The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 12-20-2009, 05:22 AM

"it's like murder she wrote once I get you out of them clothes"

Despite everything, I can't help but enjoy "Ignition (remix)". R. Kelly is a suspicious character and his lyrics can be a bit uncomfortable at times, but that song at least has a great hook and r'n'b rhythm.

That said, I can't wrap my head around these lyrics:

Quote:
It's like 'Murder, she wrote', once I get you out of them clothes
I mean... Yes. This is R. Kelly, not R. Proust. Still, what is this I'm hearing? It's like "Murder she wrote" once R. Kelly gets the girl "out of them clothes"? I don't know about you, but to me 'Murder she wrote' is what old ladies watch on sunday afternoons together with scones and tea. Judging from R. Kelly overall, I'd assume that he's a bit less innocent than that. Rather "Freakazoid" or "American Gladiators". Perhaps even "Fear Factor".

So, from what I can gather, the lyrics have something to do with either of the following:

a.) "Murder, she wrote" is stranger than I recall. Maybe Angela Lansbury in particular.

b.) The lyrics are a metaphor for something intricately kinky that I'm too European and too non-R. Kelly to grasp. If so, I apologize in advance.

c.) R. Kelly is crazy.

Enlighten me, message board.
Advertisements  
Old 12-20-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
now its like murder she wrote
once i get you out them clothes
privacy is on the door
still they can hear you screamin more
The three lines that follow explain the line in question. He is saying that once he gets started she is going to be screaming like someone who is being murdered. Not sure if there is anything else I may be missing but that is at least the main idea.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:40 AM

Lil Wayne confused the hell out of me with "3 Peat". At one point he says

You cannot see me
Like Hitler it's the New Orleans nightmare.

And I'm like what the hell. Why is New Orleans afraid of Hitler? But as I listed a little closer I realized I was focusing on the wrong thing. "Cannot see me like Hitler" is pronounced "Can Nazi me like Hitler" and the part about New Orleans is the next line. Why he wants to be Nazi'd is anybody's guess.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosted Glass View Post
The three lines that follow explain the line in question. He is saying that once he gets started she is going to be screaming like someone who is being murdered. Not sure if there is anything else I may be missing but that is at least the main idea.
Well that would make sense if the words "she wrote" were not there. But for most of us "murder she wrote" refers to a very staid TV show, with very little screaming or overt violence (yes there were murders to be solved, but they mostly took place "offstage"), and where most of the characters were elderly and decidedly unsexy. If he is trying to suggest hot sex he is way off.

Maybe it is just very carelessly written. He meant "it's like murder" but the scansion demanded a couple of extra syllables and he just slotted in the pre-existing phrase that came to mind without thinking about its connotations. Some musicians care a lot more about the music than about the words. I am not very familiar with R. Kelly's lyrics. Is he usually a meticulous wordsmith, or not?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njtt View Post
But for most of us "murder she wrote" refers to a very staid TV show [...] where most of the characters were elderly and decidedly unsexy. If he is trying to suggest hot sex he is way off.
I remember having pretty much these exact same thoughts in the early nineties, when Chaka Demus' dancehall hit Murder, She Wrote charted. (Youtube link.)

R. Kelly's line makes slightly more sense as a namecheck of this tune than a direct reference to Angela Lansbury's detective show.

Last edited by Larry Mudd; 12-20-2009 at 10:10 AM..
Old 12-20-2009, 10:18 AM

I think R is using "Murder, She Wrote", but he actually means "That's all she wrote". As in 'once I get you out of those close, it's on, and there is no stopping it'.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:32 AM

I think it's just supposed to be like, oh cool, he name dropped a TV show. Even though it doesn't make that much sense. We are talking about the same genre where rhyming "Louis Vuitton don" and "Louis Vuitton mom" is intricate wordplay. And "she got a white friend look like Michael Jackson" is like knock one out of the park poetry.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:00 AM

I'm guessing that R. Kelly has never seen Murder She Wrote, and thinks it is more gruesome that it actually was.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashnish Ewing View Post
I think R is using "Murder, She Wrote", but he actually means "That's all she wrote". As in 'once I get you out of those close, it's on, and there is no stopping it'.
I think he meant it in a "case closed" way, as in a done deal.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
I think he meant it in a "case closed" way, as in a done deal.
A valise, then?
Old 12-20-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Well that would make sense if the words "she wrote" were not there. But for most of us "murder she wrote" refers to a very staid TV show, with very little screaming or overt violence (yes there were murders to be solved, but they mostly took place "offstage"), and where most of the characters were elderly and decidedly unsexy. If he is trying to suggest hot sex he is way off.
That actually makes a lot more sense (if he's that clever). Knowing that they killed people offstage gives a much better explanation of the whole "privacy is on the door, still they can hear you screaming more" part. Hes "killing it" (having amazing sex) offstage behind a "do not disturb" sign.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:09 PM

Oh, and it's very predictable. Whenever Jessica Fletcher is in town, there is a murder.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
(yes there were murders to be solved, but they mostly took place "offstage")
The murder would be offstage, but at the end of the episode, Jessica would reveal the sequence of events as she had deduced them and as I recall that would be shown, with Jessica narrating:

[recreation is shown] Jessica: "...and after you planted Miss Brown's glove in the freezer to throw suspicion on her, you sneaked into Mister Green's bedroom and shot him."

