The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Transistor Rhythm Transistor Rhythm is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 159
Sqeaky Asian Sex; do other cultures make different noises during coitus?

I believe that sex noises are voluntary and culturally socialized rather than involuntary or naturally occurring. Based on popular imported pornography, it appears that asian women tend to make incredibly whiny, squeaky noises during the act when compared to Americans, who tend to make the "porno ringtone" sound that we're all used to ("uhhh!").

Do other cultures have different sex noises? Are there viking grunts, prussian warbles, and mesopotamian moans? What happens in the arab world?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 09-18-2009, 08:53 AM
ultrafilter ultrafilter is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
What do you propose as the social transmission mechanism, and why do you think that porn is an accurate depiction of how regular people have sex?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Transistor Rhythm Transistor Rhythm is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrafilter View Post
What do you propose as the social transmission mechanism, and why do you think that porn is an accurate depiction of how regular people have sex?
I'd say that humor and imitation are probably the #1 social transmission mechanisms prior to porn; everyone has seen a kid jokingly do an "Uh, uhh, uhhh!" gag to another kid. I assume this could easily be picked up from overhearing an adult's joke or even overhearing parents or relatives getting it on.

Though porn obviously isn't an accurate depiction of normal sexual behavior, the noises are. You don't see porn with people making elephant or clown noises instead of regular moans and groans.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-18-2009, 09:06 AM
LSLGuy LSLGuy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO USA
Posts: 6,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor Rhythm View Post
.... You don't see porn with people making elephant or clown noises instead of regular moans and groans.
I take it you aren't familiar with the porn genre known as "clown porn"? Hint required by board regs: Googling would be NSFW.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Transistor Rhythm Transistor Rhythm is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
I take it you aren't familiar with the porn genre known as "clown porn"? Hint required by board regs: Googling would be NSFW.
Oh, I'm sure. What I mean is that in the grand scheme of things, porn noises are probably the element most accurate to their real-life counterparts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Nava Nava is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Well, according to an American boyfriend of mine, I was to scream my lungs out (definitely Not Done in Spain, where most people live in apartments or townhouses) and "oh dios... oooOOO Dios... OH DIOOOOOOOX" was not acceptable.

Of course, whether screaming one's lungs out is normal among American women or he just watched too much porn, I cannot tell.

We've had previous threads about for example "why women in Japanese porn scream a lot less than American porn actresses and use high-pitched voices" (I'm lazy); I recall that several people gave examples of different cultures expecting different behaviors.

Last edited by Nava; 09-18-2009 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Captain_Awesome Captain_Awesome is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrafilter View Post
What do you propose as the social transmission mechanism, and why do you think that porn is an accurate depiction of how regular people have sex?
Vocal pitch is only partially the result of anatomical differences between men and women, and the remaining factor is due to culturally expected norms. Gender expectations and manipulation of the vocal tract are normally learnt early, though sometimes later in instances of gender change. Other mannerisms such as nasalised delivery and 'baby-talk' registers are associated with a burikko performance (Japanese language, gender, and ideology: cultural models and real people).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-18-2009, 10:50 AM
suranyi suranyi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor Rhythm View Post
I believe that sex noises are voluntary and culturally socialized rather than involuntary or naturally occurring. Based on popular imported pornography, it appears that asian women tend to make incredibly whiny, squeaky noises during the act when compared to Americans, who tend to make the "porno ringtone" sound that we're all used to ("uhhh!").

Do other cultures have different sex noises? Are there viking grunts, prussian warbles, and mesopotamian moans? What happens in the arab world?
Take it from someone who knows: What you see (or rather, hear) in porn is not the truth.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-18-2009, 11:45 AM
The Hamster King The Hamster King is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
Take it from someone who knows: What you see (or rather, hear) in porn is not the truth.
Yup. The sounds you hear in porn from different countries are NOT the sounds that people from those countries make during sex. They're the sounds that porn producers from those countries think their home audiences will find particularly arousing.

