do rhinos stamp out fires?

In the movie “The Gods must be Crazy”, the male character makes the comment, after having their fire put out by a rhinocerous that “rhinos are the fire patrol of the desert”. I can’t seem to find documentation anywhere else, there is some mention of Asian rhinos exhibiting this behavior.

Does anybody know?

Wait, you mean the character who believed a Coke bottle was a gift from the gods and who trekked to the edge of the world to get rid of it?

No, he means the guy who winched the Land Rover up into a tree.

No, that guy would know better. He means the moron.

To be exact, smart guys, it was the narrator who made the comment.

But…but…but… They showed a rhino putting out a fire! :eek:

I know you’re joking, but for the record the fire-stomping scene was pretty obviously two guys in a rhino suit.

I’ve never heard of this as being typical rhino behavior, so I’m pretty confident that the answer is no. The stories of Asian rhinos doing this appear to be legendary.

Aren’t you mistaking Rhinos for Bears?

I’d like to see a “Smokey The Rhino” ad campaign. With a shovel and four inch rockabilly cuffs.

Q. Why do ducks have flat feet?
A. To stamp out forest fires.

Q. Why do rhinos have flat feet?
A. To stamp out burning ducks.

For a serious answer…

When I was at the San Diego Wild Animal Park, I took the “Safari” into the center section where the animals were kept. I asked the guide about this (since Rhinos were one of the animals we got to feed from the truck).

His answer: no, that was just made up for the movie.

J.

Well, it doesn’t appear to be true, but as Colibri alludes to, it’s Asian folklore, which is probably where the screenwriters got it, rather than making it up out of whole cloth. Wiki’s take:

I don’t know about stamping out fires, but I could easily believe a rhino spraying out a fire. You don’t want to be near the operational end of a rhino when it lets loose. :slight_smile:

This was on The Simpsons too. Marge saved Homer from a charging rhino by flipping over her SUV and the rhino immediately went after the burning wreck and tried to stamp it out. That’ll teach me from getting all my info from a cartoon.