In your opinion: What's a sandwich?

In another thread, someone describes a hamburger as a “Sandwich.”

I’ve noticed this before, and wonder if it’s a regionalism. I’ve never heard someone in real life call a hamburger a “sandwich.” A hamburger is a hamburger, or a burger. It is not a sandwich. To be, a sandwich is two peices of bread with stuff in the middle.

Of the choices offered, which are sandwiches?

Burgers are definitely sandwiches.

You even said it - bread with stuff in the middle. A burger is two pieces of bread with stuff in the middle. So is a hot dog. Kind of a specialty sandwich, but a sandwich, nonetheless.

Personally, a sandwich is bread with stuff in the middle. Everything else is known by their sub-group, although they are still technically “sandwiches.”

Open-faced sandwich always seemed like a contradiction to me.

I voted “something else” as every category except open face is a sandwich.

Sandwich means two things with some other thing in between(such as being sandwiched between two other people in a car) .

A sandwich is the first description on your list.

A burger is a burger.

A sub is a sub.

A sloppy joe is a sloppy joe.

I wonder if the people who refer to these as ‘sandwiches’ are the same prople who call all varieties of soda ‘a coke’? Hmmmmmmm…

All of the above. Any kind of filling between any kind of bread served at any temperature.

For me, the key to a sandwich is that it can theoretically be eaten while held in one hand and that there is bread protecting your hand from the filling. Bread with stuff in the middle sure. But hand held is also, I think, key.

Pita Pockets, Taco’s, Quesadilla’s, Hamburgers, Hotdogs and Ruben’s are all sandwiches. Open-Faced sandwiches, ironically, are not.

A sandwich can be hot or cold, but it requires a straight edge and corners - that is axiomatic to the theory of sandwiches. Where are the corners in a burger? Nowhere, my friend.

All of the above except “open-faced sandwiches,” which I consider a distinct category. I never refer to hamburgers as sandwiches myself, but definitionally I consider them to be part of that same group.

All of the above except ‘open-faced sandwiches’.

+1

Open-faced sandwiches aren’t sandwiches, as the name implies. If you allow them to be classed as sandwiches then you get into sticky territory, would peanut butter on a slice of bread have to be classed as a sandwich as well, or jam on toast? Nah, not going to wash with this sarnie-lover! Two pieces of bread (or a piece of bread cut as in a hotdog) with something in between, hot or cold.

EDIT: I seem to recall in the film Good Will Hunting Casey Affleck refers to his burger as a sandwich. The film is set in Massachusetts and Matt Damon (one of the writers) was born there, so that might help with localising usage. shrug

All those are clearly sandwiches to me, with the possible/probable exception of open-faced sandwiches. (I grew up on all sorts of open-faced sandwiches–they were by far the preferred form in my house, so I really have no problem with lopping them in with sandwiches. But I can see the point against them.) By what definition is a hamburger not a type of sandwich?

Any of the above.

Open face sandwiches aren’t true sandwiches because you can’t eat them bare-handed. Not without making a huge mess, anyway. (I’m thinking about things like sloppy joes and turkey ‘n’ gravy)

Anything with bread and meat/cheese/veggies that you can eat in one hand while playing cards.

Open face sandwiches are not sandwiches, but are simply a variety of the topping over bread or mashed potato style. Shit on a shingle, and the like.

Two pieces of bread with stuff in the middle, served hot or cold.

A turkey sandwich is a sandwich. A tuna sandwich is a sandwich. But grilled cheese is also a sandwich, and so is a Reuben and a Monte Cristo.

A sub/hoagie/grinder, though, is one of <–those things, not a “sandwich.”

A hamburger is a hamburger, and a hot dog is a hot dog.

Anything between two pieces (or ON one piece) of bread is a sandwich. That is the parent name of that category of food. Then, it is further broken up by types of sandwiches. A tuna melt is an open-faced sandwich, a hamburger is a fast food sandwich and so on and so forth.

:smiley:

What if you put the hamburger or hot dog in a bun – i.e., between two pieces of bread?

A sandwich is anything that “sandwiches” something together between bread. Temperature and content of the filling doesn’t matter.