You'd be better off asking "What is it about the way that Asian cultures construct gender roles that would make Asian men tend to find squeaky voices more arousing?"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Max Torque Max Torque is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Raiderville, TX
Posts: 9,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Well, according to an American boyfriend of mine, I was to scream my lungs out (definitely Not Done in Spain, where most people live in apartments or townhouses) and "oh dios... oooOOO Dios... OH DIOOOOOOOX" was not acceptable.
He didn't ask for "ay papi"?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-18-2009, 12:37 PM
constanze constanze is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor Rhythm View Post
Though porn obviously isn't an accurate depiction of normal sexual behavior, the noises are.
I don't watch porn, but I watch normal Hollywood movies, and I would say that movies standardize behaviour. There's a standard Hollywood kiss (and American women lifting up one leg) that occurs in almost every movie or TV series. How often do you see different behaviour in real life?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-18-2009, 01:06 PM
The Controvert The Controvert is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamster King View Post
They're the sounds that porn producers from those countries think their home audiences will find particularly arousing.
Oftentimes, other off-screen actors are adding more pronounced sound effects. The sound sometimes doesn't even sync up with the onscreen action. Perhaps a better question to ask is does American phone sex sound anything like Japanese phone sex. Anyone know the answer to that?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-18-2009, 01:10 PM
ultrafilter ultrafilter is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by constanze View Post
I don't watch porn, but I watch normal Hollywood movies, and I would say that movies standardize behaviour. There's a standard Hollywood kiss (and American women lifting up one leg) that occurs in almost every movie or TV series. How often do you see different behaviour in real life?
Alternatively, the movies could be depicting what people actually do.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Larry Mudd Larry Mudd is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Ass end of Alberta
Posts: 17,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
Take it from someone who knows: What you see (or rather, hear) in porn is not the truth.
I have been with a grand total of one Japanese woman, and she definitely didn't do the "Squeak squeak, oh, my what's happening? squeak squeak" routine that is typical of Japanese pornography. Contrarily, she opted for cowgirl and punched me hard enough in the chest to leave a bruise when she climaxed. (Both times, dammit.)

And the one time a Canadian girl started giving a typical North American porn performance during the act, I laughed out loud and she went into a deep sulk.

That sort of stuff is great for porn, but relating it to actual sex is just silly.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-18-2009, 03:09 PM
StusBlues StusBlues is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
I used to live above a Chinese couple that spoke very little English. The woman made the same sounds having sex as most Euro-American women I've been intimate with. YMMV.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-18-2009, 03:13 PM
SenorBeef SenorBeef is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 21,804
From what I can gather, German women make a noise that roughly sounds like what I assume a cow would make if kicked in the udders.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Nava Nava is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
He didn't ask for "ay papi"?
It had to be English, he got angry any time I said anything in Spanish. No, we didn't last long.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-18-2009, 03:21 PM
yorick73 yorick73 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamster King View Post
Yup. The sounds you hear in porn from different countries are NOT the sounds that people from those countries make during sex. They're the sounds that porn producers from those countries think their home audiences will find particularly arousing.

