What happens when a US citizen dies abroad?

My niece was serving in the Peace Corps in Africa, and has died. I have no idea what will be expected of my sister in terms of getting the body back to the states.

If anyone has any experience with this kind of situation, I’d really appreciate hearing about it.

TIA,
Knead
Still in shock

No info, just sympathy.

And sympathetic shock-- Wow.
If you need to talk… we’re here.

(And if you want to have someone imply it was all your fault, we’re here for you in the Pit, too)

If she was in the Peace Corps she almost certainly had insurance to cover emergency medical evacuation and/or health insurance. Most of these coverages include repatriation of remains. Your sister needs to contact whoever she knows in the Peace Corps related to her daughter. They should know what to do. If she died on duty, so to speak, then her boss or someone should be on the ball here.

Any idea what happened?

ETA: If she doesn’t know anyone in the Peace Corps, she should call the embassy in the country where he daughter died.

I’m sorry to hear about this. If she was in the Peace Corps, they should do eveything themselves, and your sister should not have to do anything except claim the body upon arrival. It’s not as if your niece had been a private traveler.

EDIT: Each country the PC operates in has a main office and is responsible for the Volunteers. Your sister should be talking to the office in country and/or the main office in Washington. Or rather, they should be talking to her. I’m sensing your sister has been left to fend for herself? That does not sound like the operational procedures I’ve heard.

One of my friends’ parents used to work in consular services in Kathmandu, and that was one of the things they handled for Americans who died in Nepal. So: if the Peace Corps is not handling this for her, have her contact the U.S. embassy or consular services in that country. And please accept my sympathies on the loss of your niece.

Thanks all. We’re only a few hours in at this point, so I’m sure the wheels are turning. I’ve just driven from Charlotte to Columbia to be with my mother, and my sister is traveling from Bakersfield CA to Phoenix to be with her son. I expect she’ll be on the phone off and on all night.

The Peace Corps should take care of everything. If your sister feels that they haven’t handled things adequately, she needs to call the headquarters in DC and get on their case. Each Peace Corps country has its own office and director; she may want to contact him or her. The people in country can often give better information than those in DC.

My condolences to you and your family.

I am truly sorry for your loss.

My condolences.

If you encounter problems, contact your local congressman’s office. They will contact the State department or other agencies that can help. Usually the embassy in the foreign country is in the best position to deal with those situations.

Christ, I’m sorry. If you don’t feel you’re getting adequate response through the regular channels, call our reps in Congress. Clyburn’s up for reelection, if your mom’s in my district.

Condolences. In which country did your niece die? The US State Department provides this information; however, there may be some differences owing to local law.

I am so sorry. My sincere condolences.

As Kyla said, Peace Corps will handle everything. Unfortunately, this is something that each Peace Corps country has a plan for, and the logistics should be as smooth as they can make it given local circumstances. Logistically, think of it like the military- there is a system in place, and it usually works.

If she has not already contacted Peace Corps, she will want to call the Office of Special Services, open 24 hours a day, at 1-800-424-8580 ext. 1470 or 202-692-1470. While Peace Corps staff is capable of moving mountains in situations like this, if for some reason she is not happy with the response there are multiple channels for her to go through.

Once again, I am so sorry.

Thanks again to everyone for your condolences and information.

Just to follow-up, here is the official announcement from the Peace Corps: http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=resources.media.press.view&news_id=1621

That’s awful, my condolences.

I will be enormously proud if one of my nieces or nephews decides to do what yours did.

I suppose that if the Peace Corps Director is on the case, the sad repatriation business will be made as stress-free for your sister as they can make it. Again, you have my sympathies.

I’m so sorry for your loss.