A Long and Ranty Treatise on Motherhood

This thread is about having a mother and being a mother. I have been subject to the forces of intense emotion lately and I thought it might do me some good to talk about it.

I made a mistake this month, one that in retrospect seems rather foolish and naive. I have a mother who is mentally ill, and I love her despite the fact that she made my childhood a living hell. I decided to take a trip home to Michigan and spend a week alone with her. I’ve processed a lot of the stuff she did to me when I was a kid, so I thought things were all resolved emotionally. And besides, she seemed much more realistic and willing to acknowledge that the things she did were wrong.

At first my time with her was great, but the more time I spent with her the more it became apparent she is just as delusional as ever. In addition to constructing this elaborate false public narrative in which she was chronically abused by her ex, she’s obviously still in denial about the extent of the damage she did to me. She isn’t really capable of carrying on a conversation. It’s more like she’s talking and you happen to be there. And always about the same thing.

The weird emotional stuff started when I was hanging out with her friends. She said she wanted to show me off, because unlike a lot of her friends’ kids, I’m independent and financially/emotionally stable. At one point, this elderly neighbor of hers turns to me and says, ‘‘Your mother is such a good person. She really is extraordinary.’’ She was referring to my Mom’s imaginary past where she is a battered housewife who bravely overcame adversity to live independently. My Mom reinforces this narrative a lot. She did sustain an injury when her ex husband shoved her, true. She leaves out the fact that she abused him for years before he ever retaliated, and that she was probably attacking him when he pushed her.

To be honest, I kind of wanted to vomit all over my shoes. It was tempting to reminisce about some special times I’ve shared with my extraordinary mother. ''Ah, yes, Susan, I’ll never forget that memorable time I was eleven. Mom’s exact words, as I remember them: ‘‘Do I have to go into my bedroom and get your Dad’s shotgun and shoot you in the face? Is that what you want? Do I have to kill you to shut you up?’’ She was screaming almost to the point of incoherence and had already destroyed half the shit in my bedroom at that point, and I had my back flat against the wall and didn’t doubt for a second that if I said another word I was going to die. So I just closed my eyes and tried not to make a sound. It was somewhat difficult because I was already sobbing pretty heavily. Mom’s explanation for this incident was, ‘‘It’s okay because I really wasn’t going to kill you. I was in complete control. I just wanted to scare you into shutting up.’’ Trust me; she wasn’t in control. But it sure worked like a charm.

So I really wasn’t sure what to say to this lady. I don’t really want to topple the house of cards as I’m really glad my Mom has a social life and people who like her, but I literally had nothing constructive to say in response. I think I said something like, ‘‘She has grown a lot.’’ When my mother heard this, to her credit, she did say something along the lines of, ‘‘Well, I’m not the person I used to be.’’ That is 100% accurate.

Still, I felt like shit. I was staying in the motel room adjacent to hers so I just locked myself in there and cried. My mother’s situation and psychological condition is something I thought I had really come to terms with, and suddenly it’s hitting me all over again. I felt better after a good cry, but I really should have taken the hint and gotten the hell out there.

Then I get the emotional double-whammy. My husband and I are planning to adopt a child, and though I need to finish school first, it’s been heavy on my mind lately. While I’m sitting there in the motel room chatting with my Mom, I get a message from one of my closest friends from junior high and high school, a woman who had a very similar family history and who also ended up leaving home at 17.

She said, in essence, that she was having a baby she couldn’t keep and was looking for a family for said baby. She said it was killing her to have to guess who would best take care of her child when she knew nothing about the prospective parents. She needed someone who wouldn’t attempt to whitewash the child’s race (my friend is biracial.) She said she thought I would make a wonderful mother for her child, if I was interested.

Something about the whole thing was like a punch in the gut. I couldn’t believe it was really happening. It’s one thing to talk about adoption and it’s another thing entirely to have a theoretical child. For that hour or whatever as I really thought about the possibility of adopting my friend’s child, it was like I was pregnant. I can’t explain it. I’ve never experienced anything like it. I didn’t realize how badly I wanted this until it happened, because I was willing to do practically anything to make it work.

