Battlestar Galactica 4.14 - "A Disquiet Follows My Soul" (spoilers ahoy)

Spoiler policy: If you want to discuss a plot point from an upcoming episode, something you know is going to happen because it’s been revealed in interviews or some other canon source, put it in a spoiler box, and label the box so we can decide for ourselves whether or not it’s something we want to know (e.g. “known fact regarding the fate of Hera”). If it has already been aired, or if you’re simply speculating about what might happen in an upcoming episode, there’s no need for a spoiler box.

Preview for this week’s episode.

Regarding episode numbering, see comment here. Note also that in the link to the preview above, and on the official scifi/battlestar site, this is officially episode 414, despite what’s found on other sites.

Links to previous threads, for anyone who wants to review:

4.8 - “Faith” (in which Starbuck’s crew finds the wounded basestar, and Roslin deteriorates in Galactica’s sickbay)

4.9 - “Guess What’s Coming to Dinner” (in which Starbuck’s crew returns with the basestar; Gaeta sings about his missing leg; the Cylons propose destroying the Resurrection Hub, and then immediately begin scheming to betray humanity while the humans do the same; Athena murders the Six Natalie; and Roslin gets “kidnapped” when the hybrid panics and jumps)

4.10 - “Sine Qua Non” (in which the disappearance of Roslin prompts a search for a replacement President, and erratic behavior from Adama; Cottle reveals that Tigh has impregnated Caprica Six during his “interrogations”; Lee is chosen and sworn in as interim President; Adama relinquishes command to search for Roslin; and the character of Romo Lampkin is made considerably less interesting)

4.11 - “The Hub” (in which Roslin’s isolated basestar crew, human and Cylon together, cooperate to destroy the Hub without the help of the fleet)

4.12 - “Revelations” (in which a mutually-assured-destruction standoff is resolved when Lee abruptly finds a compromise to achieve a tentative peace, and human and Cylon gaily traipse off to the now-known location of Earth, only to find it was turned into a radioactive cinder long ago)

4.13 - “Sometimes a Great Notion” (In which the discovery of the ruined Earth has serious repercussions for the fleet, and various people melt down and give up: Roslin burns her scriptures, Adama begs Tigh to kill him, and Dee shoots herself, among others. Also, the Penultimate Four experience flashbacks while on Earth, and realize that they lived there two millennia ago. Starbuck finds her own corpse in the wreckage of her viper, and Leoben wigs out. And Ellen Tigh is revealed as the Final Cylon.)

And here we go…

This episode marks Ron Moore’s directorial debut. So that’s interesting.

I’d love to talk about what I expect, but I don’t know what to expect.

Definitely interesting. That tidbit had escaped me.

I sure as hell hope we find out this ep what Gaeta’s up to.

After AndyPolley’s comment, I looked around a bit for the writer/director credits on upcoming episodes, and discovered the following information.

For the record, the only details contained in this spoiler box are the episode titles (and numbers), the writer(s) of each, and the director. Oh, and there’s a bit of non-spoiler discussion of one of the director’s names. I figure this is extremely minor stuff, but it’s very slightly possible that there’s somebody out there who would regard even the titles as spoilery, so better safe than sorry.

Incidentally, all of this is officially confirmed.

[spoiler]Last week’s installment:

4.13: Sometimes a Great Notion
Written by David Weddle & Bradley Thompson
Directed by Michael Nankin

Tonight:

4.14: A Disquiet Follows My Soul
Written by Ronald D. Moore
Directed by Ronald D. Moore

Subsequent weeks:

4.15: The Oath
Written by Mark Verheiden
Directed by John Dahl

4.16: Blood on the Scales
Written by Michael Angeli
Directed by Wayne Rose

4.17: No Exit
Written by Ryan Mottesheard
Directed by Gwyneth Horder-Payton

4.18: Deadlock
Written by Jane Espenson
Directed by Bob Young

4.19: Someone to Watch Over Me
Written by David Weddle & Bradley Thompson
Directed by Michael Nankin
(Note: The same writer/director combo as last week’s episode, which bodes well, I think; in addition, many cast members have said that Nankin is their favorite director.)

4.20: Islanded In A Stream Of Stars
Written by Michael Taylor
Directed by Edward James Olmos

4.21: Daybreak (part 1)
4.22: Daybreak (part 2)
4.23: Daybreak (part 3)
Written by Ronald D. Moore
Directed by Michael Rymer
(Rymer is the director of the miniseries, and the go-to guy for many of the “big” episodes; no surprise they’d turn to him for the finale)

Re episode 4.15, “The Oath,” you may recognize the name of the director. “John Dahl?” you ask. “Last Seduction John Dahl? Red Rock West? Joyride? Rounders? That John Dahl?” Yes, that John Dahl. Quite an interesting “get” for the show, if you’re a film geek like me.[/spoiler]

Sadly, I’ll miss this episode because it’s my gaming night. I look forward to spoilers after the show.

