The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 08-23-2009, 02:02 PM

Costumes You Can Run Like Hell In

So, we're signing up for a 10k Halloween themed run in Portland.

What ideas do you have for costumes that are safe/appropriate to run in? ("No capes!!")

We're not front of the pack runners, we'll never set records, but we do compete to beat our own times, so a salmon suit and running the opposite way isn't what we're into.

I'm generally not a costume dress up kind of girl, but when people dress up for these events, like Bay to Breakers, it's really a lot of fun to watch and I'd like to be a part of that.

I have a sewing machine and know how to use it, so it doesn't have to be prepackaged--I don't think I've seen a prepackaged costume that I liked, sadly.

Anyway, so I'm small framed with really short hair and the husband is medium framed, tall and handsome, and since we have very different paces, we may not run together. I'm working on my pace though, so we might.

So couple costume suggestions? Or couple costumes that make sense separately but are better together?

Or just random costume suggestions?
Advertisements  
Old 08-23-2009, 02:11 PM

I'm thinking super heroes (spandex!) or ninjas (you can dress in light and deadly layers) or why not escaped prisoners (running towards freedom).
Old 08-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Big Bad Wolf and Red Riding Hood?
Old 08-23-2009, 02:26 PM

The Flash!
Old 08-23-2009, 02:35 PM

Reed Richards and Invisible Girl should be easy to do. as a couples thing.

Brad & Janet from Rocky Horror if you want to run in your drawers.

Wonder Woman would be easy for the girl...the guy could do a generic robber/bandit look, and run slightly ahead of her....
Old 08-23-2009, 03:36 PM

Ah, being Wonder Woman would be such a flashback, I used to have SUCH a thing for her as a little girl. A definite possibility if we go the superhero route...

And since I'd likely be following/chasing the husbeast (nyuk, nyuk) Little Red Riding Hood with a lightweight costume axe would be a fun one--although it does violate the No Capes dictum. I wonder how cold it will be? I might be grateful for that cape at the start. And to find and run in a blonde wig...hmmmm...
Old 08-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

How about a nice red dress?

Thousands of hashers manage to do it every year without serious injury.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:34 PM

Or a red hoodie. Something like this or this would look the part well (although the length might hinder your movement).

Last edited by gallows fodder; 08-23-2009 at 06:34 PM..
Old 08-23-2009, 07:15 PM

Number, I didn't know the red dress run tradition started with the San Diego hashers! Good to know.

gallows fodder, I like the red jacket, that's a neat design. Did you make it?

I get really toasty when I run, so a traditional coat would probably be out. The pre-made trashy little red riding hood costumes actually look not bad to run in, don't know how The Man would feel about running in a wolf costume though.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:52 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

I bought a pair of this Wonder Woman panties for myself a few weeks ago, just because I was feeling cute. Depending on how you feel about running in panties (they are a bit spandex-y), you could pair it with a red cami and some long red socks for boots, add a crown and go as Wonder Woman.

Not sure how running in panties would be for the thighs, tho. May want to go with flesh colored leggings, too.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:16 PM
born to be shunned

How about a high-speed remake-style zombie? Basically an infested jogger? Distress your clothes a little, some blood and gray make-up and you are there.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Judging from recent events, dressing up like a member of the Jamaican sprinting team seems very effective.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:13 PM

If you enjoy confusing those under 40, you could go as Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bat...Sexes_(tennis)
Old 08-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Adam and Eve, before the apple.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
How about a high-speed remake-style zombie? Basically an infested jogger? Distress your clothes a little, some blood and gray make-up and you are there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Judging from recent events, dressing up like a member of the Jamaican sprinting team seems very effective.
Curses, I came in here to post either of these.
So... Jamaican zombie.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:46 AM

You don't want a cumbersome costume, right? No capes or...anything! Streakers in sneakers.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:52 AM

Toga - with nice tight gold belt and gold wreath on your head.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:14 AM

Alice in Wonderland and the Rabbit
Old 08-24-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark View Post
Toga - with nice tight gold belt and gold wreath on your head.
Greek tunics, with adoring worshippers.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:15 AM

Are you looking for something g-rated and campy? Nostalgic? Scary? Just this side of appropriate? Give us some personality hints, please.

