The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 07-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

High School and Your "Permanent Record"

More than once in high school I was reminded that some misdeed would go on my "permanent record." However, as an adult I have never once been made to account for something I did in high school. My offenses were not minor (suspended on more than one occasion), but they were not criminal either, so that might have made a difference. Nevertheless, I got accepted to every college I applied to, managed to graduate, and have had a decent career, my high school pecadillos notwithstanding.

Do schools in the US maintain "permanent records" of their students' actions, or is this just an empty threat made by teachers to keep kids in line? And if so, do these records actually mean anything, or are they just pages in a file cabinet?
Advertisements  
Old 07-07-2009, 12:20 PM

Did you really think your permanent record would have an effect on your life post-school?

In cases where the student is college-bound, yes, it could have an effect on college admissions. And, when you're very young, you might think there would be repercussions later in that unknown territory of high school. It could in some rare cases where honors or election to societies was involved. For example, when a student was up for National Honor Society when I was in school, a single faculty member could black-ball him/her. So, yes, if you had something nasty in your record, I could see that being relevant. Other than us high-achievers, though ... no one I knew had any great fear of "the permanent record" after about the 6th grade.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:51 PM
BANNED

Doesn't the Book of Revelations have a permenent record of sort? It might be another book, but God has written down all your bad and good deeds and then looks them over?
Old 07-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
Doesn't the Book of Revelations have a permenent record of sort? It might be another book, but God has written down all your bad and good deeds and then looks them over?
I'm picturing a Far Side-esque scene at the pearly gates, where St. Peter has HeyHomie's permanent record in hand and is saying, "Now, about this stuff you did in high school..."
Old 07-07-2009, 12:59 PM

You don't think the permanent record means anything?? Try running for president.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:06 PM

Some of that stuff on your permanent record could have you sent to Monster Island. (But don't worry, it's just a name.)
Old 07-07-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
You don't think the permanent record means anything?? Try running for president.
Does an individual high school retain "permanent records" from it's students that graduated 30-40 years ago? If they did, are they even authorized to release them?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:43 PM

I hope you know that this OP will go down on your permanent record...

Oh yeah? Well, don't get so distressed.

Did I happen to mention that I'm impressed?
Old 07-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamatoTwinkie View Post
Does an individual high school retain "permanent records" from it's students that graduated 30-40 years ago? If they did, are they even authorized to release them?
We have files on every student who has ever attended the school at which I teach. They can be released only under very specific conditions, to very specific people/agencies.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

I was evaluating document scanners a few years ago. The company I was speaking with sold scanners as well as providing scanning services. They were scanning records from St. Louis University High School that were from the late 1800's. So in a way, there is a permanent record.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
We have files on every student who has ever attended the school at which I teach. They can be released only under very specific conditions, to very specific people/agencies.
Can you give some examples? I went through HS pretty much unnoticed, but I can't imagine anything I did in HS still being relevant to anyone.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
What's in them? My parents got transcripts from their high school for some reason when I was a teenager (at least 30 years after they had graduated from high school). I just remember them being transcripts, though, not anything about behavior. I remember my dad's had a space for IQ, but nobody had written his down in it.

Do you really keep records of students getting into trouble for behaving badly (as I always assumed you did when I was in school), and are those saved after a student graduates?

If you do keep records like that, how serious does the infraction have to be to get into that record? I imagine there isn't a record of every time a teacher told a student to be quiet in class, but do you have a record of, say, every time a kid has been sent to the principal's office?
Old 07-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Most colleges, as far as I can tell, request a transcript from the high school, and most high schools send a transcript listing the courses you took and what grades you got in them, along with officially sanctioned extracurricular activities, and possibly prizes, awards, and placement test scores. Disciplinary records are not generally part of the transcript, although policies differ on suspension/expulsion. In some states it's illegal to report these things; some colleges ask directly whether an applicant has ever been expelled or suspended.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:42 PM

I read not too long ago about my old school district's policy: it all goes away after a surprisingly short period of time. Something on the order of 5 years. After that, all they have is if you attended/graduated. Such records are considered a potential liability if they get copied or are found incorrect.

