Old 06-03-2010, 09:34 PM

I'm a guy and I don't like sports

There, I said it out loud.

I'm a male, over 50, but I never liked sports at all. I'm posting this because I get a lot of weird vibes from other guys who don't know quite what to make of this. Lots of small talk between guys involves sports (mostly basketball/football/baseball around here), and I can't really participate. Lots of guys simply don't know what else to talk about.

In business, it is sort of an icebreaker. I have several contacts who always launch into sports talk, and I wonder what they think when I can never offer anything back besides "Yup, you got that right", or whatever BS I can string together. It makes me feel like some sort of outcast weirdo. I can never tell you who is in the running for whatever championship.

I'm OK with it. The women in my life seem to really dig my independence from the sports tit. Funny thing, my dad was the same way. I'm just wondering how many other Dope guys are like this?

For the record, I do like watching the Olympics, or at least I did until recent years, when I feel it started getting WAY over-commercialized, and they started letting some pros in. I also enjoy a wee bit of open wheel auto racing, but cannot stand Nascar. Don't get me started on publicly financed sports stadiums, because my head will explode.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:44 PM

I also do not care about pro sports. I'm mildly, very mildly, interested in baseball, but don't know enough to have an intelligent conversation about it. And yes, it does put me in a weird position sometimes. I get the feeling some people think I'm being intentionally obtuse if I respond to a sports thing with a blank look. I'm not, I just really don't know much about the subject, and wouldn't know how to have a conversation about it.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:06 PM

If you just want to pick up enough to bluff your way through social stuff, listen to ESPN radio while you drive to work. You'll probably catch the major headlines of the day, and have a little more ammo, so to speak.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:13 PM

My husband also does not like sports. He used to read the headlines so that he would not be caught out and embarrassed that he didn't know the latest game scores. He has been known to turn on the last 20 minutes of the SuperBowl so he can fake it the next day.

He also hates to golf. Being in banking, this is problematic. Fortunately (sad to say), he was in a car accident many years ago that messed up his left hand a bit. Not enough to impair his mobility, but it left one knuckle looking weird. He excuses his poor game on this. It seems to work.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:16 PM

I'm 37 and am entirely disinterested in all sports. Always have been, so believe me when I say I feel your social small-talk pain (especially now with two jersey-wearing brother-in-laws who are heavily into sports).

However, I am very competitive, and do enjoy to play some sports, but not often especially as I get older and more busy with my career and family.

But mainly, to fill my competitive blood-lust, I play strategic board games, cards, and some RTS PC games.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:23 PM

Mr. HP also hates sports. You are not alone.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 PM

Aside from an occasional World Series and watching Iowa State get their a kicked, I really don't give a damn, either. But then again, I'm way off the guy radar.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Another over-50 guy who couldn't care less about sports. In fact, I get annoyed at the prevalence of sports in popular culture; I've bitched here before about how often Sunday night television shows are delayed because of afternoon sports broadcasts. Also, the ability to watch sports shows seems to be used as a major selling point for large-screen TVs and cable/satellite systems.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:02 PM

Another over 50ish guy who doesn't give a damn about sports, but I watch PLENTY of games.

Through an odd twist of fate my wife is a major sports nut. Right now she is watching the Lakers/Celtics game while I am trying to find something interesting to read on the internet. Fortunatly I think it's the playoffs so there won't be too much more basketball, just baseball,....until football season starts.

Speaking of basketball, are you aware of March Madness? The college basketball team playoffs last all goddamn month long! All. Damn. March! I never knew there were that many colleges in the entire country, but there are, and they all play basketball in March. All. Goddamn. Month!

Oh well, at least it's not football season yet. Pittsburg fucking Steelers! Got to put on the jersey and waive the Terrible Towel.

I can hardly wait.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:03 PM

I'm the same. Couldn't care less. One of my brothers is a complete sports fanatic, the other is more like me. My dad watches a game occasionally, but doesn't really follow anything.

Small talk can be a problem, though more so with casual acquaintances or business relationships than with true friends and family. If I'm inclined to try and change the subject I'll say something to the effect of "I just don't have time to follow anything what with all the time I spend on - " then I'll list a couple hobbies or interests in hopes of finding some other trivial thing to talk about.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:11 PM

You're not alone;

I'm a male, aged 29. I don't hate or dislike sports, I just have zero interest in them whatsoever.

I played plenty of sports through high school - baseball, basketball, soccer. I was pretty average at baseball and basketball, maybe a shade above average in soccer.

