Lord James of Blackheath: unearthed Illuminati conspiracy or completely nuts?

Two days ago Lord James of Blackheath (a Conservative life peer in the UK House of Lords) said the following in the house of Lords:

Don’t believe it happened? Check Hansard, the official record of the Commons and Lords. Click here, and search for Column 1538.

Is this guy completely insane? Or is there really a shadowy organisation that’s offering the UK Government incredible amounts of money?

Two things spring to mind:

Is this guy admitting a crime, in the laundering of money for the IRA and for “north African terrorists”? And is he saying that the Bank of England was knowingly complicit in that crime (or worse)?

Second, what “eminent City firm” (as I understand it, “City firm” would refer to a financial firm like a bank, headquartered in the financial district of London) would use the term “megabucks”? Are they so Americanized as that?

(Third, what is FSA?)

I am fascinated, and await further developments.
Roddy

It is the Financial Services Authority.

It is akin to the Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) in the United States except in the United Kingdom.

It would help if you’d put in your sources for those long “Lord James of Blackheath” (man, peerage really sounds like getting into a superhero team and choosing your own kickass name) quotes you provided.

I did.

Yeah, what I was thinking too.

Megabucks is a widely understood and used expression. City firm refers to some bank or financial company in the City of London, yes. FSA is the financial regulator in the UK.

The mysterious foundation is probably these bizarre pranksters:

Although god knows what he’s going on about with the terrorist money laundering.

I was about to say that £5 billion didn’t sound like very much, but that’s a British billion (1,000,000 x 1,000,000) not an American billion (1,000 x 1,000,000), correct?

Actually, probably an American billion. He goes on to mention the possibility of a £17 billion gift for a rail link, as well as other possibilities further into his speech.

Pretty sure even Brits don’t use the British billion anymore.

The Treasury stopped using it at some point in the 1970s, I think.

Indeed, the OITC does claim to be the largest single owner of gold and platinum bullion in the world. Whoever it is, Lord James and others seem to be taking them seriously.

Which is reason enough for not taking Lord James seriously.

I suspect Lord James might be “getting on a bit”, and the other Lords are being kind.

The OITC Website: http://www.unoitc.org

Their domain registration info: Whois Lookup Captcha

I checked out 1133 Connecticut Avenue, 20036 on Google Earth. It looks like a “Filene’s Basement”. Searching Google for “Filene’s Basement 20036” gives me this page: filene's basement 20046 - Google Search

Which does show that that is the address of a “Filene’s Basement”. :confused:

1133 Connecticut Ave. is a mid-sized office building with a Filene’s Basement on the first floor. Googling the address seems to show a variety of law, PR, consulting, and finance firms with a sprinkling of medical offices.

Video of the session in the Lords. Skip forward to 2hr 34mins.

Charlie Stross has a good discussion of it here. The general consensus seems to be something along the lines of ‘questionably sane Lord (see the Goering and kangaroo song link in the thread) duped by internet fraudsters’.

I’m fascniated by the IRA and North African money laundering backstories though.

Exactly. That address seems to be some kind of front.

Re: Billion.

Yep, the old imperial figure for a billion was archaic 20 years ago. If you see ‘One Billion’ being mentioned anywhere in a British context these days it’s the American value, 1000 million.

Not at all.

There was: but now I am so heartsick and embarrassed by this furore, I have decided instead to give the money to UNICEF provided it is used solely to establish restaurants for hungry cats.