Permanent, shermanent.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I was left alone in a guidance counselor's office while a I was a senior and had a chance to peruse my file. It had notes on behavior issues back to elementary school.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
I was left alone in a guidance counselor's office while a I was a senior and had a chance to peruse my file. It had notes on behavior issues back to elementary school.
I did the same thing. It had copies of report cards from elementary school, (same school district), copies of mazes I drew in Kindergarten where I had to stay in the middle of the maze lines (still don't know what that was about) and a copy of my Mr. Peanut award certificate from the 2nd grade <!>
Old 07-07-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Had you been in the same school district all that time? I moved from one county to another between fourth and fifth grade (both in Maryland, if it makes a difference). Would my new school district in fifth grade likely have gotten records from the old one?
Old 07-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Neville View Post
Had you been in the same school district all that time? I moved from one county to another between fourth and fifth grade (both in Maryland, if it makes a difference). Would my new school district in fifth grade likely have gotten records from the old one?
I had, yes. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't follow you from one school to another, though. Those folks have a pretty keen interest in knowing if a student has always been well-behaved until now or if they've always been a problem.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:12 PM

So could one request a copy of their own record? I got in a lot of trouble in middle school and high school and it would be pretty amusing having documentation to show for it.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailboy View Post
So could one request a copy of their own record? I got in a lot of trouble in middle school and high school and it would be pretty amusing having documentation to show for it.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 says you can at least see it, if your school got funding from the Department of Education. They don't have to provide you a copy, though.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:38 PM
BANNED

Is my personnel file "mine"?

deleted, meant to start new thread

Last edited by Dripping; 07-07-2009 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: oops meant to start new thread
Old 07-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

It doesn't have anything to do with behavior or suspensions, but here's one example. My son just graduated from college. Or not. The registrar said he was one credit short, his adviser said he had everything he needed. It boiled down to a question about an AP course he had taken in high school five years ago. If his high school didn't still have a record of the course and his grade, he'd be heading into yet another year of college.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:40 PM

I just got my permanent record yesterday from high school (Class of '79). Blurry, unreadable xeroxes of my old report cards and no mention whatsoever of the underground newspaper I published with stolen school supplies.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Note that there is a difference between "transcript" and "permanent record." Transcripts are sent out all the time. You can request them at the Main Office and probably get a sealed copy the same day. Discipline, psych profiles, testing, evaluations, observations and the like are different. They have to show it to you, as noted above, but they don't have to give it to you. Last time I looked, they were digitizing as many old files as they could in our district.

As for others who can access these records...law enforcement is the chief one. If you were a normal student, they won't find anything even remotely interesting in your file.

We've started listing student NCLB scores on transcripts. Mainly as a motivator. The kids know the tests can't be used by the school against them, and the scores can't affect their grades, so some kids just blow off the tests. Knowing that the scores are on the transcripts that colleges get keeps some of them in line.

Last edited by silenus; 07-07-2009 at 06:08 PM..
Old 07-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I had, yes. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't follow you from one school to another, though. Those folks have a pretty keen interest in knowing if a student has always been well-behaved until now or if they've always been a problem.
My family moved around a lot, & my record certainly did not follow me.
Only the grades.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:19 AM

If you went to high school or college in China, you would have a permanent record, and it would have consequences for your life after school.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:41 AM

More properly, the implied threat should be "a record kept for an indefinite time, with variable protection around its accessibility."

While that indefinite time may extend into adulthood, my own observation is that society is increasingly less concerned with a misspent remote past than a well-spent recent past. High-school records affect little more than college applications, since high-school level jobs pretty much only care if you graduated or not (and frequently don't even document that).

A handful of later-life positions precipitating deep background checks, either for sensitive positions (Secret Service, e.g.) or voyeurism (political positions, e.g.) might access past records otherwise filed away in dusty bins or computer tapes. Nevetheless, for the most part the threat as it relates to school records and school-level offenses is empty. No one cares why you got kicked out of Algebra unless a criminal offense was involved (which would be more than a school record).

As to policies regarding disposal of records: I'm in healthcare and we lead the way (along with the gubmint) in religiously preserving every scrap of every thing forever. Finding it? That's frequently another matter. But the psychology of the Record-Keepers in every business is, indeed: This is Permanent. Holy. File it away. Box it up. Microfilm it. Computerize it to Optical. Never know when it will be Needed. The default policy in practice for a Record-Keeper is almost always "Forever" ... any other policy to the contrary be Damned as Inappropriate.