Even as a kid - I really wondered WTF the big deal was. I never had a favorite team and never felt any sort of connection with any athlete. I quit all sports around my junior year of high school to join the debate team and the jazz ensemble.

I don't regret any of my athletic history. Hell, the healthiest I've ever been was when I was busting my ass on the sophomore Basketball and Soccer teams. I have fond memories of Little League Baseball. I just don't feel compelled to ever do that again. It was fun, but it was always sort of - well, I'm not passionate about this, but all my friends are doing it, so I'll stick it out.

I can relate completely with the "work-related sports awkwardness". I work in an industry that is completely male dominated with a strong blue-collar slant. 98% of the guys I work with are all passionate sports fans and I just really can't bring myself to even fake an interest.

Like you, I get by with a lot of non-committal and non-judgmental statements - "Yeah, that was quite a game. Think they have a shot this year?" ...etc, etc.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghardester View Post
Pittsburg fucking Steelers!
Ahem -- that's PittsburgH. Get it right, dammit!
Old 06-04-2010, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

I'm a guy and I don't like sports either.

Except for the Olympics, which I've been watching avidly every four years since 1972. Every two years since 1992.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:13 AM

I don't get how this seems to be such a badge of honor for you all.

You don't like sports?

Huzzah!!!

For some it's not even good enough that they hate sports, but seem to want extra points because their spouses and kids hate sports.

I don't get it.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanAter View Post

You don't like sports?

Huzzah!!!

For some it's not even good enough that they hate sports, but seem to want extra points because their spouses and kids hate sports.

I don't get it.

I only see posters explaining that they don't like sports, and how they deal with other people due to their lack of knowledge on the subject. No one is gloating.

To address the OP: almost 39 here, and I don't care for sports either. Like someone else said, I don't hate them, there's just very little interest. The exceptions are a tiny interest in the Dodgers and the Sharks - if I hear one of them has made the playoffs, I'll pay a bit of attention. Not enough that I'd watch a game, but enough to keep up with the scores, and be bummed when they inevitably lose.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:40 AM

ShermanAter, you're right you don't get it. It's not getting on the "go me, I hate sports" bandwagon, he's saying when most males are into sports and you are not, it makes for awkward conversation. Think if you were in the break room at work and people were talking like they are in this thread. Now, imagine that you think Star Wars is boring and stupid and you have NO interest in it. Suddenly the Star Wars nerds start talking to you about it, and what do you say?

I don't know nor care about any kind of sporting events at all. My parents weren't into it either, and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. There's a whole social aspect and culture with watching sports, and I was never exposed to that. Just the other day I was invited to watch the Lakers Celtics game at a sports bar, I couldn't think of a more boring time!
Old 06-04-2010, 04:35 AM

I'm a guy who doesn't like sports too - I have to make a conscious effort to remember the main heads from the sports pages so I am not a total noob in conversation with other guys.

Which is curious because I do like noncompetitive physical activity - spend an hour per day at average in gymnastics group, running, swimming and strength training, plus a group hike on Sundays.

Last edited by Mops; 06-04-2010 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:38 AM

I was also born without the sports gene. What I don't get is the sheer amount of time it takes to be a sports fan. There's not just all the incredibly long games you have to watch, but you also have to keep track of dozens of teams and hundreds of players, managers, agents, umpires, journalists, what have you. I honestly don't know how people do it. If I tried really hard, I might be able to free up enough time to watch a game every week. Maybe.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

It may sound odd: I don't much care for football but I like to watch the Cowboys play.

For me, it has more to do with a gladiator type entertainment than anything else. In other words, I get a kick out of saying: "Ha ha, my city kicks your city's ass!" (or not)

But yeah, I don't consider myself a fan either.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
I don't get it.
No, you don't.

Chalk me up as another guy who just can't get into it. When someone asks me "Hey, what about those Red Sox/Celtics/Pats/Bruins", my eyes just glaze over. And it's like I've thrown a monkey wrench into their machinery. They just don't know how to respond.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:52 AM

I think men who don't like sports are the male version of women (like me) who are disinterested in shoes. I think we're lacking a gene or something.

Last edited by elfkin477; 06-04-2010 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

My hubby just turned 50. On occasion (meaning maybe twice) we've lucked into free tickets to see the Orioles play baseball in Baltimore (when we lived in the area), and have gone and enjoyed ourselves. If his best friend has a Super Bowl party, he'll go, and even spring for a 12-pack of beer (even though he hates beer). But otherwise, his idea of 'watching sports' consists of watching DVR'd episodes of Leverage, where Elliott kicks the crap out of somebody.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:04 AM

Another guy who doesn't like sports, and this in the UK where premiership football has pretty much replaced religion as the focus of the population's energy and devotion. But then I am gay so it pretty much goes with the territory.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

In my house, I'm the football and NASCAR widow. I'm not allowed to touch the remote or alter the tuning schedule, either.

