Breastfeeding in public- Are you OK with it?

I’m still breastfeeding Irishbaby at 11 months- she refuses to take a bottle or cup if I am with her and won’t feed if her head is covered.

Now, I’m as discreet as possible- layered clothing, cardigans, not making a song and dance about it- but I feed her when she wants it.

So far I’ve never had anyone say anything, and I can’t say I’ve noticed any dirty looks.

So, are you squicked out, offended, aroused or not at all bothered by public breastfeeding?

I like boobs. I like babies, too. What’s the problem here?

Not at all bothered, and I’m not even bothered if you don’t smother your baby in layers of cardigans or blankets, either. Babies gots to eat!

Whether I’m squicked out depends precisely on how attractive the mother is. I’m never offended by it, though.

Of course I am OK with it - I don’t really understand people who aren’t.
That being said, I want to share a story. Once about two years ago I saw a woman at dance class at the SCA totally unbutton her shirt, all the way down, exposing both breasts to all and sundry (she was not wearing anything underneath), and feed the baby from one, while merrily exposing the other. :eek: Everyone was made uncomfortable and awkward. And you can’t help but look twice, even if you are trying to be polite. So, uh…don’t do that and you should be fine. :stuck_out_tongue:

No problem.

There’s a group on Facebook:If breastfeeding offends you, put a blanket over YOUR head. This says in a nutshell pretty much how I feel about the matter.

100% comfortable with it. I see lots of stickers on storefront windows that say something like “breastfeeding, anywhere, anytime”.

It does make me go “yowzah” for a second but I have no problem with it.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

This might also be of interest; scroll down to see a more detailed state-by-state summary of related laws: http://www.ncsl.org/issuesresearch/health/breastfeedinglaws/tabid/14389/default.aspx

Not at all bothered.

No problem.

Fine by me.

No problems with it; did it myself for … counts … 7 months, 6 months, 2 years, and 4 years, respectively. :eek: :slight_smile:

Sometimes I might feel a little uncomfortable, depending on the situation. But I’m totally OK with it.

Not only is breastfeeding good for babies, but a hungry baby is a loud baby. And getting offended by something like this is ridiculously prudish. Go for it.

When I did it, I did it under cover. I don’t know if I would, today. But anybody else doing it? Go for it. As WhyNot said, “Baby gots to eat!”

I am, in fact, in favor of it being done more, just for the normalization.

And see, I really don’t like either. :smiley:

OK, I’ll post the unpopular opinion. I’m not offended by it, but I’d rather not hang around for it, either, if you can tell what’s going on. Yeah yeah, wonders of nature and motherhood and whatever. I’d rather not accidentally see my friend’s boob if there’s some urgent baby-shifting to be done, that kind of thing.

I’m not OK with it because it’s a wonder of nature, I’m OK with it because I don’t buy into the supposedly offensive nature of breasts.

I breastfed my 16-month-old in two different public places today. No covering, other than trying to keep my shirt as much over my boob as possible. Not bothered.