The 3D in Avatar

It seems Avatar uses a new-fangled kind of 3D that only uses one projector. I have a few questions about it, and I’m hoping someone on this board knows the answers.

1. Can someone who’s blind in one eye see the 3D with this new method?

2. If not, and someone who’s blind in one eye goes to the 3D version, does it at least look normal?

My husband is 90% blind in one eye. We went to see Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D a while back. He couldn’t see the 3D, and to make matters worse, the screen looked just a tiny bit fuzzy and gave him a headache when he looked at it, so he couldn’t even enjoy it as a 2D movie.

We’re going to see Avatar together, and we’d both really like to see it in 3D. Even if he can’t see it, it would be nice if we could go to a 3D showing (so at least I can see it in 3D) without him getting a massive headache.

Two related threads.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=544357&highlight=avatar

Have him wear the glasses.

No.

Yes, or so I would assume. As GaryGnu says, the glasses are necessary to make sure each eye only receives the right image. Not wearing the glasses means both eyes will see both overlapping images, which is bad.

Ah, sorry, should have searched before I posted.

Oh well, at least we can still go together to see the 3D one, even if he doesn’t get to see the nifty 3D effects.

This may be a stupid question, but if your husband is 90% blind in one eye, can he see 3D in real life? I would guess that if you have no depth perception in real life, then you’re probably not going to see it on a movie screen.

As discussed in the other threads linked above, people get a significant amount of 3D information from parallax, by moving their head. While watching Avatar in 3D, I found myself trying more than once trying to move my head to see around objects on the screen. Here is a demo for a single-user system that relies only on head movement for a 3D effect.

That’s pretty amazing. Then he started using the second wiimote, and I about crapped.

:eek: Holy crap! That’s freaking amazing!

I’m probably qualified to answer this, since I’m largely blind in my left eye:

1. I did not see the “3-D” effects, even though the rest of the audience did.
  2. It looked normal when I had the glasses on.

You might want to talk to the manager of the theater - if they have 3-d and 2-d versions playing, tell her the situation and ask if you could buy a 3-d ticket and, if no-go, would it be possible to go to a later 2-d showing?

Remember though that we are seeing the whole thing on a 2D screen. I wonder if it works as well in actual 3D. The room itself is REAL, but it still doesn’t seem like it’s 3D. Waht we are seeing only simulates 2.5D.

I would think that, for the system to work really well, the effects would need to be combined-paralax AND stereoscope. Dual polarization TVs would output two different views at different polarizations, and the glasses would be the ones you use at the movies, with the infrared LEDs attached. (I guess you could also use shutter glasses, but I think it’s better to have the glasses be passive.)