[cut to drawing-room revelation scene] Murderer: "But how could I? James saw me at the boathouse at the time of the murder."

[cut back to recreation] Jessica: "James saw what he wanted to see, since he was eager for yet another romantic encounter, but when the figure in the dark coat waved him off, he assumed this wasn't a good time. But that wasn't you, it was your accomplice, Miss White."
Old 12-20-2009, 04:22 PM

I add this for the possible benefit of non-native English speakers. I don't have any great insight, but I think the word "like" here is used in the slang sense of "like, y'know" rather than just meaning "it is similar to the television show."

So more of a "And you'll be all 'Murder She Wrote' once I ..."

The slang "like" often describes not exactly what someone would say, but what they were thinking/ feeling phrased as a more extreme version of what they actually said.

"The professor said we'd have a pop quiz today, so I was like, 'just shoot me now.'"
Old 12-20-2009, 05:15 PM

It's a bit disturbing to describe a romantic encounter like Murder, She Wrote, though, no? What's he going to do...exactly? Pee on her?
Old 12-20-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
It's a bit disturbing to describe a romantic encounter like Murder, She Wrote, though, no? What's he going to do...exactly? Pee on her?
It depends....
Old 12-20-2009, 06:01 PM

Maybe because once he gets her clothes off, he's going to thoroughly investigate her body.

Or else he's stuck in the closet with Angela Lansbury. One or the other.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:53 PM

Maybe R. Kelly just likes Angela Lansbury.

I think "Murder She Wrote" is supposed to make the sentiment sound more playful than plain "murder." Why R. Kelly would be concerned with anyone's delicate sensibilities at this point, I do not know, but overall I like the lyric, it's snappy.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Pseudolegal

As a long-time rap and R&B fan who has oft been exposed to comical and sometimes nonsensical lyrics, I find it amusing how deeply all of you are trying to analyze this particular line. I think Frosted Glass has it correct, by the way. I suspect that any attempt to analyze it beyond that is putting far more thought into it than R. Kelly ever did.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:18 PM

Still though, I've heard more obviously charming things than comparing your love making to a murder scene. It's one of those things that should make a girl re-concider things.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:55 AM

Isn't it obvious? R. Kelly is a chronophile.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:28 AM

"She had a body like a horse- you know what I mean" - Ol' Dirty Bastard

No ODB, I do not know what you mean.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
"She had a body like a horse- you know what I mean" - Ol' Dirty Bastard

No ODB, I do not know what you mean.
You can ride it. Duh.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Pseudolegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus waltz View Post
Still though, I've heard more obviously charming things than comparing your love making to a murder scene. It's one of those things that should make a girl re-concider things.
Perhaps you're not hanging out with the right girls...
Old 12-21-2009, 01:45 PM

Oh and for what it's worth, the only rap song I remember being confused about was D4L's Laffy Taffy. It says, "Shake that Laffy Taffy" which I assumed meant ass- but that makes no sense, as Laffy Taffy is all stretchy and not shaky at all.

I mentioned this to a black friend who laughed and said, "That's not what that means, little white one." So, I Googled.

Urban Dictionary:
Quote:
(n)This is a slang term for the female genitalia-- more specifically, the labia minora-- so termed for it's resemblance to stretched (pink) laffy taffy. Therefore, the term may also carry with it connotation of excessive sexual intercourse which can result in a stretched or elongated labia minora.
That ho had so much sex, when she spreads her legs, Willy Wonka himself would envy her Laffy Taffy.
Ew. Ew. EW. No, D4L, I will not shake my vag lips at you. Sorry.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus waltz View Post
Then again, this is R. Kelly. His type of girl wasn't born when "Murder, She Wrote" was on.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:38 PM

Is this the same kind of thing as Kanye's line "how could you be so Dr. Evil" ? Cause that's at least as dumb.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiosaBellissima View Post
You can ride it. Duh.
It has to do with her ass and thighs, also. Big booty + thick thighs = Thoroughbred.

I blame my intake of rap music from a young age for my adult penchant for big asses. Thank you rap music. Thank you.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:44 PM

To all these possible derivations, may I add this? Murder, He Says was a comic WWII-era hit for Betty Hutton about a relationship in which her love interest used to say "murder!" during their intimate moments.

Murder being 1940's slang for superduper or excellent.

Last edited by RhapsodyInBlue; 12-27-2009 at 12:46 PM..
Old 12-27-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodyInBlue View Post
Murder being 1940's slang for superduper or excellent.

The 40's were bleak, weren't they.