You could dye your shoes red, and add clip-on pigtails, white clothes and a baby-blue gingham skirt. He could wear silver running clothes, and a little conical hat. . . or he could be Dorothy and you could be the witch chasing him . . .

or you could both be flying monkeys! Ooh, ooh, with brown running costumes, a little red porkpie hat and a pair of wings strapped on your backs!

Or what about the ghost couple from BeetleJuice? You'd just need grey running clothes, and grey powdered make up scattered over your clothes and hair. Then you add some flying tattered lace, and he adds a beat-up tophat, and maybe just the lapels from a grey suit. . .

He could wear a cut-off pair of trousers with a dress shirt all torn up in the back. You could wear just about anything black, and carry a riding whip . . . and maybe he wears a dog collar and leash . . .

See, the possibilities are endless without the personality info . . .
Old 08-24-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
gallows fodder, I like the red jacket, that's a neat design. Did you make it?
No, but I wish I had it. I like the horizontal details.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:27 PM

Go as Jason and final girl.

Of course one of you will have to hold a machete over your head for the entire race....
Old 08-24-2009, 01:03 PM

Personality-wise, we're down with "just this side of appropriate" or "topical and in poor taste" but there have been some very appealing ideas here.

I just suck at Halloween costume dress up. My mind is always such a blank, but I love seeing the creative ideas people come up with and I wanted to see how the Dope turned its mind to the problem of costume + 6 mile race in PDX.
I was a cat for three or four years in a row as a little girl because I love cats. Boring.
My favorite costume as an adult was Goose from Top Gun (lived in San Diego), weedy little mustache, flight suit, trickle of blood down face from impact with the canopy and all.

I think streaking is out, this race is in PDX after all and we'd like to be somewhat unique.
Plus, I'd have to hold my boobs the whole time. They're not big, but they're too big to be allowed unfettered while running, much as they'd like to snuffle the wind with their little pink noses.

And I'm not fast enough to dress like Jenn Shelton. (Or tan enough.) So WonderWoman underroos might be out.

Little Red Riding Hood & the Big Bad Wolf are promising (and easy prospects). I wouldn't buy this mask for the run, but it's gorgeous and perfect. Might make a cheap version. Likewise Alice & the Rabbit, with Alice having the bonus of not having anything capelike. My hair is really very short (1/2" or so) so I'd end up with a wig.

Flying Monkeys is an excellent idea, there will probably be some Dorothies on the course.

A friend suggested the Wonder Twins, which makes me wish dogs were allowed on the course; we could run with Tahoe as the Space Monkey Gleek. I kind of really dislike purple though.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:37 PM

My favorite halloween costume might work

OK, this is just this side of appropriate. Maybe several steps on this side of appropriate.

My wife dresses with a light army helmet liner, camouflage jacket or shirt, grease paint, etc. For her pants, it is only simple black leggings.

I wear Army boots, army pants, canteen etc with a nondescript black shirt.

We each wear a name tag.

Q: What is on the name tags?

Upper G.I. on hers and Lower G.I. on mine!
Old 08-24-2009, 09:05 PM

You could always dress as athletes from other sports. Those clothes are designed for mobility, comfort, etc. A tennis skirt and shirt (with or without a racket strapped to your back) would be very good for running. Also, a gymnast in her leotard (or a dancer for that matter) could work. Basketball jerseys and shorts, baseball jersey and running pants, soccer jerseys, etc. would all work for running. Perhaps the only thing that wouldn't work is a football player (pads and a helmet would get hot), but a cheerleader would work well.

Perhaps, to tie you two together, you could either go as members of the same team or members of rival teams, perhaps with you being the underdog "chasing" the traditional leader.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:15 PM

For hubby man how about Caster Semenya (link), with a massive "bulge"?
Old 08-25-2009, 03:56 AM

i vote Rocky and Bullwinkle.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:52 AM

Go as peter pan and tinkerbell. Easy to make , just as easy to run in and if anyone asks him who he's supposed to be he can say robiin hood.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:01 PM

Yeah, premade costumes tend to be pretty cheaply made, but of course, they're not meant to last more than one night, so it makes sense.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions...I think I may be very lazy and go the Little Red Riding Hood route, as the skimpy premade costume shop outfit styles lend themselves well to running in, even though it violates the "no capes!" rule. The Man has grey running shorts & pants, so I can make him a big bushy tale and get a mask.

I love the really creative all-out costumes people come up with (like the stormtrooper in Lex87's link) but I am never very good at planning such things.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:27 AM

Oh c'mon, it's Portland! You have to do zombies, or pirates, or pirate zombies. Or go as ghost pirate zombies and follow a group dressed up like Scooby Doo and the gang.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:33 AM

Wile E. Coyote and The Roadrunner.

For the Wile E, just need "brown" everywhere (light on the front, dark on the back - long sleeve brown shirt and leggings) and maybe a dog nose-mask. Some long floppy ears with a bit of wire to make them stream out behind you (something like rabbit ears, just color them brown).

http://metrospokane.typepad.com/inde...e_coyote_2.gif

For Roadrunner, light blue leggings and long-sleeve shirt, yellow bird nose-mask plus dark blue bandana, bright orange socks and get a little pair of bird wings (like those angel wings that little kids and/or Victoria's Secret models wear).

http://www.cartoonspot.net/looney-tu...er-picture.php

Basically both costumes are just long sleeves and leggings - you can get cheap longsleeve wicking shirts at Target (I wear them running all the time) and for tights just put leggings over or under your running shorts. The nose masks will let you breath (or you can just use face makeup instead of an actual mask). Wings and ears should be at toy stores.

Wile E can wear a "sponsored by Acme" sign. Roadrunner can carry a little rubber horn to go "Meep meep!".
Old 08-28-2009, 11:52 AM

What about some complete non sequitor, like Masai warriors? Then you can have fun making up explanations.

Well, my Grandfather was on the Titanic see, and he was the only surviving member of his lifeboat by the time it bumped up on the shores of Africa, where he was saved by . . .
Old 08-29-2009, 10:04 PM

Valgard, that's a supercute idea. Definitely going in the workpile.

TruCelt, I'm not tall enough to be Masai. Plus, I'd probably get my ticket punched by someone who thought I was making some boneheaded Kenyan/spearchucker "joke."

Last edited by Tortuga; 08-29-2009 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: spllng
Old 08-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Long wig + running shoes* = Lady Godiva.

Or for the pair of you, strategically placed fig leaves for Adam and Eve.

* For comfort, not historical veracity, since the organizers would probably frown on a horse.

Last edited by commasense; 08-29-2009 at 10:35 PM..
Old 08-30-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trupa View Post
The Flash!
Been reading about Bay to Breakers?
Old 08-30-2009, 01:37 AM

Prison uniforms and remember get the police to drop you of at the start of the race
Old 08-30-2009, 03:05 PM

Cool username+thread title combo. But I gather a shell is not a terribly effective costume for running.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:34 PM

Nancarrow, I dunno. This guy did it. And I suppose I could do something more streamlined, less floppy, and it would be appropriate to have The Man dress as a Hare, since he's generally much faster.

I finally got around to googling for Bay to Breakers costumes, okay, maybe just ogling all teh nekkid. But I am glad to say that this is not an option for either of us.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:27 PM

Ooh, this one wins easiest/most dangerous (for me, the klutz) to run in.

Speaking of klutzes, this is a great picture of costumed "dominoes"--compare the face of the girl in the back to the guy in the front.

And I have no idea what she's supposed to be, but this is a seriously cute girl.