The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

View Poll Results: Which part of the chicken wing do you prefer?
Wingette (flat middle section w/2 bones) 42 36.52%
Drumette (mini-drumstick) 50 43.48%
They're both equally great 22 19.13%
I don't like chicken wings 1 0.87%
I just like the tip! 0 0%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2010, 09:55 AM

Chicken wings: wingette or drumette?

When you eat chicken wings, do you prefer the wingette (the flat middle section w/2 bones) or the drumette (the mini-drumstick)?

Personally I prefer the wingette. The skin tends to get crispier because it doesn't have that bulb of fat that the drumette has, and the meat is always more tender and tastier.
Advertisements  
Old 10-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Drumette -- more meat and it's easier to get to.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Drumette. My wife likes the wingette, so it all works out.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:08 AM

Drums are less work/mess with no discernible taste difference.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper9760 View Post
Drums are less work/mess with no discernible taste difference.
i beg to differ.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:13 AM

Unlike the rest of the chicken, the mini-drumstick tastes like white meat and the wingette tastes more like dark meat. I prefer the drumette because of that.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

I like them both, but if I found someone who preferred the wingettes I'd be happy to just eat the drummies. My first choice, however, is not to share.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Wingette here. The meat seems more flavorful, I like the ratio of crispy skin to meat, and I enjoy pushing that bit of meat through the two bones.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:46 AM

Interesting. I always assumed that everyone preferred the wingette. I think that it has better flavor and texture. It also gives you a tongue exercise or middle finger exercise in order to get out the middle part. I know that this is not necessary if you use to 2 hands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRcOY-PvOC8

But I like to always keep one hand celan. I always thought that my friends were just being nice if they grabbed the drummette when wingettes were still available. I should've known.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Wingette here. The meat seems more flavorful, I like the ratio of crispy skin to meat, and I enjoy pushing that bit of meat through the two bones.
I like to pull the bones apart and suck on each one in order to get every tasty bit.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
Interesting. I always assumed that everyone preferred the wingette.
And I'm surprised in the other direction. I thought everyone preferred the drumette, since it's easier to handle and eat around. Whenever I gather around to eat wings, it seems like I'm the only one eating the wingettes. I'm surprised it's ahead in the poll so far. I would've guessed drumettes by a 2-to-1 margin.

ETA: Well, it's broke even now 9 votes each for wingette and drumette.

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-21-2010 at 12:01 PM..
Old 10-21-2010, 12:05 PM

I too would have thought that drumette would be the most popular given that some resauraunts (Hooters for one) will charge a little bit more for "All Drumsticks". Personally I like both, the drummies for the ease of eating, and wingettes for taste.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Tightlips View Post
I too would have thought that drumette would be the most popular given that some resauraunts (Hooters for one) will charge a little bit more for "All Drumsticks". Personally I like both, the drummies for the ease of eating, and wingettes for taste.
Right-on!

Do the kids still say "Right-on"? How about "Far-out"? "Solid"? "Exactimundo"?
Old 10-21-2010, 01:07 PM

I think wingettes might actually have more flavor, but they're so much more work that I went with drumettes.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Drumette. My wife likes the wingette, so it all works out.
Same with us.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:21 PM

I like wingettes. They're a bit more work but the extra flavor is worth it.

Also:
http://1000awesomethings.com/2009/01...-wing-partner/
Old 10-21-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I always assumed that everyone preferred the wingette. I think that it has better flavor and texture. It also gives you a tongue exercise or middle finger exercise in order to get out the middle part. I know that this is not necessary if you use to 2 hands:

I've been using this method to eat the wingettes for years, and ever since someone showed me, I've always preferred the wingettes over the drumettes. But then again, I'm a picker. I don't eat the drumette like it's an ear of corn. I pick the meat off the bone and then dip.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know that this is not necessary if you use to 2 hands:

Oh poops. Half the fun of chicken wings is eating around/sucking the bones. That method deprives me of both!
Old 10-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

I hate the idea of eating a sauce-covered item with my bare hands, and I'm not keen on piles of bones.

Beer and the lure of spicy chicken is often enough to break down these inhibitions, but not to the point of choosing pain-in-the-ass wings over drumsticks if there's a choice.

ETA: Next time I will definitely try the bone-first method, that looks like a huge improvement.

Last edited by Larry Mudd; 10-21-2010 at 01:40 PM..
Old 10-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Peep Ping Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
When you eat chicken wings, do you prefer the wingette (the flat middle section w/2 bones) or the drumette (the mini-drumstick)?

Personally I prefer the wingette. The skin tends to get crispier because it doesn't have that bulb of fat that the drumette has, and the meat is always more tender and tastier.
Great question- I was asking this very question the other day at home. Wingettes are the best. The drumettes are too meaty.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:45 PM
BANNED

Wings can not beat the drums.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:10 PM

Mmmm. Now I'm dyin' for some wings.

I'm heading straight to Wing Hub the second I get outta work!
Old 10-21-2010, 03:55 PM

The wingette has a higher skin/meat ratio so if the crispy, wing sauce slathered skin is what you're after (and it should be) the wingette is preferable. They're both good though.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

The way I've heard this question posed before was "Fatties or flatties?"

I like fatties, and my Jack Spratt best friend likes flatties. If I type or read one more word about wings I'm gonna have to change my dinner plans.

If I DO change my dinner plans I'm going to try the method in Jackknifed Juggernaut's linked video.

Aw geez...I might not have wings tonight but I will try that method. What I might have is a "inside ouut grilled cheese " (the next foodwishes video).

Why oh why do I look at food threads as the day winds down? The only purpose it serves is to make the dinner I've carefully chosen and partially prepared utterly disappointing.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

I've always preferred the drumette (since it's too hard to get the meat between the bones on the wingette), and felt a little guilty when I picked those out of a communal supply, since I assumed that everyone else preferred them, too. Now I know I don't have to feel guilty about it.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 PM

Wingette.

Since 78% of people (as of this writing) have a preference, I suggest we hold a rally at the Lincoln Memorial to urge the poultry industry to sell each separately.

I need a sign though.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:32 AM

Bah, that video's for people who have no passion, no fire. It's a wing, you need to get in there and experience it! "Oh, getting the little bit in the middle is too haaaard!" they say. Screw that. For wingies, you stick the whole damn thing in your mouth, fasten your teeth into the cartilage, and pull the wing out. Bam, all the delicious skin and most of the meat stripped off. Then a little poke with your finger and you nip out the super juicy little bit of chicken that lives in the middle.

Now, at this point, most people would set that wing aside, maybe take a sip of their diet shasta. Nuts to that, each end gets a suck...there's flavor in there! Nothing disturbs me more than the sight of a huge pile of bones with yummy at the ends. Why even get wings?

By the way, if anyone finds themselves in downtown Lincoln Nebraska and needing a good feed, check out The Watering Hole, and get the grilled wings. They've ruined me for chain fried wings forever...
Old 10-23-2010, 06:42 AM

I voted wingette, but it's close. Wingette gets the edge because there tends to be a bit of gristle on drumettes I'm not as fond of.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

I'm voting both. I used to hate the wingette but now that I have a technique for them, I don't mind them at all. I thinking wings for dinner today, for some reason.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:

But I like to always keep one hand celan. I always thought that my friends were just being nice if they grabbed the drummette when wingettes were still available. I should've known.
I just wanted to say I had some wings as a direct result of this thread and the method outlined in that video worked like a charm. The bones didn't pull out cleanly on a few pieces but for the most part it worked great!