It’s also the first episode filmed after the WGA strike. If I’m getting the timeline right it’ll also take place after the Face of the Enemy webisode series, but since the webisodes were filmed after the series finale it’s doubtful they’re be referenced in any episodes. Which is a shame since we probally won’t see anything more of Gaeta & Hoshi, but Kara & Lee will probally get to frak at least once more:rolleyes:.

Apparently there actually IS a homosexual agenda!

-Joe

Wow, little Nicky isn’t a Cylon-Human hybrid after all. :eek:

Tyrol got some bad news. :eek:

Bit of a slow episode so far. I guess it’s O.K.

I guess I’m pretty much over this series. I’m just riding it down now.

Go, Mr. Vice-President!

Whether or not the Cylon alliance is a good idea, the Admiral has absolutely no right to impose it in the guise of “military” drive upgrades. Roslin has clearly abdicated her role, and Zarek is exercising the function that he was elected to carry out - the protection of the Colonial constitution. Good for him.

Er - sorry. I think I may get into this show a bit much.

Heh, a reference to “Black Market”.

Poor Zarek and Gaeta have got some serious genre blinders going on – that trick worked with Apollo and Roslyn; won’t work for second-tier characters, particularly a second time around. Tsk. And I used to like Gaeta.

Poor Hoshi.

Hilarious that Adama was able to bluff Tom Zarek into giving up the position of the tillium ship. Laundry list indeed. Any pretensions Zarek has of being some noble martyr to a cause is a farce. He’s a corrupt power-monger who’s going to use anti-Cylon sentiment to promulgate his agenda, which is and always has been Tom Zarek.

Also, I’ve always said it, but now I’m sure (though I know people are going to disagree with me, but I’m not going to change my mind, since I’ve felt like this since the beginning): Felix Gaeta is a complete ass. He learned exactly the wrong things from his experience in Face of the Enemy. Look in the mirror, Felix, if you want to see who can’t be trusted, who’s a collaborator. His taunting of Kara was ridiculous because she was right about him. He should have been airlocked back then, after New Caprica. He’s not above committing mutiny, not once but twice. And why? Because he was “fooled” by a duplicitious Cylon when he should have known better, and when he was complicit in it. He’d rather tear the whole fleet apart than face his own shortcomings. Can’t wait until his reckoning comes.

Nice final shot of Adama and Roslin in bed. It’s about time.

Two questions:

1. Did Tigh tell about Ellen being the final Cylon? Lee seemed to know, as well as Adama and Zarek.
  2. Tigh and the Six are awful lovey-dovey. Are they together now?

I must have missed it. What was the reference?

I’m a bit meh on this episode. The pacing was off to me.

I don’t know if we were supposed to pick up on Adama repeatedly picking up trash around the ship or not, and it always seemed like the main camera was off by a few seconds. Like when Adama left the President in her quarters, and things left unsaid behind the door after Kara left Gimpy in the room full of pilots.

I do like that we didn’t pick up right where the last episode left off, though they never acknowledged whether it was Ellen or Kara as the last Cylon, and that may be a factor in the future.

And I totally agree with you Ruby, Gaeta is an ass.

Judging from Lee’s little slip up I think it’s safe to assume that Tigh told Adama & the inner circle about his vision of Ellen.

At the very end of “Black Market”, Zarek moves in on taking control of the black market, since Lee has just blown away the previous kingpin.

Thus setting him up to be bluff-blackmailed by Adama in this episode, since he really is a corrupt politician who is probably selling the office of VP.

Here’s the thing, though: the fact that’s he’s corrupt doesn’t mean that he’s wrong on the big policy issues facing the fleet. I mean, how can anyone deny that the Admiral genuinely is imposing the Cylon alliance on the fleet? And that this really is a profound betrayal of the Colonial democratic institutions?

Zarek may be a bad man, and a corrupt one - but he genuinely seems to care about maintaining democracy in the Fleet. And I’d point out that, in the American presidency, thoroughly terrible human beings have managed to accomplish some extraordinary things. Nixon, for example, greatly reduced the danger of nuclear war with the USSR through detente. He also solidified the Sino-Soviet split by beginning the process of normalization with the PRC.

Zarek may be the Fleet’s Nixon - but Roslin has become its Harding.