Are we just ignoring Der Trihs (This isn't a Pitting, but I don't know where else to put it.)

As I said, this isn’t a Pitting - but I’m not sure where else to drop it, since it is at elast a very insulting thing that the topic has been raised. I’ve seen in most GD threads that nobody responds to Der Trihs. Is this sort of an unofficial rule? Do we just not want to deal with him anymore?

I usually skip over his posts, no matter where I see them. I can’t imagine responding to one. I may have done so years ago, I can’t recall.

Unofficial rule? People can respond to Der Trihs if they see fit - it’s not obligatory or anything.

Granted, Der may feel like Lewis Morris, but it’s not like there’s a secret “Ignore Der!” board about the place…

Huh? I often see people agree with Der Trihs, or engaging in debate with him. I’m sorry, but I think the ignoring you see shows a bit of biased thinking on your part.

No. Some posters respond to him. Particularly when in moods of deep self-hate. The only real ignoring comes from the direction of the board administration. Evidently, constantly spewing hate speech and being a Jerk are board rules that he has a Get Out Of Jail Free card on.

You might want to check ATMB, as he’s being mentioned in a few current threads there.

Eh, I usually skip his posts. I don’t think he ought to be banned, as magellan evidently does, but you can more or less count on him to bring up the same basic points regardless of the topic being discussed. Once you’ve read three or four of his posts, you’ve pretty much read everything he has to say on any topic whatsoever, and there isn’t any reason to read any future posts.

To be fair, he’s hardly the only poster whose posts I ignore for basically the same reason.

Der Trihs is just straight up stupid. That’s really all there is to it. He’s hateful, mean, and cynical. Those traits combined lead to a rather unpleasant little fellow.

I respond to him in fits of pique, but I usually skim his posts or simply scroll past them entirely.

On some things he can be interesting. If it’s not one of his hot-button hate issues, he can be downright pleasant, such as in Cafe Society. But when he is showcasing his hate, which is more often than not, he’s just a bore.

He’s singularly incapable of grasping nuance and most of what he says falls into the ‘not even wrong’ category. He’s much more capable on technical issues than social ones. So if he says something about science he might have something to say. But if he says anything about politics/religion or human behavior, he simply does not get it. He’s a stopped clock, right twice a day.

I don’t think he is taken very seriously on this board. But then again, maybe I am not either. :wink:

While I’ve made no secret of my geenral dislike for everything he says (in GD and usually the Pit), I think others’ posts here demonstrate I’m not making shit up for my amusement. Given that, I think I deserve an apology, though I doubt I’ll get one.

Every now and then I agree with something he says, but yeah, for the most part, there’s no point in responding. On some issues he might as well be a bot.

QFT

So do I (doubt that you’ll get one, that is, not that you deserve one). To state that one deserves an apology is to stop deserving an apology.

That said, I’ve also observed some of his more – militantly – phrased assertions just kind of lay there, like a turd in a punchbowl. Even (or perhaps especially) when the factual accuracy of the items underlying the assertion is supportable.

Sometimes, I feel like saying “Dude, go be on someone else’s side for a while. We’ll get this.” But then, it hardly seems worth the trouble. So I don’t bother.

Per Tom, that’s the reason he hasn’t been warned (or warned often): since most people ignore him, he’s not a distraction therefore he doesn’t accumulate warning and thus doesn’t get banned.

So if his “turds in the punchbowl” style of threadshitting and trolling bother you, I’d suggest you report every single post he makes of that nature. Extra points for liberal posters reporting, since if conservatives report him, it apparently just demonstrates “confirmation bias” on the part of conservatives.

:rolleyes:

Your obession with this is pathetic. And the right winger’s paranoid at alleged moderator bias is fucking comical.

Der Tris if far from stupid. He isn’t diplomatic, I’ll grant. And he makes broad statements without the necessary caveats. But he’s much, much smarter than you.

For instance, he doesn’t believe in the magic healing power of massage. :smiley:

Psst… SB:

#1: First rule of Der Trihs is you do not talk about Der Trihs…
#2: The Second rule of Der Trihs is you DO NOT talk about Der Trihs.
#3: If someone says stop, goes limp, taps out, the pitting is over.
#4: Two guys to a pitting.
#5: One pitting of DT at a time
#6: No red shirts, no shoes
#7: Pittings will go on as long as they need to.
#8: If this is your first time reading Der Trihs, you have to pit him.

I don’t know. There’s this thread where he spouts his usual carp and the mod directs both him and magellan01 to keep it out of GD. In this thread, Marley23 is saying that it wasn’t just that magellan01 had responded, but that Der Trihs’ crap was disruptive in GD. I think. OTOH, in this thread Der Trihsis spouting the same shit with nary a word of warning. And a moderator (albeit not Marley23 is posting to the same thread, so it is not like the staff isn’t aware that it is going on.

So based on those two examples it would appear that the unofficial rule is that, as long as everybody ignores his stuff, it isn’t disruptive.

Regards,
Shodan

Actually on this topic, if Der Tris were banned, or warned with any regularity, worthies like Shodan would be a distant memory.

Shodan specializes in drive by ass-hattery without any merit. Der Tris’ postings are confrontational and divisive, but they generally are well thought out. And as far as I know, Der doesn’t lie or mislead like Shodan.

Perhaps they’re so busy checking to see if he’s disruptive they’ve forgotten to check if he’s breaking any other rules. That said, I don’t see him actually breaking any in the thread Shodan linked to.

Kinda like the Republicans attempt to kill fiscal responsibility last week?

I won’t comment on this, except to say that from your own posts, I ratehr think your politics heavily influence your views of what “well thought out” entails.