Last edited by Chief Pedant; 07-27-2009 at 07:44 AM..
Old 07-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Charter Jays Fan

I'd bet dollars to donuts that nobody in the world could conclusively prove I ever graduated from high school. I have a feeling whatever records of the event existed in 1990 are either destroyed, incompatible with any existing machine, or have vanished into a bureaucratic maze. The one and only time they mattered was in spring of 1990 when my transcript was mailed to the university I ended up going to.

And if by some miracle you could find a transcript, that's likely the only record you'd find.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I'd bet dollars to donuts that nobody in the world could conclusively prove I ever graduated from high school. I have a feeling whatever records of the event existed in 1990 are either destroyed, incompatible with any existing machine, or have vanished into a bureaucratic maze. The one and only time they mattered was in spring of 1990 when my transcript was mailed to the university I ended up going to.

And if by some miracle you could find a transcript, that's likely the only record you'd find.
I'm sure that's true, UNLESS you went to a private school that wanted to hit you up for money occasionally. My old Catholic high school knows where I am and where to call during fund drives each year... but I'd be astonished if they still had any record of my grades, let alone my detentions.

At LEAST as far back as "National Lampoon's Animal House," people have been cracking jokes about "your permanent record," and how important it was to get into the right fraternity.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
I'm sure that's true, UNLESS you went to a private school that wanted to hit you up for money occasionally. My old Catholic high school knows where I am and where to call during fund drives each year... but I'd be astonished if they still had any record of my grades, let alone my detentions...
When I applied to return to college for a new degree and transfer my credits, the school in question (Stanford) was one of about 150 which requires the applicant to fill out the Common Application online. Supplying a high school transcript was either required or recommended (I can't recall which), so I visited my old Catholic high school to get my records from more than 30 years ago.

They not only still had my transcripts, college test scores, and IQ on (paper) file, the photocopies they provided me also had my musical aptitude scores from my (also Catholic) elementary school and high school detention/disciplinary notes (there were no entries because I was such an utterly hopeless goodnik, a fact I deeply regret now (dammit, Rick! We coulda been playing around all that time! Oh, how I lusted for you!)... uh hum, back to reality...)

And get this: The copies listed sociability, behavior (non-disciplinary-related), religiosity (including such trivia as how often I attended Mass there in the school), tardiness, locker cleanliness, athletic skills in gym, and even penmanship scores for every single quarter of high school. And the happy little privacy-insulting cherry on the top was that -- also for every quarter -- they also rated my appearance! ("Hair's too long; parent's should be called.") At least they didn't record my "acne scores", too!

Talk about a permanent record! Youch!

Brevity may be the soul of wit, but it is ineluctably the chewy chocolate center of all bullshit (including this, of course).
-- ambushed
Old 07-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

I got my permanent record copied about 5 years after I graduated, mainly so I could get my IQ test records to apply to Mensa. I was surprised at how boring the record was - a collection of poorly photocopied grade cards, several achievement/standardized test results, and some administrative notes on busing reimbursement applications. I read a few years ago that the records had all been destroyed after 20 years, so they're probably gone.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
I'm sure that's true, UNLESS you went to a private school that wanted to hit you up for money occasionally. My old Catholic high school knows where I am and where to call during fund drives each year... but I'd be astonished if they still had any record of my grades, let alone my detentions.

At LEAST as far back as "National Lampoon's Animal House," people have been cracking jokes about "your permanent record," and how important it was to get into the right fraternity.
That's nothing. My old Catholic high school closed in 1984 and was merged with another high school. THAT school closed in 2003 and was merged with a third high school. They know who I am and how to contact me!

I was in high school in the 1960s and my teachers didn't have any qualms about threatening us with what would go on our permanent records. And you can find jokes about getting into the right fraternity in this 1963 episode of Leave It to Beaver -- which wasn't exactly cutting-edge humor even in 1963.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:08 AM

I think there are probably pretty much permanent records nowadays mainly due to 100% digital record keeping and essentially unlimited nearly permanent storage of those records.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamatoTwinkie View Post
Yes. Depending on the district they're usually kept at some depository. In Plano, Texas your records are kept at the high school you graduated from for X number of years before being sent to their depository. People who graduated in 1992 might decide to go to college in 2012 and need to have access to their records.

