Battlestar Galactica 4.20 - "Islanded in a Stream of Stars" (spoilers)

Spoiler policy: If you want to discuss a plot point from an upcoming episode, something you know is going to happen because it’s been revealed in interviews or some other canon source, including the preview for the following week, put it in a spoiler box, and label the box so we can decide for ourselves whether or not it’s something we want to know (example here). If you’re simply speculating about what might happen in an upcoming episode, or if you’re discussing something that has already aired in the episode (not including the preview), there’s no need for a spoiler box.

This week’s episode title: “Islanded in a Sea of Stars.” Written by Michael Taylor; directed by Edward James Olmos. The three episodes previously directed by Olmos have been heavy on character (“Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down,” “Taking a Break from All Your Worries,” and “Escape Velocity”), with emphasis on opportunities for the actors to shine. Note Roslin tearing Baltar a new asshole in “Taking a Break,” for example.

Regarding episode numbering, see comment here. Note also that on the scifi/battlestar site, this is officially episode 420, despite what’s found on other sites.

Sci-Fi’s preview for the episode. Re the alternate preview from Canada’s Space network, which is often interestingly different from the Sci-Fi version, I spent a bunch of time on YouTube and Google Video, but couldn’t find it. Looks like it’s on the Space network’s website but viewing is limited to Canadian users.

Links to previous threads:

4.13 - “Sometimes a Great Notion” (in which the discovery of the ruined Earth has serious repercussions for the fleet, and various people melt down and give up: Roslin burns her scriptures, Adama begs Tigh to kill him, and Dee shoots herself, among others; the Penultimate Four experience flashbacks while on Earth, and realize that they lived there two millennia ago; Starbuck finds her own corpse in the wreckage of her viper, and Leoben wigs out; and Ellen Tigh is revealed as the Final Cylon)

4.14 - “A Disquiet Follows My Soul” (in which Adama presses the fleet to tolerate the Cylons and adopt their technology, causing resentment to grow in the fleet, including among Colonial officers, chiefly Gaeta, who begins plotting resistance efforts with Zarek, while Baltar stokes negativity of his own; Tyrol discovers he’s not the father of his child; and Roslin finally joins Adama in his bunk)

4.15 - “The Oath” (in which mutiny explodes, led by Zarek and Gaeta; all known Cylons on Galactica, except Tyrol, are confined in the brig; and Tyrol helps Roslin and Baltar flee the battlestar, with the assistance of Adama and Tigh, who have escaped their own captors, and who choose to stay behind to defend their ship)

4.16 - “Blood on the Scales” (in which the mutineers target Adama for execution; Roslin and Baltar escape to the basestar; Zarek has the Quorum liquidated; Adama, aided by Starbuck, Apollo, and Tyrol, retakes his ship, though Anders is badly injured; and Zarek and Gaeta eat a firing squad’s bullets for their crimes)

4.17 - “No Exit” (in which Cavil secretly resurrects final-Cylon Ellen Tigh, and Anders unexpectedly begins recovering final-five memories due to his brain injury, both of which storylines result in a metric frakload of backstory being shoveled into the audience’s lap; in other developments: Roslin recruits Lee to help her hold together the remaining tatters of government; Boomer spirits Ellen off Cavil’s basestar; and Tyrol convinces Adm. Adama to allow a Cylon-tech fix to Galactica’s overstressed frame)

4.18 - “Deadlock” (in which final cylon Ellen Tigh returns to the fleet, and has a jealous freakout over Saul-and-Caprica’s pending pop tart, which drives her to cast the tiebreaking cylon vote in favor of a cylon withdrawal; Adama is losing control of his own ship due to an implied shortage of Marines; Baltar pushes his cult to stand up to local thugs, who are operating with impunity because of the aforementioned shortage, and who laugh at the cult’s effort to resist; Adama stares at his ship’s skeleton a lot, before deciding to arm Baltar’s cult; Caprica Six suffers a miscarriage; and Anders might be waking up)

4.19 - “Someone to Watch Over Me” (in which Adama is told that despite ongoing repairs Galactica’s days are numbered; Starbuck and Hera are found to be somehow linked to the ambiguously ancient song that activated the Penultimate Four; Tyrol, knowing Boomer could be executed by angry Cylons without objection from equally angry humans, allows himself to be manipulated into staging her escape from the brig, not knowing she is kidnapping Hera and taking her back to Cavil; and in the aftermath, Galactica is left wounded by Boomer’s too-close jump, and Roslin collapses)

Side note: This was a point of debate during last week’s thread, so just for the record, the official episode recap on the Sci-Fi site says that the unnamed Eight clocked by Tyrol to stand in for Boomer in the brig was knocked unconscious, not killed. This may or may not turn out to be significant, but I thought it warranted at least a brief mention.

This episode is a regular one-hour episode, yes?

Yes. This week and next week should be one hour installments, with next week being the first part of a two part finale, in which the second half of the two parter is the two-hour conclusion.

If you’d like, I can try to explain that in a way that’s even more confusing. :stuck_out_tongue:

This episode’s title… annoys me, in an inspecific yet grognardly way.

Does it help that it is supposed to be “Stream of Stars” instead of “Sea”?

No. It’s the verbing of nouns that’s awkward. And the similarity to “Islands in the Stream” by Dolly Parton/Kenny Rogers/Bee Gees.

The key term would seem to be “landed”, wouldn’t it?

Considering the way the last episode ended, I’m expecting a wild ride tonight.

Still predicting that Tyrol is gonna kill himself after realizing what he’s done. Can’t really see him being able to live with it.

Maybe this week will feature more 'splody stuff, less talk.

Does this episode’s title make anyone else think of S.M. Stirling’s Nantucket trilogy?

I would like to announce that Six had a nasty Fi accident on Burn Notice last night.

Okay … go ahead.

Well, foo.

With Almos directing, I expect lots of acting. Not that that is always bad, but I don’t think we’re at the space battle part yet.

To whichever mod corrected my title… thanks.

What a strange name! It makes me wonder if this week the Galactica is going to finally break down for good, essentially becoming nothing more than an island in space.

I predict that this one is going to be a very good episode that is going to end with a bang!

Somehow, you’ve uncovered the disquiet that had followed my soul.

hrm. Corner Case may have put a chip in my head…

Aha. Taken from elsewhere:

The title comes from the book The Outermost House, by Henry Beston, where he chronicles his time spent living on an isolated beach in Cape Cod. In the chapter “Night on the Great Beach” he wrote, “For a moment of night we have a glimpse of ourselves and of our world islanded in its stream of stars— pilgrims of mortality, voyaging between horizons across eternal seas of space and time.”

Well. Clears that right up, it does.

They’ve obviously been saving their money. I think the most they’ve spent on one effect for the second half of the season has been the set extensions for the giant spinning FTL ball. We got a nice long look at the thing, which covered most of the screen. Beaucoup bucks for sure. Other than that, they’ve been stingy and saving, so big expensive effects are obviously coming.

Maybe not splody stuff exclusively, though. I think the Centurions will be key to the plot coming up. They’ve been too costly to show consistently, but as it turns out, a huge chunk of the plot for both Earth and the Colonies revolves around them. It’s about time they had their screen time in a nice, long, extended way.

Ahem. Six had a nasty Fiona Accident last night in Burn Notice.
Thank you.
:rolleyes:

Man, I bet that hurts.