Prior to this my husband and I had planned in terms of years, not months. It felt like absolute insanity to me, but my Mom was trying to convince me that you are never prepared for a child. She got pregnant with me at 19 and was thrown out of her house. She is still bitter about having to raise me and go to school on her own. She told me all these stories about how she almost gave me up for adoption, she had a family selected and everything and then changed her mind because, ‘‘I knew I would make mistakes, but I figured at least I would be the one who was making them.’’ She kept me, she said, because she wanted to ensure my well-being.

And I was just soaking it up, deep inside thinking, ‘‘Is this for real? Is my mother of all people actually giving me parenting advice?’’ And she was talking about how she would be willing to move out to Jersey and help me care for the child while Sr. Olives and I finished school, and I was fucking considering it.

And then, somehow, the conversation took a turn for the uncomfortable. At some point it stopped being this amazing emotional bonding experience and started being all about her perpetual victimization. And then she started talking about the ‘‘mistakes’’ she made with me, and how she had assumed it was okay because at least she wasn’t raising me as badly as she was raised. And when I challenged this – because nothing I’ve heard about my grandfather’s temper seems much different than what I grew up with – she started getting tense and defensive, saying shit like, ‘‘You can’t possibly comprehend what it was like to be raised that way’’ and ‘‘I made mistakes, but you had it so much better, you could have never handled my childhood.’’ Then she would tell me anecdotes that sounded exactly like what I went through… only without the constant emotional abuse… and expect me to react with horror to what she had endured. ‘‘But all parents make mistakes,’’ she said. ‘‘Once you’re a parent, you’ll understand.’’

I felt… so intensely, suddenly angry. I wanted to stand up and say, ‘‘You didn’t ‘make mistakes’ you daft bitch, you physically and emotionally abused me, threatened to kill me on more than one occasion, intentionally broke my shit and punched holes in my doors, mocked me when I cried, tore up my letters of apology when I was 7 years old, screamed at me routinely about what a lazy, self-absorbed, irresponsible, unloveable person I was, told me I made you sick to your stomach and delighted in my suffering. You made me feel like I wasn’t even human. I would slit my throat before I’d ever do that to a child.’’

I can’t even believe that after all the shit she put me through, and after my willingness to put the past aside and move on with her, she had the gall to turn this into some kind of pissing contest over who had it worse. She has always treated me like a threat – maybe because I am too honest for her, because unlike my mother, I DID stand up for myself as a kid, best as I could, by telling her to her face that she was being abusive and that she was causing me pain, even though the consequence for talking back was more abuse and more pain.

As she prattled on and on and on, I then got a message from my friend revealing that my potential baby was in fact due in just three months – at exactly the same time I start my final year of grad school and a new internship. The timing couldn’t be worse, really. I don’t think it would be fair to the kid to take on the parenting thing in the midst of so many other demands, and I cannot in good conscience put off school. So I guess my short pregnancy miscarried. Disappointment doesn’t even begin to cover it.

I didn’t fight with my mother. Instead, I listened to her drone on for several hours, tried to help her as best I could to learn to deal with her feelings constructively, and then went to bed too late.

I spent the drive home (about 12 hours) sobbing off and on. I am so angry. I am not really an angry or grudgy person, not really the sort of person to sustain this level of rage. But damn it I am pissed off. It felt like a slap in the face to the gift I gave her – my forgiveness. Not only that, but I feel like she was using me, even the attempt to show me off to her friends doesn’t make me feel good. Now it feels more like she is trying to take credit for who I turned out to be. I am so fucking tired of giving a shit, you know? It would be so much easier if I didn’t love her so much. I was raised by a child, and in that vein, I always had to put her needs ahead of my own, to make sure she was okay even when I wasn’t. I hate that feeling; it makes me feel so alone. I was so alone as a kid, so trapped with her bizarre delusional interpretation of reality, and I think being with her this summer just kind of recreated that.

I know this was my mistake, for getting my hopes up that she could really ever change and be healthy. I dropped my boundaries and I exposed my vulnerability to her. Never again. It’s time for this ‘‘nostalgic for Michigan and my family’’ shit to end. I talk a great deal lately about ‘‘honoring my roots,’’ but I’m beginning to think that is a really bad idea. There is nothing to honor there. I am not anything like the vast majority of my family members. They ought to take up as little mental space as humanly possible. I might as well have been born on a different planet.

