Ask the...well, me!

I’ve always wanted to do an ‘ask the…’ thread, but I don’t think I really have any particular area of expertise that would interest anybody.

Anyways, a few details;

I’m a young 'un (around the dope anyway) - I’m only 19.
I’m a Britdoper.
University Student, studying psychology (2nd year now).
I’m a Black belt in Taekwon Do.
I’m a waiter, and have been for nearly 4 years.
Use a reasonable amount of recreational drugs, mostly dope.
Smoke and drink, regularly and rather heavily.
Atheist/agnostic.
Completely uninterested in politics.

So, if there’s anything under those categories you’d like to know about, ask!

If not, I suppose this thread will probably die rather quickly…

Hmm, I have a few questions…

What’s it like living in Britain?

Ever gotten into a street-fight situation, and did the black belt help?

Why are you on the Dope (the board, not the herb)?

Why aren’t you in interested in politics? (I’d had thought it’be rather important, and that psych would’ve given you some insight?)

It’s OK, I suppose, though with no knowledge of living anywhere else I can’t really comment to that much of an extent. I do like the ‘friendly’ feel of North England - when I’ve been on holiday/vacation (I’ve been to a fair few countries) there seems to be far less chance of just randomly talking to someone in a queue or at the bus stop etc.

I’ve been in a few fights, mostly when back in school.
Has it helped? Yes and no, in that in sparring with a 16 stone, 6 foot tall man on a regular basis when you’re only 13 years old, it does teach you to take a hit and recover from it, which is useful. There’s also things like reading body language and the like, that’s helpful.
But when I first started TKD, and got into a fight, and tried to do kicks to the head etc, then no, it didnt help, just filled my head with ideas above my ability and I got beat quick.

I like the feel of a board that is dedicated more towards intellectualism, and it’s a nice break to be around people talking (writing?) about interesting things, rather than which is better, xbox 360 VS PS3.

To me, politics seems like a no contest. It’s irrelevant whatever party is in power because overall, there won’t be that much of a difference.
When I vote next time, it’ll be for whatever party does the best job in the local area, not the party that would be better for the country overall.
Taking any interest higher than that seems pointless to me.

What do you like to watch on TV?

Your profile reminds me of the protagonist in The Who’s Quadrophenia: Jimmy Cooper, in that you appear to be a disassociated youth.

Don’t panic. A lot of us here were also disassociated youths.

Word of advice: give up the smokes while you’re young, like I did. You’ll appreciate it immensely when you’re an old fart (47) like me.

Politics does matter. As you get older your own beliefs will start to formulate and you’ll see that there really is a difference in party philosophies. I used to think the same thing as you, but trust me on this, parties do in fact have philosophical differences.

I’m an atheist too, but totally respect other peoples beliefs.

So here’s my question: Where do you see yourself in 10 years, and how do you get there?

Heylo :slight_smile:

I am a young Britdoper, and have done a psychology degree (graduated in 07 from Cardiff) so I guess I’m drawn to that…
Are you enjoying the degree overall?
Why did you choose Psychology?
Which uni are you at (i understand if you don’t want to give that away on here!)?
Do you have any plans for after uni?
Did you take a gap year? If so what did you do?
Which bits of the course do you hate and which modules/aspects of the degree do you enjoy the most?

If you want any tips let me know! :wink:

Quiz-coms, mostly. QI is my favourite, I like Mock the week and 8 of 10 cats too. Anything with comedians in really, I love stand up.

Hmmm, I guess I am kind of disassociated, given that now I’ve moved out from under parental expectations and have few responsibilities of my own, I’m still trying to find my place in life, but I don’t have much pushing me in any particular direction, at this moment in time.

I’ll be quitting this October, latest. I’ve promised my girl friend to quit on her birthday, if I don’t quit before. Hopefully I’ll be able to afford to join a gym this summer, and that will kind of push me into quitting earlier.

Later in life, when I’m paying taxes and have kids educations and welfare to keep in mind, I suppose I probably will take an active interest. I just really care at the moment.

In 10 years time? Hopefully I’ll be teaching psychology at a reasonably good college or 6th form, I’ll have my own house with my girlfriend, maybe even my wife by then.
I don’t think kids will be an option until my early 30’s, so that might just be over the horizon.
How will i get there? Keep on working hard at University, and doing what I love. I know if i want to do it, and work hard enough, I can.
Teaching is an area relatively unaffected by the economic ‘crisis’, so it should be pretty much straight forward finding a job once I’ve finished my degree and then my teacher training.

