Costumes You Can Run Like Hell In

So, we’re signing up for a10k Halloween themed run in Portland.

What ideas do you have for costumes that are safe/appropriate to run in? (“No capes!!”)

We’re not front of the pack runners, we’ll never set records, but we do compete to beat our own times, so a salmon suit and running the opposite way isn’t what we’re into.

I’m generally not a costume dress up kind of girl, but when people dress up for these events, like Bay to Breakers, it’s really a lot of fun to watch and I’d like to be a part of that.

I have a sewing machine and know how to use it, so it doesn’t have to be prepackaged–I don’t think I’ve seen a prepackaged costume that I liked, sadly.

Anyway, so I’m small framed with really short hair and the husband is medium framed, tall and handsome, and since we have very different paces, we may not run together. I’m working on my pace though, so we might.

So couple costume suggestions? Or couple costumes that make sense separately but are better together?

Or just random costume suggestions?

I’m thinking super heroes (spandex!) or ninjas (you can dress in light and deadly layers) or why not escaped prisoners (running towards freedom).

Big Bad Wolf and Red Riding Hood?

The Flash!

Reed Richards and Invisible Girl should be easy to do. as a couples thing.

Brad & Janet from Rocky Horror if you want to run in your drawers.

Wonder Woman would be easy for the girl…the guy could do a generic robber/bandit look, and run slightly ahead of her…

Ah, being Wonder Woman would be such a flashback, I used to have SUCH a thing for her as a little girl. A definite possibility if we go the superhero route…

And since I’d likely be following/chasing the husbeast (nyuk, nyuk) Little Red Riding Hood with a lightweight costume axe would be a fun one–although it does violate the No Capes dictum. I wonder how cold it will be? I might be grateful for that cape at the start. And to find and run in a blonde wig…hmmmm…

How about a nice red dress?

Thousands of hashers manage to do it every year without serious injury.

Or a red hoodie. Something like this or this would look the part well (although the length might hinder your movement).

Number, I didn’t know the red dress run tradition started with the San Diego hashers! Good to know.

gallows fodder, I like the red jacket, that’s a neat design. Did you make it?

I get really toasty when I run, so a traditional coat would probably be out. The pre-made trashy little red riding hood costumes actually look not bad to run in, don’t know how The Man would feel about running in a wolf costume though.

I bought a pair of this Wonder Woman panties for myself a few weeks ago, just because I was feeling cute. Depending on how you feel about running in panties (they are a bit spandex-y), you could pair it with a red cami and some long red socks for boots, add a crown and go as Wonder Woman.

Not sure how running in panties would be for the thighs, tho. May want to go with flesh colored leggings, too.

How about a high-speed remake-style zombie? Basically an infested jogger? Distress your clothes a little, some blood and gray make-up and you are there.

Judging from recent events, dressing up like a member of the Jamaican sprinting team seems very effective.

If you enjoy confusing those under 40, you could go as Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_of_the_Sexes_(tennis)

Adam and Eve, before the apple.

Curses, I came in here to post either of these.
So… Jamaican zombie.

You don’t want a cumbersome costume, right? No capes or…anything! Streakers in sneakers.

Toga - with nice tight gold belt and gold wreath on your head.

Alice in Wonderland and the Rabbit

Greek tunics, with adoring worshippers.

Are you looking for something g-rated and campy? Nostalgic? Scary? Just this side of appropriate? Give us some personality hints, please.

You could dye your shoes red, and add clip-on pigtails, white clothes and a baby-blue gingham skirt. He could wear silver running clothes, and a little conical hat. . . or he could be Dorothy and you could be the witch chasing him . . .

or you could both be flying monkeys! Ooh, ooh, with brown running costumes, a little red porkpie hat and a pair of wings strapped on your backs!

Or what about the ghost couple from BeetleJuice? You’d just need grey running clothes, and grey powdered make up scattered over your clothes and hair. Then you add some flying tattered lace, and he adds a beat-up tophat, and maybe just the lapels from a grey suit. . .

He could wear a cut-off pair of trousers with a dress shirt all torn up in the back. You could wear just about anything black, and carry a riding whip . . . and maybe he wears a dog collar and leash . . .

See, the possibilities are endless without the personality info . . .