And on top of this, I want to be a mother so damn bad. I didn’t even know how bad until all this happened. Even though I’m not even sure we could have pulled off a later delivery date, I am just crushed, and a part of me is trying to make it work even though it would be damn near impossible to be ready for a child in three months. It could still be years before we find the right match at the right time, at yet here is a woman I love offering me a child, an opportunity not only to fulfill our desire for parenthood and a child’s need for a home, but also to give the gift of peace of mind to someone I care about who is making the most difficult decision of her life. It feels so cruel to all of us to have to say no.

I’m not really sure the point of all this; just trying to sort through my feelings I guess. I’ve been crying a lot lately, but I don’t know if it’s grief for what I lost, or gratitude that I am not and will never be like her. That’s right, a part of me feels enormous gratitude for my life and the home that I built with my loving husband. What we have is so much better than anything she could even conceive. It was only a week, but I feel like I’m coming out of this whole thing older, wiser, and with even greater conviction to be the best damn mother imaginable.

For those of you who got all the way through this, thanks for listening.

Olives,

Christy

Aww, I’m really sorry that she destroyed your room. :frowning: My dad used to do the same thing and the sense of total hopelessness and helplessness was overwhelming. Sometimes after he’d dumped all the drawers and turned over the bed, he’d go get the kitchen garbage, with raw meat scraps and eggshells and dump that on top of the pile he’d made in my room. Sometimes I wasn’t allowed to clean it so I’d have to find a spot on the floor to sleep.

Just letting you know you aren’t alone.

Christ, I feel guilty when I’m dredged out of bed at 4AM to change a diaper, and I feel resentment about it. I can’t imagine being so systematically cruel to someone I love. Christy and floaty, I’m sorry for your pain.

I read all of it. I’m going through a lot with my mother right now. She’s got a few weeks, maybe a month left to live. She has also reinvented her past, denies that she whipped us with a spatula, etc. She’s apparently forgotten how angry and frustrated she was the whole time she was raising us.
But she’s also done a lot of amazing things: Peace Corps in the jungle, hospice nurse, multiple-successful entrepreneur…
She doesn’t hold a candle to your mom, though. I feel better about mine now.
Being a parent is the only long term project I’ve carried through with and done a pretty decent job on, judging by how happy and well adjusted my son seems.
Thanks for sharing and good luck with everything.

I’m sorry this sucks so bad for you… :frowning:

I’d lose the Mother and take the baby.

You never will be truly ready for a baby, whether it’s 3 months or 30 years. Don’t say no - you’ll work it out :slight_smile:

It is always easy to mistake your getting healthier with someone else getting healthier. If you are becoming a better person, it doesn’t matter if your mother is getting better or not.

Because I think you need to give up that idea - that your mother is going to get better, and recognize that you are better. Or to validate what you feel about what she did to you. I don’t think that is going to happen.

I pray for your peace.

Regards,
Shodan

I want to believe this, but my program is tough – full-time coursework, hundreds of pages of reading a week, and a 24 hour weekly internship on top of that. My husband will be at least as busy as me if not more so, because he is working on a Ph.D. and will be defending his Master’s thesis around that time. We’re currently being supported by student loans and have zero job security. Even if I took it down to part-time, I would still have to take two courses and the internship, and I would lose some funding. We have not crunched the numbers but I seriously doubt we could afford it.

I recognize that a lot of people do well with far fewer resources, but is it really best for a newborn child to be raised in an environment where Mommy and Daddy are gone all day long and have homework at night? I’m very confused; it feels like me trying to make it work might just be trying to give into my own selfish desire to have a kid without really thinking about what it will be like for that kid. Yet I’m about to sit down with my husband and say, ‘‘Talk me out of this, because I can’t stop wanting this to happen.’’ He is always a nice voice of reason when I need it. If he thinks I’m not absolutely batshit insane, then maybe there’s a chance.

That’s what’s so frustrating about this. If the kid was due in the Spring, that might actually work, because I’m graduating then, and we could get a new lease and I could get a job and it would be okay. The adoption thing is so frustrating I’m tempted to say ‘‘screw it’’ and start trying for a baby, but I don’t really want to give birth at all. I’ve always felt like I was meant to adopt.