I watch a lot of John Wayne and Clint Eastwood movies from Netflix Instant on my PC to compensate, however.

Last edited by VunderBob; 06-04-2010 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Fixed a ytpo
Old 06-04-2010, 07:10 AM

You're all fags, you know. KIDDING!

I like sports, but am not limited to them. I think you hit on it re: guys just not knowing what else to talk about, plus there's lots of things guys shouldn't talk about in a business/social situation, i.e. politics, religion, etc. Sports not only provides a relatively neutral topic, but there's also the mock warfare aspect of it, so that men can talk like ersatz warriors in terms of the analogies, etc.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

I don't care about following any professional sports. I don't watch the Superbowl. I don't watch the Olympics,

I do like participating -- I play racquetball and ski. I've played baseball, softball, and ultimate frisbee on teams. But I don't even like watching other people play ythe sports i myself play. And especially not on TV.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:36 AM
BANNED

Hey, I find it hard to trust people who don't like dogs. And if someone told me they didn't like music, I'd look at them as if they had 2 heads.

All sport is, is theatre for those who like their scripts to follow a rigid format.

Last edited by ivan astikov; 06-04-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:37 AM

I like playing sports well enough but just can't get into watching them. When I'm hanging around and the topic turns to professional sports I have to just mumble .. "err, I'm not into [fill in sport type]". I have to hope that I picked the correct sport based on the names mentioned.

As An Arky says, it provides a neutral topic and it also allows guys to challenge each other in a safe and friendly way. But I can't bring myself to bother.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:45 AM

I love you all, my new support group!

Good to see some other very similar views. Someone made a comment about the time involved to follow sports, and I agree. I never have to read the sports section of the paper (biggest section in our local rag), and when the sports segment comes on during the local news, I have plenty of time to do the dishes.

An Arky made a comparison to war, and I think he hit it. I guess it is how we beat our chests when we are not out hunting and gathering.

I never did get the "My city is better than your city" thing either. If fact, none of these teams have anything to do with geography, and I don't think they "represent" my city. They are simply businesses competing with each other. I can almost see a Monty Python type sketch: "I bet Walmart is going to kick Target's ASS this weekend, HUZZAH!"

Last edited by campp; 06-04-2010 at 07:46 AM. Reason: spelling counts
Old 06-04-2010, 07:46 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkMeister View Post
Another over-50 guy who couldn't care less about sports. In fact, I get annoyed at the prevalence of sports in popular culture;
What he said.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:51 AM
BANNED

I can fully relate to it from the vicarious living aspect, but I too think people take sports far too seriously. Both the participants and the spectators. If there was the same amount of organisational time put into solving this planet's problems, just think what could be achieved.

Still, it keeps our minds off the front pages of our newspapers.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
Chalk me up as another guy who just can't get into it. When someone asks me "Hey, what about those Red Sox/Celtics/Pats/Bruins", my eyes just glaze over. And it's like I've thrown a monkey wrench into their machinery. They just don't know how to respond.
*sigh* You are just amazing.

Iím female, but Iíve always felt like there is something essential lacking in me because I not only donít like sports, I canít comprehend people who do. Itís obvious that theyíre not faking it, and thereís so many of them that I must be the freak, but itís just alien to me.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:14 AM

I know a middle aged man who used to get totally baked and sit watching football on TV, bag of cheese doodles and Diet Coke on hand. When he quit his habit, he said sitting in front of the tube for hours watching The Game lost all of its appeal - he realized there were better uses of his time. Now he looks at the game for a brief time, just out of curiosity, but really has no more burning interest in it.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Itís obvious that theyíre not faking it, and thereís so many of them that I must be the freak, but itís just alien to me.
You, my dear, are anything but a freak.

But I won't mind if you want to get a little freaky.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Iím female, but Iíve always felt like there is something essential lacking in me because I not only donít like sports, I canít comprehend people who do.
I can comprehend that others do, in that I'm aware there are things I'm very interested in that other people couldn't give a shit about so it's easy to imagine what it must be like to be into sports and encounter someone who isn't. What I can't do it get why someone would be into sports at a fanatic level, particularly those who follows sports wider than a particular team and memorise statistics, transfer details, batting/goal histories or whatever for individual players. Why why why????