I’m not saying it is going to be difficult but lots of my friends went on to do PGCE’s after our degree and have still not found a job in teaching. Although teaching hasn’t been directly affected so many people are applying for teaching posts because they can’t find work elsewhere. I think it can be just as hard as anything else.

Really? What subjects do they teach?

Do you want to travel and where you would you like to go? Would you like to come to America for a visit? Or would you rather head out to your “backyard”–Europe? Or is it Asia that fascinates?
Did you study French or Spanish or ____ in school? Why psychology–do you want to be a therapist of some sort?
Do you like soccer (football) and do you turn into a hooligan when you attend such events? (I had to get a youth today! type question in there).

Enjoying thread so far?

Ever think about taking a real martial art?

Mostly Psychology!
But I have a few friends who are now primary school teachers.
Ermm, one is a history teacher, one teaches classics, another sociology-but these three weren’t on my course. In general it took them all about a year to get their job. They worked as TA’s in the mean time.

I’m really enjoying the degree, apart from some parts of social psychology that I feel are pointless. I mean, does there really need to be research done into why people are gay or not, when there are things like autism that still haven’t been figured out properly?

I chose psychology at 6th form for my 4th choice - the one I’d drop, just because I thought it would be interesting. I loved it, and decided to take it further.
I’m at Huddersfield University, (I’m not the paranoid ‘terrorists will steal my identity if I leave the slightest detail on the internets!’ type).

Plans are - PGCE, then onto teaching (hopefully). I can do travelling in the 10 weeks paid holiday i get per year :slight_smile:

Nope, no gap year, and no plans for 1.

I like abnormal psychology, and videogame violence type studies the most, Developmental psychology sometimes bores me, and I’m not big on social psychology because I think the current focus of it is a bit frivolous.

I’d love to visit America, and definitely Asia. I’ve pretty much done Europe through my childhood, I’ve been to at least 8 countries, I think the only place of interest in Europe I’d like to go is Amsterdam.

I studied French for the first 3 years of secondary school (age 11 plus), with Spanish coming in on the second year, until the 4th year, where I dropped French and carried on with Spanish for my GCSE’s.

I want to be a teacher, and psychology is the subject that interests me the most.

I like playing football, and I’ll watch it when England are playing, but I don’t actively support a team or go to matches. And no, seeing as the last time I went to a match, I was about 8 and wasn’t a hooligan!

Thread’s ace, and I"ll assume you’re referring to trying MMA? Because I’ve done Jui Jitsu and Kobudo, and I can see no benefit in being good at a grappling or weapons art over a striking art.
I would like to try MMA, beacuse it’s all rounded, but being a good striker (and I know I am) is better than being a good grappler. At my the Jui Jitsu class I attended, whilst the blackbelts there were good at what they do, I doubt many of them could properly utilise anyhing they’d learnt in a real world situation.

I’m thinking about temp-ing for the first year or so, I doubt I could get straight into a school first off. One thing I’m hoping to do is get experience before and during my PGCE with my old psychology teacher, and see if that can open any doors.

Where would you teach psych? Our equivalent of HS (is that secondary school for you?) or uni level? Would you consider a stint in counseling or some type of behavioral medicine? Or parlay your degree into some type of corporate/advertising gig?

I think you’re male. correct? Would you like to meet a 19 year old American girl? My daughter’s not dating anyone at the moment…*

*It’s official. I have become THAT kind of mother. Gah.

I’d be teaching at 6th form or college, which comes after secondary/high school.
It’s ages 16-18, so maybe the later years of high school in the US?

I’m spoken for…sorry :stuck_out_tongue:

Who would win in a fight - Judge Dredd or Rogue Trooper?

I never read 2000AD comics, so no idea. In fact, I only really read comics for about a year when I was 7 or 8 or so, and that was only the Beano.

I wonder about your username whenever I see it. So I have to ask and you’d know this if it’s what I think it might be – do you need Mayo?

If you mean what I think you mean, then maybe I do. Do you mean Mayo in a General sense? :stuck_out_tongue: