The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 01-30-2009, 11:36 PM

A Picture Thread: Before & After Make-up, Or Other Things

Inspired by this thread.

This is me before make-up.

This is me after make-up - at least, as much make-up as I own/can bear to put on (I did try to lay on the blush kind of thick for the picture).

How do you look before and after - make-up, a haircut, weight gain or loss, or other changes?
Advertisements  
Old 01-31-2009, 02:48 AM

Here's before makeup (slight misrepresentation, my skin isn't usually that clear).

Here's after.

A hair and glasses evolution:
short hair, green frames (2006)
black hair, black frames (early 2008)
brown hair, black frames (April 2008)
current glasses, somewhat current hair curled for the occasion (late 2008)

I'm sorry, I'm a camera whore.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:19 AM

I hardly ever wear makeup. Maybe 5-10 times a year, only for special occasions. I'm just too lazy. I should probably use it more often though, because as you can see, my eyes are invisible, and I am pale with really ruddy cheeks (I have rosacea).

Without makeup (I'm the one on the left in all the photos):
With my boyfriend
With my nephew
With my mom

With makeup:
With my cousin
With my boyfriend
With my family - I'm on the far left. My makeup was a lot heavier than usual - I decided to do extra special purple shimmery eyeshadow for a holiday party.

Last edited by Green Cymbeline; 01-31-2009 at 04:19 AM..
Old 01-31-2009, 04:19 AM

Ha! CairoCarol, I can't see any difference in your pictures. You ladies got nothing. Now this is scary: before and after the passage of 4 decades.
Me at age 13.
Me at age 53.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:47 AM

Queen of Town: it's good to be a camera whore. Where would picture threads be without camera whores? I thank you for all the great pics.

nyctea scandiaca: assuming the rosacea isn't otherwise a problem, it seems like a good thing - free permanent blush!

3acresandatruck: hah, I didn't even think of that option (probably in denial about my own aging). You look a lot better at 53.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:24 AM

I'm going to post with/without makeup, too--I meant to do it on Friday morning (even put on a little eyeliner) but I left my camera at work.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3acresandatruck View Post
That's 13? You look like a bank manager.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:30 AM

With goatee
With full beard
Clean shaven
Without hair

These span about the last ten years, but except for the shearing, I don't think I change much.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
With goatee
With full beard
Clean shaven
Without hair

These span about the last ten years, but except for the shearing, I don't think I change much.
Which of these fine fellows are we expecting at the Boston 'fest in February?
Old 01-31-2009, 01:22 PM

I don't know what it is about me (perhaps not being so photogenic), but I can look very different in photographs. Here is an album with pictures of me spanning 30 years. I look like 10 different women!
Old 01-31-2009, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ha! CairoCarol, I can't see any difference in your pictures.
Me neither: you look mighty fine in both of them!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Me neither: you look mighty fine in both of them!
If anything, the one without makeup has a slight edge. You have a natural beauty.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:08 PM

Before makeup.
After makeup.

With, of course, a wig thrown in for good measure.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:20 PM
Knocking it up a notch. BAM!

I could only find one photograph of myself without makeup. Apparently the only place I dare to go without The Face is rural Mexico. And I'm still not 100% sure.

no makeup

makeup
Old 01-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivesmarch4th View Post
I could only find one photograph of myself without makeup. Apparently the only place I dare to go without The Face is rural Mexico.
I cannot notice any difference due to makeup: this is probably because in the second photo your face is shaded by your husband.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Just as an addendum, I'm viewing the pics on a cheap LCD monitor, which may make a difference.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorene View Post
There's plenty of time; any requests?
Old 01-31-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorene View Post
waitasecond! I missed the thread! Icanhaslinkplz?
Old 01-31-2009, 06:38 PM

In all those pictures, I have to say I vastly prefer you gals without the makeup. Except CairoCarol, whose pictures look too similar to tell.

I don't get men who like makeup. Why don't they just kidnap a mannequin?
Old 01-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

I have kind of a lot of these...

Ok here are some no-makeup pictures:
getting my hair done
having a rather bad day
haven't gotten out of bed yet

With some makeup:
just some eyeliner/mascara
going out dancing
also going out dancing
and ridiculous faces
(AFTER going out dancing*...yikes!)

And then there's LOTS of makeup:
like this one
eye makeup
Mardi Gras

Or really strange makeup:
changing age (young/old)
changing gender
changing race
changing species
changing everything!
gory stuff
???!?!

*no, dancing didn't change my hair color--this pic was a year earlier.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
With goatee
With full beard
Clean shaven
Without hair

Between the goatee and the full beard, I think the big fuzzy ears is a bigger difference than anything else...
Old 01-31-2009, 07:06 PM

I liked those pics from Robot Arm - a good demonstration of how the same person can look very different due to the presence or absence of facial hair.

NinetyWt - I can't get that link open, much to my disappointment (30 pics is a feast).

While I appreciate the kind words of Quartz and Jkilez, I wasn't looking for compliments - I just had to post something to get the thread started. However, to the extent that those are nice pics, I can explain the secret: as my husband took them, he said "think of your husband!" or "think of our son!" So, as embarrassingly corny as it sounds, it's love that you see in those photos.

fachverwirrt: that's a riot! Your makeup looks sort of like one of the characters in "Space Mutiny," which we watched in the MST3k version last night.

olivesmarch4th - I think I've said this in other picture threads, but your photos never correspond to my mental image of you: you are supposed to have black hair and dark brown eyes! Your photos are like mine though - very similar with or without make-up.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:12 PM

Opal - Wow! Awesome collection! In the first photo you look eerily like a good friend of mine. Nothing like her in other photos.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:16 PM

My turn. Before.
And after rock climbing.
Including a conceited (and slightly drunk, I think) self-portrait in the bathroom mirror, heh.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalCat View Post
I have kind of a lot of these...

haven't gotten out of bed yet
I love this one! I think it makes you look beautiful
Old 01-31-2009, 07:34 PM

As a toddler
With full makeup
With no makeup, wet hair, and glasses. Yikes!
Cross-dressing
Old 01-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reply View Post
I love this one! I think it makes you look beautiful
Aw, thank you! That photo (mainly the hair) was actually the inspiration for this painting of mine: Being Art
Old 01-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

These link to the same photo
Old 01-31-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalCat View Post
These link to the same photo
Doh!

Here's without makeup, I hope.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherGeek View Post
waitasecond! I missed the thread! Icanhaslinkplz?
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=502923
Old 01-31-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
NinetyWt - I can't get that link open, much to my disappointment (30 pics is a feast).
Hmm. Try opening just one (HS photo).

There's only 19 pics in the album, not 30.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett67 View Post
I was thinking more like "county-level politician".
Old 01-31-2009, 10:23 PM

Hmm, 30 years, 30 photos ... someone needs a little help with their reading comprehension, and it isn't the other posters in this thread.

One pic worked fine NinetyWt - I take it that was a "before." I don't know how old you are, but the glasses, clothing and hairstyle look very similar to my era - I graduated in 1976.

Pyper, your "supernerd" picture is actually really cute, I think ... okay, you don't look like a supermodel in that shot, but you look like someone I'd want to know - smart and funny.

Speaking of glasses, mine are really thick so I generally stick with contact lenses. I'll post again in a little while with a picture of me wearing them.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My son is 13. These photos look decades apart!
Old 01-31-2009, 10:48 PM

Ah, here we go: me wearing glasses. That makes for a much more dramatic contrast in my case. As you can imagine, I wear contact lenses most of the time.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:21 PM

This is me without makeup. It was taken four years ago.

This is me with makeup, taken last month. I had fallen asleep at the foot of the bed, though, hence the somewhat goofy look on my face. I think my husband caught me in the middle of saying, "What?" He had brought my son in to wake me up.

I haven't found a digital pic of me in full spackle - I think I have them all hard copy and I'm far too lazy to scan them.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Ha! CairoCarol, I can't see any difference in your pictures. You ladies got nothing. Now this is scary: before and after the passage of 4 decades.
Me at age 13.
Me at age 53.
13? Really? You look like a full grown man. I guess you were the guy in school who bought the booze for your underaged friends.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:41 PM

No makeup (I actually just washed my face)
Seven minutes later
If I'm going out, I put a little more emphasis on the eyes, but this is my normal makeup.

It's really weird to stare at yourself closely for longer than a minute.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reply View Post
My turn. Before.
And after rock climbing.
Including a conceited (and slightly drunk, I think) self-portrait in the bathroom mirror, heh.
Wow, nice job, Reply! You look great. How much weight did you lose?
Old 02-01-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKilez
If anything, the one without makeup has a slight edge. You have a natural beauty.
Seconded. (Talking about CairoCarol.)

Reply, I had no idea you could lose weight rock climbing. I thought you had to be fit first.

How much money did you have to sink into the sport? I may start getting into it now!

Hostile Dialect,
Hostile Dialect, Narcissist
Old 02-01-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Ah, here we go: me wearing glasses. That makes for a much more dramatic contrast in my case. As you can imagine, I wear contact lenses most of the time.
At the risk of sounding weird, glasses or not, you have fabulous eyes.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Pyper, your "supernerd" picture is actually really cute, I think ... okay, you don't look like a supermodel in that shot, but you look like someone I'd want to know - smart and funny.
Seconded Stole the words right out of my mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract View Post
Wow, nice job, Reply! You look great. How much weight did you lose?
Thank you. That means a lot, actually. I went from 250 to 160 but that was when I was in hardcore self-hatred mode. Now I'm back to 180 or so, but I've also mellowed out a lot in the process... I'm still going to try and get it down eventually to 150 or so for a healthier body fat ratio, but hopefully not at the expense of my sanity this time. Slow and steady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile Dialect View Post
Reply, I had no idea you could lose weight rock climbing. I thought you had to be fit first.