It’s none of my business, and I don’t have any kids. But I’d tell you to take the baby. You never think you’re ready, it sounds like the perfect situation, and you may not find that it’s so easy to adopt otherwise (I have friends who waited years and years) - you want it very badly and I think you should go for it.

ETA - You answered while I was composing - obviously your mom is a SERIOUS no-go for child care, but what about your husband’s family? If I had a baby now (which I will not be doing!) my mom would be keeping it during the day.

I don’t think anyone can fully let go of the idea that you’re supposed to have a mother who cares about you more than she does about herself. It’s OK to feel bad about not having a caring mother, but only if you don’t let her change the way you live your life.

I would make a determination on whether it’s possible for her to change - in your case the answer sounds like a no - and then I would stop hoping for her to change. You don’t need your mother anymore. You can have a family and people who care about you without her.

And Zsofia’s idea about looking into a relative caring for the baby sounds like a good idea.

Lots of people raise babies in your situation - because they have to. It’s okay to choose to not make your life incredibly difficult.

As for your mother, I’m sure she did the best she could, but her best was shit. I’m sure I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know when I say if you deal with her at all, make it on your terms, for as much as you can stand (and if what you can stand is no contact at all, that’s fine, too). I think you had a really good demonstration this weekend about why they say you forgive for you, not for the other person.

Last weekend I had a weird experience at my parent’s house where I got mad at my father for his behaviour; an attitude about something that I’ve struggled with since I was a teenager. It isn’'t even something we’ve talked about or that has come up in the past 10 years, and for the most part, I never even think about it. It seems so trivial compared to what you went through with your mom, but at the same time I know what it’s like to feel like you’ve suddenly been thrown back in time and everyone is filling the same roles they used to have back when you lived under the same roof. It’s really frustrating and disorienting.

You’ve always come across as a smart, caring, resourceful person, and so if you can make it work, and if it’s something both you and your husband truly wants, then adopt that child. My father-in-law went through his last year of med school with a newborn son. It’s ok to take more time to graduate, if having a child is that important to you (says she who is just a year or two older than you and definitely waiting until she graduates from her undergrad degree before even thinking about having kids!) Is it at all possible for one or both of you to defer your next year of schooling, so that one of you can work while the other studies, and then switch once the first one graduates? Is that something you’d even be willing to do, if your schools allow it? Don’t answer me - but look into it and think about it. In your line of work/studies, you know what resources are out there and available for young families…it’s ok for you to use them too.

Sit down with your husband, talk about what you want, talk about what you need, talk about what you know you can and cannot do and can and cannot give up. Crunch the numbers, both for this first year of difficulty and for the next couple of years if you really want to adopt. See what makes the most sense. Do not decide because of emotion…or at least not only that.

Good luck!

First of all: I read it all, every word, and I’m so sorry for what you went through then and what you’re going through now.

Second, I understand both your desire to be a mom and your very sensible reasons for wanting it not to be in three months. Yes, people manage with less, but most of us have this nice built in 40 week period to get used to the idea and make adjustments to their situations gradually.

I had a thought: is it at all possible that your friend could care for the baby until the spring? Either on her own, or moving in with you and your husband and working as a nanny for room and board? I know, that opens a whole can of worms re: possible regret and changing her mind and keeping custody, but I thought I’d throw it out there as a possibility to consider.

Thanks. I actually sat down and talked with my husband about this. Turns out he has been bordering on clinical depression lately due to school stress, and is really not ready to take on the responsibility in as soon as three months. He also has some reservations about adopting a child of color due to the racism in our family. We really are in a poor situation for adoption–no family members or even close friends living in state. The mother of the child is living in another state and she already has two children, so it’s not like she could live with us in our one-bedroom apartment.

What he told me is that he is willing to move forward sooner than originally planned, but he is not comfortable having a child until we both have our Master’s Degrees–he should receive his in January and I’ll graduate with mine in April.

We thought about it carefully and we think adoption may not be the best option for our first child due to the phase of life we’re in, the complications involved, and the fact that the process is painfully long and expensive.

