones.