Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Red Barchetta Red Barchetta is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 4,811
→ ← ↑ ↓ Is there a 'Diagonal Arrow' symbol for websites?

Are there diagonal arrow symbols that can be used in text documents/websites and the like? I found four standard here (→ ← ↑ ↓), but can't seem to find how to make diagonals?

Do these exist?
  #2  
Old 02-02-2009, 04:23 PM
panache45 panache45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 39,325
Are you on a Mac or a PC?
  #3  
Old 02-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Superfluous Parentheses Superfluous Parentheses is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Netherlands / Holland
Posts: 3,871
yes: ↖↗↘↙

those are the unicode 0x2196 NORTH WEST ARROW - 0x2199 SOUTH WEST ARROW characters. There are more variations if you need them. http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...ry/So/list.htm
  #4  
Old 02-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Red Barchetta Red Barchetta is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous Parentheses View Post
yes: ↖↗↘↙

those are the unicode 0x2196 NORTH WEST ARROW - 0x2199 SOUTH WEST ARROW characters. There are more variations if you need them. http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...ry/So/list.htm
Sweet! Thanks so much--I looked everywhere and couldn't find any that worked
  #5  
Old 02-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Terminus Est Terminus Est is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The tropics
Posts: 6,694
The specification for HTML 4.0 does not define standard character entities for the diagonal arrows although it's possible to show the characters using Unicode designations. Actual display of the characters, of course, depends on proper support in your application, OS, and font system.
  #6  
Old 02-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Red Barchetta Red Barchetta is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
The specification for HTML 4.0 does not define standard character entities for the diagonal arrows although it's possible to show the characters using Unicode designations. Actual display of the characters, of course, depends on proper support in your application, OS, and font system.
So does that mean the arrows Superfluous Parentheses posted may not appear for everyone?
  #7  
Old 02-02-2009, 04:44 PM
friedo friedo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 23,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
So does that mean the arrows Superfluous Parentheses posted may not appear for everyone?
Good luck getting anything with a codepoint higher than 127 to display for everyone.

They'll display for a lot of people, though, and more people in the future as non-compliant software is gradually replaced.
  #8  
Old 02-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Superfluous Parentheses Superfluous Parentheses is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Netherlands / Holland
Posts: 3,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
So does that mean the arrows Superfluous Parentheses posted may not appear for everyone?
For the web, provided you copy/paste those characters in a unicode document or use hex codes like ↙ and you use a standard font, they will probably work for everybody with relatively recent software. The main issue is the fonts, but any OS these days has fonts that include these basic symbols. I think. They should, anyway

For me, they work right here on Firefox 3 / Debian Linux, and they work for you too - otherwise you wouldn't be able to see them

Last edited by Superfluous Parentheses; 02-02-2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: screwed up hex code format
  #9  
Old 02-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Red Barchetta Red Barchetta is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous Parentheses View Post
For the web, provided you copy/paste those characters in a unicode document or use hex codes like ↙ and you use a standard font, they will probably work for everybody with relatively recent software. The main issue is the fonts, but any OS these days has fonts that include these basic symbols. I think. They should, anyway

For me, they work right here on Firefox 3 / Debian Linux, and they work for you too - otherwise you wouldn't be able to see them
Haha, indeed. Alright, thanks man--sounds like they'll work perfectly
  #10  
Old 02-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Terminus Est Terminus Est is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The tropics
Posts: 6,694
My system can display such symbols as CLOUD ☁, UMBRELLA ☂, and COMET ☄, but can't display WHEELCHAIR ♿, ANCHOR ⚓, or SCALES ⚖. The choice seems pretty random.
  #11  
Old 02-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Superfluous Parentheses Superfluous Parentheses is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Netherlands / Holland
Posts: 3,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
My system can display such symbols as CLOUD ☁, UMBRELLA ☂, and COMET ☄, but can't display WHEELCHAIR ♿, ANCHOR ⚓, or SCALES ⚖. The choice seems pretty random.
They all work fine for me.
  #12  
Old 02-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Q.E.D. Q.E.D. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 22,536
None of them work for me.
  #13  
Old 02-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Superfluous Parentheses Superfluous Parentheses is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Netherlands / Holland
Posts: 3,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q.E.D. View Post
None of them work for me.
Not even the diagonal arrows, or just the more esoteric characters below? What browser & OS are you using?

Last edited by Superfluous Parentheses; 02-02-2009 at 05:30 PM.
  #14  
Old 02-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 72,719
And not at all for me. Terminus Est's post just has polite little question marks where (I presume) those picture-characters belong, but Superfluous Parentheses' quote of it contains big white spaces in those spots, with the text overflowing the quote box. And when I select anything in the quote box, it produces a really weird scrolling effect in all of the text to the right of the selection.

Then again, I'm using an ancient browser (Mozilla 5.0, 2003). I really need to update this whole system, one of these times...

EDIT: I see all of the arrows just fine in the body of the page and on the window title bar, but they show up as whitespace in the tab title. It's only the little pictures that produce the weird effects.

Last edited by Chronos; 02-02-2009 at 05:37 PM.
  #15  
Old 02-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Q.E.D. Q.E.D. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 22,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous Parentheses View Post
Not even the diagonal arrows, or just the more esoteric characters below? What browser & OS are you using?
Oh, no, I just meant the ones posted by Terminus Est. The rest show up just fine.

Firefox 3 on WinXP Pro SP 2.
  #16  
Old 02-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Mops Mops is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,776
<plug class="shameless" /> for a site of mine.
  #17  
Old 02-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Cerowyn Cerowyn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: In a hole
Posts: 3,436
Every modern OS has fonts with Unicode support. Of course, some characters are only in newer versions of Unicode, and I'm sure there are some that have not been added at all.

If you are on a website that specifies utf-8 (Unicode encoding in 8 bits), you can use the full range. SDMB has ISO-8859-1, which is Western Europe, encoding set, so you will not be able to see all of the characters that are available. Chances are good, however, that if you manually change the encoding, you will be able to see those missing characters.

Frankly, I'm not sure why anyone uses a non-Unicode encoding any more. I believe that it is a superset of all of the other encodings by now (but I'm prepared to be proven wrong on that; it's been a while since I was dealing with the intricacies of Unicode).
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017