So… I seriously put childbirth on the table, and he was very receptive. It was never my plan but… I think I could get into it. We’ve agreed to think it over for a couple of months, make sure it’s what we still both want, and then start trying. I know from advice on the Dope before that you can’t really plan on when you’re going to get pregnant, but we’ve decided to start trying in September, so that the soonest we would have a child is in May 2011.

That’s not at all what I was expecting, because the plan for years has been adoption, but at this point I want a kid so badly I really don’t care how we get it.

We’ve spent the last hour working on baby names and generally being gushy about the whole thing. No matter how bad I want to adopt my friend’s kid, I trust my husband when he tells me he won’t be ready for parenthood until next summer. And honestly next summer is sooner than we’ve ever discussed. The relief and happiness in him when we agreed to this is worth the wait for me. And if I am truly honest with myself, I know I’m not really ready until I have my degree as well. I could be a Mom in as soon as one year! :eek:

As far as my Mom goes, I’m generally pretty accepting of her inability to change – though really she has made a number of changes she deserves credit for. There was a time she would never even acknowledge she’d done anything wrong and would lose her shit if she perceived criticism. That she can honestly say she made mistakes that she regrets is a step forward, for sure.

I think this was just a case of too much quality time – things had been good long-distance for so long that I just sort of took it for granted that things were resolved. I let my guard down and got a good reminder why I live in another state.

Honestly it doesn’t seem as important now that me and my husband are planning to make our dreams of parenthood reality. There was a time I worried about the kind of parent I would make due to my upbringing, but now I have no doubt that I am nothing like her and never will be.

Shodan’s comment is short but spot on.

I’d seriously consider adopting the baby and arranging for some live-in help, if you can afford it (but not the baby’s mother). When I had my fourth, the other three kids were ages 5, 4, and 3. I worked full-time and had no help from my husband. He was actually more of a fifth child. Not the same situation as what you’re doing, but still very time-consuming.

You won’t be able to devote as much time to your baby as you’d like for a few months, but infants spend a lot of time sleeping anyway. :slight_smile:

ETA: Never mind. While I was typing, so were you. :slight_smile:

Sorry that you had such a horrible childhood.

No child deserves abuse.

From my very limited experience, your mother sounds familiar. Seems like abusers are very good at forgiving themselves.

Best wishes to you in becoming a parent what ever you decide.

Walt

I think your (Olive’s) plan is the most sensible one. I am more sorry than I can say about your time with your mother. I just had a similar realization this past weekend when my parents came for #1 son’s graduation. They were thoughtlessly hurtful and endlessly narcissistic. That IS them, but somehow when I’m not around them, I remember the best of them and the worst diminishes until I have morphed them in my head to Nice Parents.

That is one of the saddest things: losing the childhood dream that your family is a circle of people who love one another.

One of the best things: YOU can (and will) break this cycle with your own children someday. I think you are wise to wait and doubly so to discuss it all in depth with your husband.

And seriously? In future? Grandma only gets supervised visits, especially if the kidlet is under about age 10…

(((hugs))) What a difficult situation. Maybe you and your husband should sit down with some kind of counselor and think it through…I wish you the best, whatever happens.

I’m so sorry that you have been subjected to your mom. It’s wonderful that you’re growing and working on forgiveness, but yeah, unfortunately that doesn’t mean that she will ever get better.

I think your plan is sensible. I was not going to advise you to adopt a baby at the same time that you and your husband start heavy academic work (I would have said that one of you should defer in order to care for the child). I know you’ve always planned to adopt (and I can sympathize with that) but here’s hoping that you’ll have a wonderful time with your new plan. :slight_smile:

Have you talked to your department about taking a deferment for a year to care for the baby? They might be willing to work with you. They might also have a daycare/childcare sort of arrangement for their students and faculty. It’s worth asking at least what sort of resources they have for new mothers.

Then your husband can finish his degree and take over while you finish yours.

Olives, I think you’ve mentioned your painful past before on the boards, and I just want to say that I really admire the way you’ve come out of it such a strong and sensible person. If I ever face that kind of adversity I hope I handle it with half the grace and strength you’ve demonstrated.