However. I have an official high school transcript (1994 graduate) and there's nothing on there about any suspensions or disciplinary actions.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:09 AM

How does one go about getting a copy of their permanent record? Do you just go into the office at your old high school or perhaps the school district headquarters, give them your name and the year you graduated and say, "I'd like to see my permanent record"?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnagogic Jerk View Post
Some of that stuff on your permanent record could have you sent to Monster Island. (But don't worry, it's just a name.)
It's actually a peninsula.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:59 AM

As usual, here I am to supply the relevant quote from Buffy, which always seems to have something to say:

Principal Robin Wood: Now, guys, look, we can settle this one of two ways. You can repaint the walls, or I can suspend you and report this little incident on your permanent record.

High School Kid 1: Fine. Do that.

Principal Robin Wood: OK, I was bluffing. I hadn't really thought that one through. Listen, this whole permanent record thing is such a myth, anyway. Colleges never ask for anything past your SAT scores, and it's not like employers are gonna be calling up to check to see how many days you missed back in high school. So, listen, I, I could suspend you, but that would mean calling your parents, alerting your teachers, filling out paperwork, and, quite possibly, having to talk to the School Board, all of which sounds positively exhausting to me. No. No, I think it would be much easier if I just called the police, let them deal with it. Oh, and, in case you're wondering, this is the part where I'm not bluffing.

High School Kid 2: We'll repaint it.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
How does one go about getting a copy of their permanent record? Do you just go into the office at your old high school or perhaps the school district headquarters, give them your name and the year you graduated and say, "I'd like to see my permanent record"?
When I did it, I went to a tiny building run by the district, where a bored secretary took my driver's license, and then brought back a file to me. She then did not care what I did with it, so in theory I could have taken all the originals from it and left. YMMVG.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post

I forgot what eight is for.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:13 AM

"Permanent Record" follows you to the gates of Heaven or Hell, my friend

Like you, I expected that the black marks on my Permanent Record (overdue library books never returned... publishing, in the school paper and behind the advisor's back, confidential information I had dug up showing the disparity between the football team's and drama department's budgets...) was going to affect my chances of ever becoming employed. A nun once told a kid in our class, who had attention deficit disorder, that he was the kind of person who would end up eating out of garbage cans--the implication being that this was his fate because of things she had placed in his Permanent Record.

Years later, over beers, a friend who used to be a Franciscan priest turned on the lights for me: Kids are meant to believe the very worst. No one will ever specifically TELL you that the Permanent Record is "eternal," but many nuns and priests want you to believe that your high school transgressions are being noted in St. Peter's roster.

When I found out that my biological father was a Jesuit priest who had impregnated my mother while she was a Peace Corps volunteer, something snapped inside me and I started to question the entire pile of crap. There IS no permanent record. It's just one of thousands of subtle and not-so-subtle mechanisms that were used to control our behavior and our self-esteem.

Go and sin no more, my friend.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Neville View Post
Quote:
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 says you can at least see it, if your school got funding from the Department of Education. They don't have to provide you a copy, though.
If I remember correctly (just to clarify) FERPA only allows "catalog information" to be released unless it is to the subject of those documents (I'm a security consultant, and had to deal with this kind of issue in an unpleasant situation once). So yes, you can get your data, but other data (parental income, SSN, etc) are not discoverable. Catalog information includes name, address, phone number, and one or two other things that escape my memory.

There are, of course, exceptions (security clearances for the government, criminal violations, etc)

Again, my memory may not be the strongest on this point.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pedant View Post
As to policies regarding disposal of records: I'm in healthcare and we lead the way (along with the gubmint) in religiously preserving every scrap of every thing forever. Finding it? That's frequently another matter. But the psychology of the Record-Keepers in every business is, indeed: This is Permanent. Holy. File it away. Box it up. Microfilm it. Computerize it to Optical. Never know when it will be Needed. The default policy in practice for a Record-Keeper is almost always "Forever" ... any other policy to the contrary be Damned as Inappropriate.
Perhaps a nitpick, but in my consulting days I found that healthcare was the worst industry in terms of information security, followed by government (that's all levels of government, not just Federal - local yokels can be dumbtarded). The desire to retain records reminds me of that old adage - you don't know what you've lost 'til it's gone. For intel and other purposes, it's a good rule of thumb, but for the private (and education) sector, it's hogwash.

