Bloody Good Time, successor to The Ship $5 on steam/XBLA

This is the spiritual successor to The Ship (but not legally - a different publisher). The premise is that you’re on the movie set of a famous horror director… who makes the most authentic movies by actually having his actors killed.

In the default gameplay mode, you get a target that you must assassinate, and someone else has you as their target. You get punished for killing random people. No one knows who’s targetting who except that every hunter knows their target and their general location.

The game has up to 16 players running around, all with a different agenda, and you need to try to figure out who your hunter is while finding your own prey, while also disguising your intentions.

You get a number of fame points (the game’s score) based on which weapon you use (the least used weapons become more valuable until someone uses one), and whether or not you taunt and humiliate your target.

You have sims-style needs to take care of - sleep, food, and bathroom - you’re vulnerable while you take a few seconds to take care of them, but if you don’t, you’ll start suffering penalties. One of the first times I was killed was when I snuck off to use the bathroom, my killer found me, and sent a remote controlled explosive rat. Blew me right off the toilet. That’s how my grandpa went too.

The game is more cartoony than the ship - the art is stylized and the weapons are more over the top. It ranges from frying pans to rocket launchers. There are now “murder aids” like a tranquilizer gun and things along that line to disable your prey and your hunters.

There are also more types of games. It has 3 minute rounds, about 10 of which are played every map. Most of them are the default game mode (the hunt) but sometimes it throws in others. In one, for example, it becomes a zombie film where half the players are infected and the other aren’t, and you have to touch one of the uninfected players as a zombie to pass it on and be cured yourself. There’s another game mode where you try to get ahold of a golden-globe type award and hold it while everyone else tries to hunt you down. There are several other game modes that I haven’t played yet.

Like the ship, unfortunately the weapon placement is random. It’d be much more interesting if, say, a kitchen knife was the top-rated weapon to kill with, so people naturally gravitated towards the kitchen to get some. Instead, you get boxes around the map spawning random weapons. And so far there are only 3 maps, although they seem to be well made.
Anyway, it’s only $5 and I’m having a blast. At this price everyone should try it.

We already have 8 SDMBers with the game so I’ll be hosting some SDMB-exclusive games soon. If you aren’t already there, join the SDMB steam community group and add me (senorbeef) as a friend.

Downloading now.

Will let you know when I have it.

I’m all gamed out for tonight but I’ll be hosting games tomorrow afternoon. There are 14 of us now that have the game (it’s designed for 8 players but can host as many as 16) so we should have no trouble filling private games.

I was wrong on a point in my first impressions - the weapon spawns aren’t random, they’re fixed. So once you learn the maps you can go to the area with whatever weapons are worth the most at the moment.

So far the game seems fun but it is confusing me.

Guess it will take some practice.

I expect to get my ass handed to me when we play. :wink:

Wow. It basically IS The Ship, right down to managing your needs, and having to avoid/evade guards. It’s just as fun, too.

It’s somewhat simplified at first glance. There are fewer needs to take care of and more time to do it, the rounds are shorter, the maps are perhaps smaller, the weapon placing is kind of simpler (they’re in easy to see open suitcases rather than having to look through drawers and stuff), but yeah, pretty similar. It’s more fast paced and cartoony. And 1/4th the price.

I never actually bought the ship, just played free weekends a few times, convinced it was going to go on sale sometime soon and it never did. I wish I’d just bought it. The Random Weapon Box Of Doom factor really bothered me - it seemed silly to place such importance on which weapons you need, and then have crates on a few place in the map that tended to just give you 5 or 6 random weapons.

BGT is actually better and worse in that way. Better in that the weapons always spawn in the same spot, so if the crossbow is the highest valued weapon, everyone knows where to go to get it, but there are no longer any sort of organic/integral weapons. In the ship, about half of the weapons would be somewhere logical - frying pans in the kitchen, you’d find razor blades by searching through the drawers in cabin quarters, a revolver in the security guard’s desk, etc - but in BGT they’re all just sitting openly in briefcases. I guess it sort of makes sense - the ship had a more realistic slant on the weapons (razor blades, golf clubs, etc) that you could plausibly place in natural places, but where would you stick a flamethrower or rocket launcher on a movie set?

Incidentally, they are doing a fucking horrible job of marketing this game. I wouldn’t even have known what it was except I had just coincidentally looked into the ship recently to see if the community was still alive and they were talking about BGT.

But from the game’s page, they don’t even make it clear that the gameplay is unique and different. They make it sound like it’s just a quirky cartoony deathmatch game with goofy weapons. So the primary selling point of the game isn’t even mentioned at all. Which makes me wonder if the game will even sell.

I’m not sure ubisoft even cared about the game though. I think they might’ve just bought out the Outerlight team specifically so they wouldn’t get sued when they made the multiplayer component to the new assassin’s creed game, which pretty much rips off the ship entirely.

I am having the problem where BGT does not close.

Well, it does close such that it is no longer running but Steam thinks it is still running. I can’t stop Stem because it says BGT is running.

Yeah that happens sometimes. Open the task manager and kill bgt.exe

I’m going to probably start an SDMB private game in about an hour (3pm eastern), so if you want to play make sure everything is installed and your options are set. If you are new to the game I’ll explain it to you. The server will be named “SDMB” and the password will be “beef”. If you’re on my friends list just ask for an invite.

We should have enough people around to fill an 8 player game and I’ll probably leave it at 16 max in case more people come.

Well we had 7 people which was cool, but people had to go off and do real life stuff. I’m going to try to run another game around 7-8pm eastern when people are back.

Well I can’t do that. For the first time ever for some unknown reason I can’t log into my steam account. I’ll get one going later if I can get on.

Well I’d hoped to host a few games over the weekend, but I’ve still got an ongoing account issue. Hopefully fixed by tomorrow.

And just as I say that, I figured out how to fix it.

I wish there was a way to tell what game mode is being played in the server browser. I tried to play a few games earlier, but kept connecting to Deathmatch servers. Not nearly as fun as The Hunt. Especially when you keep getting spawn-camped, and defenseless without a weapon.

There’s some way to go into a screen that gives you more details about the game, including game mode. I forget exactly how.

Yeah, why people play this game as deathmatch I don’t know. I think it may be because there seem to be a lot of idiots who bought the game thinking it was a deathmatch game (and since it seems to be advertised that way, I guess they aren’t totally to blame) and it’s just not that interesting that way.
Anyway, I’m gonna be hosting our first big game tomorrow night at 8pm eastern. We’ll probably have the game overflowing with how many people bought it.

We’ve got a big game going. The friends function is going wonky at the moment so I can’t send invites, but you can find us by going to the server browser and finding server “SDMB” and password beef.

I’m took late for tonight’s game, but I’m downloading. You early adopters should have waited for the 10% off. That’s 50 whole cents of savings, pal.

Anyway, after much lurking, I’ve joined the SDMB group and am looking forward to some BGT or other games. While I never played The Ship, I was intrigued and am looking forward to BGT.

We had 11 people in Monday’s game, which worked out pretty well. I scheduled another game for 8:15pm eastern tomorrow, hope everyone can show up.