Cleveland, OH ward numbers 1900-1930

My girlfriend is currently researching her family genealogy and in the census records she has viewed there are ward numbers for Cleveland areas. She is wondering whether there are extant maps that show the ward numbers as they were in the period 1900-1930 or whether anyone here knows to which area each number referred. The relevant numbers are 15, 17 and 26. Thanks.

I don’t know the answer to your question. But I can tell you that if there is anyone who knows, you could probably find them at the Western Reserve Historical Society.

Yes, I’d try the WRHS first. Failing that, the staff of the Cleveland City Council or the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections might be able to help:

You can find an online Plat Book of the City of Cleveland from 1921 by following this link.

The page and the viewer are a little slow, but once they open, if you click on the link 02IndexMap in the left-hand menu, it will show you an index map of the whole city, with ward numbers. You can then click through the rest of the book to find much more detailed maps.

There are a few others available for your general time period:

1922 Plat Book

1914 Plat Book

1896 Sanborn Insurance Map

Thanks for your replies everyone, especially mhendo that’s exactly the information we were looking for.