You'd be better off asking "What is it about the way that Asian cultures construct gender roles that would make Asian men tend to find squeaky voices more arousing?"
Kinda begs the question...why would the home audience find a particular sound arousing? And why is this sound different between different cultures?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-18-2009, 05:07 PM
gaffa gaffa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamster King View Post
Yup. The sounds you hear in porn from different countries are NOT the sounds that people from those countries make during sex. They're the sounds that porn producers from those countries think their home audiences will find particularly arousing.
What's more annoying is when they use different slang for the target audience. I'm a fan of the "Gonzo" video producer Ben Dover. He's a Brit, shooting other Brits. So why are they using the American slang terms for body parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor Rhythm View Post
Based on popular imported pornography, it appears that asian women tend to make incredibly whiny, squeaky noises during the act when compared to Americans, who tend to make the "porno ringtone" sound that we're all used to ("uhhh!").
What a wonderful term! I hate that sound that all the San Fernando Valley porn actresses all make "mmmmYeah!" in a whiny voice. That's why amateur porn tends to be more enjoyable - the people involved haven't learned how they are supposed to sound, so it's far more believable.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-18-2009, 05:42 PM
drachillix drachillix is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
It had to be English, he got angry any time I said anything in Spanish. No, we didn't last long.
¿Cómo te va
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Superhal Superhal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I'd say porn is pure fiction. Real people sound like themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Serenata67 Serenata67 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
You know, some people don't make any noise. I'm marrying one of them. And he's watched LOTS of porn, knows the sounds he's "supposed" to make, but he just doesn't make noise when we make whoopee.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Alex_Dubinsky Alex_Dubinsky is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,859
I found an israeli amateur vid once. They kept saying "oiy oiy oiy."
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-19-2009, 01:53 PM
jjimm jjimm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mudd View Post
Contrarily, she opted for cowgirl and punched me hard enough in the chest to leave a bruise when she climaxed. (Both times, dammit.)
Similarly, a Chinese girl I went out with sounded like every euro or American I've been with, except that she nearly ripped my ears off when she came. Perhaps climactic violence is an Asian trend?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-20-2009, 05:03 PM
jjimm jjimm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
As if by magic, this article on Japanese attitudes to American porn noises was linked to from another thread.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-20-2009, 09:12 PM
ShibbOleth ShibbOleth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
It had to be English, he got angry any time I said anything in Spanish. No, we didn't last long.
Well I never been to Spain, but I kinda like the music...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-21-2009, 12:14 PM
davekhps davekhps is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Wow, a lot of cranky people in this thread.

A lot of people make noise during sex. MOST people do-- or else porn wouldn't be the way that it is. Why do people always think culture has to be reflective of entertainment instead of the other way around?

I've had GFs who moan. Some scream. Some were pretty quiet, but still made noise. Others were full-throated, filthy banshees. I don't make much noise during sex, but I still make noise, and sometimes, I make a LOT of noise. Everybody is different, all situations are different.

In fact, even porn is different-- a lot of girls/women DON'T make all that much noise in porn. Others make too much (well, for me-- again, everyone has a preference). Some porn actresses fake it, taking them at their word. Some porn actresses *don't* fake it, again, taking them at their word.

All kinds, friends. All kinds.

Last edited by davekhps; 09-21-2009 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-21-2009, 02:32 PM
magnusblitz magnusblitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2005
I'm pretty sure the "squeaky" noises are a Japanese thing (not asian) and it's a cultural, not a physical thing... because if you look at American porn featuring asian women who were raised in America, they don't make those noises - they sound like other American pornos. I don't have any cite for it, but I'd wager a guess that the Japanese noises simply have to do with some sort of cultural idea that during sex, the man is the aggressor, and it's "hot" for the girl to act like she's in pain (or close to it) from the act.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-22-2009, 12:07 AM
DesertDog DesertDog is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 2,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimm View Post
Perhaps climactic violence is an Asian trend?
cf Realm of the Senses.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-22-2009, 03:49 AM
Lunchy Lunchy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
From what I can gather, German women make a noise that roughly sounds like what I assume a cow would make if kicked in the udders.
Haha, man, you should get post of the month,good stuff!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-23-2009, 10:57 AM
mo50 mo50 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
I'm pretty sure the "squeaky" noises are a Japanese thing (not asian) and it's a cultural, not a physical thing... because if you look at American porn featuring asian women who were raised in America, they don't make those noises - they sound like other American pornos. I don't have any cite for it, but I'd wager a guess that the Japanese noises simply have to do with some sort of cultural idea that during sex, the man is the aggressor, and it's "hot" for the girl to act like she's in pain (or close to it) from the act.
Thinkin you're right. The times I've been to Japan, staying in small cheap business hotels, they always seem to have a couple of porn channels which I've watched breifly (really!), while flipping channels. It often seemed like the Japanese porn actresses do alot of this kinda helpless squealing & crying, like they aren't enjoying it at all & are completely helpless, almost even like a rape/sexual assault scenario. Seriously, not very much of a turn on.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.