Red Dead Redemption

Basically billed as GTA Wild West, this game actually looks quite interesting. The multi-player looks particularly interesting, as the “lobby” system is more like a minigame with quests and such of it’s own. You can form posses and such and then all go into a death match or whatever you want, or just go after experience points by doing hunting/fetch quests. Good article on it here.

Any thoughts on the game? I was vastly disappointed by GTA4 so I’m holding out till I hear player reviews on this one, but it looks very promising.

It releases May 18th

I am looking forward to this game. This looks to be everything GUN promised to be, but wasn’t.

And it takes place in 1908, so you can have automatic pistols, like a broomstick Mauser. The confluence of old West and early-20th century tech should make for some compelling gameplay.

While I liked GTA IV’s single player, the multiplayer is utterly retarded. But based on the video preview, and IGN’s recent hands-on, I’d say Rockstar learned its lessons. This is going to by my biggest time sink over the summer.

Yea the setting is very promising.

My main concern atm is that there will simply be too much dead space. There needs to be wilderness and such for the time period, obviously, but my worry is that it will be filled with glorified fetch quests (a few aren’t bad, but constant fetch quests are annoying) or just large tracks of land you have to traverse to get from one mission to the next. Hence my wait-and-see attitude. (After playing the blur demo on XBL, I’m honestly looking forward to that game more than RDR, but that thread doesn’t seem to be going anywhere so, ya…)

luckily I get my bonus at the end of this month, so I can pick up a new tv and a couple games :smiley:

Looks very interesting indeed, might have to pick this one up. Especially interested in the RPG elements, the honourable/dishonourable and fame mechanics.

The west is always fun, very rich in gameplay opportunities. Don’t give two shits about the multiplayer. Will wait for reviews to come in before making my mind up.

I’m really excited for this one. I love anything from that ‘end of the old west’ time period and I love GTA. A game combining the two could be spectacular if it’s done well. It’s the game I’ve wanted to play ever since I was a kid. I’ve been burned before by games with awesome concepts that turned out terrible so I usually try not to get my hopes up too much, but this time it’s hard not to.

I’m glad Mario Galaxy 2 comes out later that week, if Red Dead is terrible it’s going to take something really good to defuse my nerd rage.

Yep. The single player for GTAIV was a helluva experience, but the multiplayer killed a lot of replayability. I hope Rockstar did learn some lessons, though. I’m rather intrigued.

Woo-hoo! I just now got an Amazon gift certificate as an award through work. I’m so pre-ordering this when I get home tonight.

nice! I’m getting my bonus end of this month and am using it to buy a new HD monitor for my gaming needs and probably a couple games on top of that, including blur and most likely RDR. Here’s for getting new stuff! :wink:

The game looks awesome but I’ll be interested to see if it gets a PC release…