Are you the same idiot you were when you were 17? I'm not. I'm a completely new breed of idiot.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeglin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post

I forgot what eight is for.
You can all just kiss off into the air!

CMC fnord!
Old 08-26-2010, 03:57 AM

I was a School prefect. One day the Administrator came to me and told me to assist her by supervising the movement of school records to a storage. While doing so I picked up a ferw files, some were from the late 1800. I found mine as well (not to be moved) and it hadeverything, report cards, diciplinary notice, sickness applications my mother send from 10 years earlier etc etc.

Whew! But the school transcript was just a summery of my grades.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Last year, I attempted to order a copy of my disciplinary record from the public school districts I attended as a child. Both jurisdictions told me that disciplinary records are purged five years after the child leaves, which means that they could not give me a copy since I left public school in the 1990's, and thus the records I was seeking were destroyed years ago.

I can still get a high school transcript with grades.

Last edited by robert_columbia; 08-26-2010 at 06:32 AM..
Old 08-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie boy View Post
When I found out that my biological father was a Jesuit priest who had impregnated my mother while she was a Peace Corps volunteer
That'll go on his permanent record....
Old 08-26-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRat View Post
Perhaps a nitpick, but in my consulting days I found that healthcare was the worst industry in terms of information security, ...//snipped
I would agree with the healthcare-info bit. I have been involved with tossing med records numerous times from both large hospitals and small private offices. What I was told by Admin (who had been advised by lawyers, etc) that my guidleines as far as 'trash' went were ~ :Anything older than five years is gone with a few hospitals choosing to extend to 10 years if storage-space was aplenty. A few exceptions were if its a minor/juvenile (save until five years after they turn 18 or 21, varied by place/State), EKG's, and mammograms. *Anything* else became shred-destined basically. Digital records can be kept much longer due to ease of storage, but paper records take up huge amounts of room and few things are purely digital (but its swinging that direction), so getting rid of them was a cost-cutting measure. The X-ray film was/is sent for silver recovery and could bring decent cash. I have held hundreds of silver 'ingots (back in the days) that resulted from barrels of old film being 'purged', but I don't think ingots/bars are given nowadays - just a check for the value.

I would so love to see my 'permanent record' as I was quite the hellion-child who somehow avoided any documented trouble. I always chuckled whenever I heard the term permanent record and never had any worry.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
...and a copy of my Mr. Peanut award certificate from the 2nd grade <!>
Now THAT needs to go on your resume, or better yet in full color in the PDF of your resume, available online.

But as a Graphic Design teacher, I tell my students the truth that their HS and other college teachers didn't: no one really cares.

No one's going to look at your portfolio and see a brilliant solution to a problem and say "Now, what grade did you get in that class?"

I'm so happy to be in a field where all they care about is what you can DO. You can be tatted and pierced and Arab/Swiss/Hmong and a Rastafarian Rosicrucian who had spitball fights on his "permanent record"... ok with us. Show us some good work.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:20 PM

My 'Permanent Record' issue

How would an academic integrity referral effect my life from here on out? even if it was only a quiz that i cheated on? what about colleges, will they see that, since my teacher hated me enough to report it? does it make a difference if i'm in a college prep school?
Old 02-09-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriKitsune View Post
How would an academic integrity referral effect my life from here on out? even if it was only a quiz that i cheated on? what about colleges, will they see that, since my teacher hated me enough to report it? does it make a difference if i'm in a college prep school?

All the colleges are likely to get is your academic transcript and the recommendations from the teachers you send in. So the only way this could affect you is through your grade in that course, if it is truly bad some schools give F's with a special note of academic dishonesty. Or if your reputation was so tarnished among the faculty of the school that you couldn't find a few teachers who wouldn't feel obligated to mention it if you asked them to write a recommendation.

Now resurrecting a zombie thread started 2 1/2 years ago... That will go on your permanent record.