How much money did you have to sink into the sport? I may start getting into it now!

Hostile Dialect,
I don't want to hijack this thread so I won't go into TOO much detail here; I'll say a bit and if you have more questions or whatnot, please feel free to PM me

I didn't just climb; it was a complete lifestyle change from a totally sedentary one to one with proper nutrition (NOT a "diet", but healthy, sustainable lifelong eating habits) combined with climbing, swimming, jogging, martial arts and weight training. It took a beautiful girl, one too many rejections, and a long, hard look in the mirror, but I went all out and it was the second-best thing I ever did with my life.

While it IS possible to lose weight climbing -- doing ANY sort of exercise with sufficient duration and intensity will cause muscle gain and/or fat loss -- I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as a starting point if you're very overweight, if only because it's going to be, as you suspected, that much harder. I would imagine there's a break-off point (in terms of body weight) where the difficulty and frustration factor of being unable to pull yourself up more than a few feet will outweigh the enjoyment the sport can give.

That said, it's definitely not impossible! I started climbing when I was about 200-220 ; keep in mind that I was so weak at the time I could not do a single (not even one) push-up or pull-up and couldn't even run a mile. I also got a friend who weighed 300-400 lbs (she wouldn't say) into the sport; she'd only have the energy to do it once or twice a month, but at least it got her motivated and gave her something to really look forward to someday.

But that's the thing! More than just weight loss or muscle gain (there was both, to be sure), it was the sheer passion of it -- I fell in love with the sport, with the fear and the conquest thereof, the adrenaline, the internal growth, the rugged scenery, the people, the feeling of achievement, etc., etc. that it motivated me to do everything else just so I could get better. I'm still not very good, but climbing has already irrevocably changed my life for the better. It took me a year or two before I felt comfortable self-identifying as a climber, but now it's one of the things I'm most proud of in life.

And it doesn't have to be an expensive sport at all. For the first year or so, I only spent about $150 on a starter package (shoes, harness, chalk, carabiner) and that's enough for many types of climbing. My 24 Hour Fitness happened to have an included rock wall, as does my current university, but independent gyms generally run about $30-$50 a month, and of course outdoor climbing is generally free.

Anyway. That's enough, lol; if you let me, I'll rave about it for pages PM me if you want more info.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:25 AM

Wow! I'll keep that in mind. I'm somewhere around 220-230 (depending on which scale you ask and which week it is) and I could pump out a halfway-respectable pushup set. I'm 6'0", so if you're shorter (it sounds like you are if you're shooting for 150), I'm probably at a closer starting point than you are.

That said, I don't have $150 period and don't have a job, so I don't see that happening.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
That's 13?
Well, I was almost 14. I'd kind of forgotten about my appearance back then, but an explanation: I had smashed up my face several months before the photo was taken. Broken teeth, broken nose, abrasions, contusions, stitches, yada yada yada. I actually had people who knew me scream and run away (literally! - it still makes me laugh when I remember Laura running down the hall at school) when they saw me the first time after the incident. I'd healed to the point where I don't think anything really shows in the photo, but I look older in the picture than I would look in my driver's license photo at 16. My upper incisors in the photo were caps Mom made me wear for the picture; I hated the way they felt and they only lasted a few months. Any scars that remain are lost in my wrinkles now.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile Dialect View Post
Wow! I'll keep that in mind. I'm somewhere around 220-230 (depending on which scale you ask and which week it is) and I could pump out a halfway-respectable pushup set. I'm 6'0", so if you're shorter (it sounds like you are if you're shooting for 150), I'm probably at a closer starting point than you are.

That said, I don't have $150 period and don't have a job, so I don't see that happening.
I'm 5' 9". You'll be fine. The added height can be an advantage too Most gyms let you rent equipment for a day too, if you just want to give it a try. And I know you do. You know you do. I can smell the desire emanating from your hands all the way from up here.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:17 AM

I do. I just have no money. Really, between my out-of-state speeding ticket, textbooks next quarter, and saving up to study Spanish dialectology in Spain this summer, I can't spend a dime on anything that isn't:

1. food
2. one of the three things mentioned above
3. buckeyes

Hostile Dialect,
Old 02-01-2009, 05:05 AM

If you're a student, your school might have cheap/free climbing facilities. My school rents equipment (harness and shoes) for something like $3-$5 a day. It's more than a dime, but not much.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:20 AM

Laura before:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2enxk47.jpg

Laura after:

http://i39.tinypic.com/kbd1z6.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/xoqr7d.jpg

Much better, huh? This is fun.

CairoCarol, you look great in the "after" photo, but you seriously don't need makeup. You're a beautiful woman! Gorgeous skin! Maybe I'll do a before and after makeup today. I LOVE playing in eyeshadow.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:25 AM

Wow, there are a lot of really attractive Dopers! Do you think all the Dope makes people prettier?