I think the thing I understand least about following sports is the idea of sports journalism. Whenever I glance at articles in the sports pages over someone's shoulder its a recounting of a game or event (seriously, that's interesting to read?) or paragraphs of speculation about what might happen later in a season if this or that happens (snore).
Old 06-04-2010, 08:31 AM

49yo male here.

Don't care about organized sports either. Basketball playoff time drives me nuts. It never seems to end.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:34 AM

I like playing sports, but watching a sporting event is, for me, less of a thrilling adventure than watching paint dry.

My wife, on the other hand, loves to watch football.

As a kid, I used to nap on the couch while my mom watched football... so now, whenever I hear that ambient crowd roar, I immediately start yawning.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Speaking of basketball, are you aware of March Madness? The college basketball team playoffs last all goddamn month long! All. Damn. March! I never knew there were that many colleges in the entire country, but there are, and they all play basketball in March. All. Goddamn. Month!
During March Madness the local CBS affiliate shifted most of their prime time programming to 2-5 AM so they could show the basketball games live. Of course, the shows did not are exactly at the scheduled times even then, so I ended up missing the last ten minutes of them until I caught on and reprogrammed my DVR to record longer than usual.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:46 AM

30 year old male, I could care less as well. I enjoy going to a live game, but have no interest in televised games, following teams, or care who's beating who. Basketball isn't too bad locally unless it's the playoffs, but football season in the bane of my existence. TV, radio, everything is highjacked by the NFL for what seems like an eternity of boring analysis and armchair quarterbacking. ugh. I have no problem telling people that I don't know or care about it, but they always think i'm weird. Since that's par for course with me, it doesn't cause too much fuss.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:42 AM

Count me in. I am totally disinterested in sports and even more so in the chauvinism (local, national, whatever) that comes with it, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a cricket (and I'm not even British) or football game if they are exciting enough. Ice hockey, on the other hand, is just plain boring (not to mention baseball or American football).
Old 06-04-2010, 10:49 AM

Turning 50 this year, and will rarely - if ever - turn on a pro sports game for entertainment. Exceptions would be the superbowl as our family cooks chili and watches mainly for the ads and the halftime, and now I'm watching the Hawks in the Cup finals as my daughter is a big fan (at least the games that are on a channel I get. Fucking Versus?!) But you couldn't pay me to watch a baseball game on TV or in person.

The only sports I'll regularly watch on TV are golf and MMA.

But I'll happily engage in just about any pick-up game going.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:51 AM

An older guy on the bus tried to strike up a conversation about the local baseball team, and I grinned sheepishly and told him I'm not a sports fan. He said, "Oh, then I bet you're into computers, right?"

Er, guilty as charged. I think he might be onto something.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:06 AM

One of my favorite lines I read recently was from - I think - a Richard Stark "Parker" novel. In one scene he walked into a bar, and described the guys discussing sports as (paraphrase) "celebrating and regretting other people's successes and failures."

I'm sure it is not entirely fair or universally applicable, but when someone is going on and on about some athlete or team's accomplishments, a part of me often wonders "So have YOU done anything lately?"
Old 06-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Oh man, this thread is not doing any favors for my "Dopers I'd Like to Date" list.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:52 PM

Motorcycle riding, camping, sailing, fishing, hiking, sure! Organized, high priced, commercially endorsed, overpaid athletes on steroids epitomizing the greed and wealth of the few, not so much.
but what do I know?

later, Tom.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Just tell us you don't watch sports, we really don't give a shit one way or the other.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Bailey View Post
Agreed. Just tell us you don't watch sports, we really don't give a shit one way or the other.
That's exactly what I did. Did you actually read anything posted?

And if you don't give a shit, why are you even reading this forum? Or posting to it?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Another over 50ish guy who doesn't give a damn about sports, but I watch PLENTY of games. Through an odd twist of fate my wife is a major sports nut.
This would be us. My husband is not a huge sports fan at all. I, however, adore both pro and college football, college basketball and the Indy Racing League. Nascar is okay. And I'm insufferable during the Iditarod.

Just for the record, hubby is almost 42, and I'm almost 46.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campp View Post
That's exactly what I did. Did you actually read anything posted?
Yeah I did. In it you say that you just mindless agree with whatever they're saying about sports. Just say you don't watch sports. We that watch sports don't care that you don't watch. We're not going to give you a swirlie or something.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:06 PM

I was going to post that all you guys who don't like sports are all closeted homosexuals but y'all don't know me well enough to know that I would only be making a silly remark for the fun of it.

As it is, I am pretty much the only member of my cadre who enjoys sports and I do so because of the wargame aspect not the sweaty rah-rah aspect of it.

But you all are still gay.
;-)