Can we have a ruling on spoilers?

The latest Office thread has devolved into a threeway pissing match over who does and who does not care about spoilers from the “Next time on…” commercials being posted unspoiler-boxed in episode threads.

Can we (finally) have an official ruling once and for all about what does and does not have to be spoilered relating to “Next time on…” commercials in TV threads?

Oh, and if it matters, I am personally in favor of the stuff found in “Next time on…” previews being spoiler boxed.

Not in favor. Aired material is aired material. It’s therefore not a spoiler.

Can you at least stop hijacking threads to bitch about people asking for spoiler boxes? Because the 50 post discussions that this questions spawns everytime it appears are worse than people who don’t care about using spoiler boxes.

You expressed your own opinion in this thread. How is me expressing mine a “hijack?”

But what about those of us over the pond?
We get your shows and films later than you - and (for example) US Doctor Who fans don’t want us revealing the plots…

No, in the actual episode threads themselves. If you want to fight with other people over your right to use spoiler boxes, can you at least take it to the Pit? Some of us reading a 95 post Office thread would prefer that 50-60 of those posts weren’t a part of The Dio Show.

I’ve asked the mods and we’ll let you know if we have anything to say here.

Meanwhile, stop sniping at each other. The original Office thread was derailed pretty badly by this argument. One hijacked thread is enough. Any personal grievances on this subject should be worked out in the Pit.

Forget it.

The mods discussed this a little and I don’t want to cut the discussion short, but I think the rules already cover this.

Quoting from the rules on spoilers:

That should apply to “next week” previews as well as what aired in the body of the show.

But we’re talking about threads that are already intended for open spoiler discussion.

Also, there are no major plot reveals in commercials, so how does that fall under the rule?

ETA, I’m not arguing here, I’m asking for clarification. If a thread already has an open spoiler warning in the title, shouldn’t that include promos as well?

I think we have to go with the majority here. I live in the UK too, but some US shows don’t air here until maybe 3 months, 6 months, a year later, maybe never. You can’t sensibly bar discussion, by the time it could be talked about US dopers would have forgotten what the show was about!

While we’re on the subject, once I made a thread where the title described what will happen in a show, based upon how the show was described in the TVGuide-type listing. Some thought this was a spoiler, although it gave no more info than the listing did.

I think this would NOT be a spoiler. Can I get an official mod pronouncement on this?

Sorry, just realized that post doesn’t make much sense, nobody’s trying to ‘bar discussion’, substitute ‘you can’t sensibly demand spoiler warnings’.

:smack:

And please note that this goes in reverse, too. A large number of US viewers would be upset if the Brits revealed the endings of DR WHO episodes that won’t be shown in the US for many months.

The other thing is, even in the country of origin, not everyone watches a show just because it’s aired. Many people tape or TiVo or DVR or whatever the verb is, to watch weeks later. And, finally, regardless of how long a work has been published, there are still people who don’t want it spoiled (think of Agatha Christie, for example.)

The coming attractions often reveal major plot elements. My son never watched the “coming next week” for BUFFY for instance, because there was way too much revealed for his taste. So, yes, it’s pretty clear that coming attractions should be spoiler-alerted. This is a matter of being considerate to fellow posters, and while it’s a “guide” for the boards in general, it’s a “rule” for Cafe Society.

Diogenes, you are dead wrong ion every count. First, in saying that “aired material is aired material,” you’re missing the point for the reasons I’ve just mentioned. And the title of the thread did not say, “Open spoilers,” so you’re wrong about that too. Even if it did, the thread is about episode #23 and the spoiler is the coming attraction for episode #24, so a warning of “Open Spoilers” in the title “Episode 23” doesn’t help. And finally, you’re wrong about coming attractions not revealing major plot elements. Cheeze, I’ve seen coming attractions in theatres for movies to be released where I come away thinking I don’t need to see the movie, they’ve put everything in the trailer.

Civil and courteous discussion about rules and guidelines happens in ATBM. Flaming of people who violate the rules or guidelines happens in the Pit.

I was once criticized for mentioning the winner of the WSOP about a month after the event because it hadn’t been on US TV yet. I now spoiler box everything, including any classic movie more than a few years old. Dopers aren’t as smart as we would like to believe.

We actually have to spoiler box commercials now? For real? We can’t talk about movie trailers either? This is the rule now? Seriously?

[INDENT]It gets locked.[/INDENT]

If someone is avoiding spoilers of a movie so completely that they don’t even want to see the trailer, they would stay out of a thread devoted to that movie.

Unless you are posting in a thread that has “Open spoilers” in the title, the fairest thing to do is to box those so people can avoid them if they want to.

They can also stay out of an openly spoilered discussion thread of a TV episode when promos for next wek are aired as part of he episode. After all, it’s reasonable to expect that if somebody watched the episode, they saw the commercials aired during that episode.